Author Topic: Netflix movies (continued from 4/15 show)  (Read 13107 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Netflix movies (continued from 4/15 show)
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
This was discussed on the show last night - for those who weren't listening, it was suggested that those of us with Netflix should find a movie that we think they probably only own 1 copy of and all add it to our queue. There was also discussion of possibly marking the envelope so that the next person knows an FOT had it before.

The calls from last night's show kinda focused on bad music-centric movies, so it is in this vein that I suggest Disorderlies, the 1987 feature film debut for rap juggernaut The Fat Boys. It seems some guy with a gambling problem wants his rich old uncle to die so he can inherit his fortune, so to do this he hires the worst orderlies he can find. Can you guess who those orderlies might be? Three Stooges-style hijinks ensue, complete with lots of "BOING!" side effects.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Netflix movies (continued from 4/15 show)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:24:50 AM »
I've come across "Disorderlies" a number of times on cable; I'm worried they might have a number of copies. I suggested "Sextette" in the chat last night:

"In her final film -- an adaptation of the play she penned -- Mae West vamps it up as Marlo Manners, an aging movie star who's just married her sixth husband, a handsome young aristocrat (Timothy Dalton). And while the only thing on her mind is bedding the groom, a flood of comic forces serves to interrupt her honeymoon plans. The star-studded cast includes Dom DeLuise, Ringo Starr, George Hamilton, Keith Moon, Tony Curtis and Alice Cooper."

edit: Never mind! Looks like Netflix doesn't have it.

furnstein

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »
I mentioned to Tom that Netflix just shipped this DVD from Seattle to Philadelphia, so this might be a good choice for this project:

I imagine it is a disappointing documentary (probably lots of generic "psychedelic rock" under footage of Syd's first acid trip), but I figured I'd give it a go for possible live footage and the bonus feature of Robyn Hitchcock playing "Dominoes."

Any suggestions on marking the envelope?

I think I've only had a few DVDs that had to ship across country: the incredible Burt Reynolds movie "Hooper" and a Sherlock Holmes movie (which arrived cracked, so it made the 5 day wait even more painful).

noise.light

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:57:30 AM »
How about this one?

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »
I suggested "Sextette" in the chat last night

I once saw a theatrical screening of this as part of a "Thanksgiving Turkeys" movie marathon - HOLY MOLY. Makes Zardoz look like Citizen Kane. Keith Moon's performance is breathtaking. You can practically see a cloud of cocaine floating around his head during his scenes. FOT-marked or no, everyone should see this before they die.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »
from the land of pleasant living

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
I don't know if they'd have few enough copies of Clifford or ABBA: The Movie, but I like the idea of it being either of those. That or something weird like Disc Four of the Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: The Complete Series DVD box set, which they really shouldn't need more than one copy of.

Or maybe something from the Hal Needham collection. Sadly, they don't seem to carry "Bandit: Bandit Bandit", the most awesomely-named of the '90s Smokey and the Bandit TV movie revivals. But they do seem to have Hal Needham's final film, Hard Time: Hostage Hotel.

"A psychotic Vietnam vet (Keith Carradine) kidnaps a prominent politician's wife and daughter and holds them for ransom in an abandoned building. A has-been pair of cops, Logan (Burt Reynolds) and Charlie (Charles Durning), are called in to handle the situation because they're the best hostage negotiators on the force, but this job may prove too tough even for them, as they must frantically race against time -- and a ticking bomb."
This may be the year I will disappear.

furnstein

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
I don't know if they'd have few enough copies of Clifford or ABBA: The Movie, but I like the idea of it being either of those. That or something weird like Disc Four of the Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: The Complete Series DVD box set, which they really shouldn't need more than one copy of.

Or maybe something from the Hal Needham collection. Sadly, they don't seem to carry "Bandit: Bandit Bandit", the most awesomely-named of the '90s Smokey and the Bandit TV movie revivals. But they do seem to have Hal Needham's final film, Hard Time: Hostage Hotel.

"A psychotic Vietnam vet (Keith Carradine) kidnaps a prominent politician's wife and daughter and holds them for ransom in an abandoned building. A has-been pair of cops, Logan (Burt Reynolds) and Charlie (Charles Durning), are called in to handle the situation because they're the best hostage negotiators on the force, but this job may prove too tough even for them, as they must frantically race against time -- and a ticking bomb."

"Hooper" might be the best choice if you want to go with a sentimental favorite.  They had to ship it to me from the Southwest when I ordered it a few months ago (I have since bought my own copy).

noise.light

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »

Hard Time sounds great but then again I'm a fan of anything featuring any one of the Carradine boys.

And I've never heard of Bandit: Bandit Bandit but it IS an awesomely-named flick.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
what about the patton oswalt referenced, Deathbed: The Bed That Eats (People)?

i imagine they only have one (if any) copy.

Bryan Stoll

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
I found this DVD called Sanity: Live at 22. It's a music dvd, and it has the least ratings I've seen on Netflix (57).

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sanity_Live_at_22/70028607?trkid=226871

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »
What about the four hour documentary of Cat Power playing guitar in the woods called Cat Power Speaking For Trees Neflix actually has this.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZQAABdAsfQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZQAABdAsfQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:53 AM »
I don't really like Cat Power, but I think Mark Borthwick is awesome.

Not awesome enough to watch that thing though.

WavyGravy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
Titicut Follies?
"Stupid mexican"

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »
I was going to say Two Lane Blacktop since it has been in my long wait since I started Netflix but I finally got it yesterday so they might have made more copies available.

That Pink Floyd/ Syd Barrett doc was recommended to me too. Maybe a FOT has seen it. If so, is it worth seeing?