Author Topic: THE BEST SHOW ON WFMU WORLD DOMINATION SCHEME, PHASE ONE. YOUR IDEAS HERE!  (Read 46964 times)

Monkula

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: THE BEST SHOW ON WFMU WORLD DOMINATION SCHEME, PHASE ONE. YOUR IDEAS HERE!
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
Quote from: Sarah on August 21, 2008, 02:51:19 PM
I hate the idea of spoon-feeding the show to people.  I think everyone should have to go through the early period of confusion that gradually blossoms into understanding and appreciation, followed by compulsive immersion in the archives.

Zoopaced.mp3:
http://tinyurl.com/69kh37

Best Show quality at Morning Zoo pace. A potent brew.

I am torn. On the one hand, Sarah has a darn good point. It was the pacing that pulled me into the Best Show orbit in the first place. But on the other hand, Lemke's clip had me laughing like a braying donkey.

There are several funny non-sequiturs here, but the Best Show packs the biggest wallop in a long form format. The first time someone takes the time to hear a memorable win top to bottom, they'll be hooked.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »
Check out what I saw on iTunes today. Sorry for the tiny image.  It was in the "What We're Listening To" section.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »
Yeah, I checked the podcast directory for the first time in who knows how long, and what did I see but a huge banner ad at the top of the page for TBSOWFMU.  I was moved to write a review!  I'm the one-star guy who says the 87 other reviews are planted*.

*not really
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

JamesU

• Policemans heel
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:26 PM »
Check out what I saw on iTunes today. Sorry for the tiny image.  It was in the "What We're Listening To" section.

Its also now #43 in the top 100 comedy podcasts and #14 when ya exclude the video ones!

Top ten is within our reach. Lets do this.

erechoveraker

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
Will giving negative reviews to other podcasts help The Best Show get on top? I hope so, because making fun of Smodcasts sure is fun!

Come on, Jason

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
It'd be awesome if Tom did a live remote Best Show from a venue like Maxwells, Comix, or the UCB Senior.

Book a couple guests, introduce a topic for callers AND audience members, and videotape the crap out of it.

Or webcast it!  I'm sure it would be easy to wrangle up volunteers for that kind of thing, and it could help expose the show to a larger audience. 

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:59 AM »
It'd be awesome if Tom did a live remote Best Show from a venue like Maxwells, Comix, or the UCB Senior.

Book a couple guests, introduce a topic for callers AND audience members, and videotape the crap out of it.

Or webcast it!  I'm sure it would be easy to wrangle up volunteers for that kind of thing, and it could help expose the show to a larger audience. 

A good idea, but I'm not sure if Tom's up for it. He's said in the past that he's more comfortable in the studio than in front of an audience.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

A good idea, but I'm not sure if Tom's up for it. He's said in the past that he's more comfortable in the studio than in front of an audience.

and it takes away from the concept that is the lost art of radio.

Pete from oz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
I have a couple of ideas:
  • Setting a world record might get attention - maybe something like Philly Boy Roy trying to eat as many hoagies as possible in three hours?
  • Or having the first annual Best Show day where on a specific day FOTs take over the internet and talk up the Best Show on their blog, vlogs, message boards, facebooks, myspaces, etc.  I can see it starting out slowly but gaining more and more support until it becomes a worldwide phenomenon.  Kind of like that christmas thing.   

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
I like this Best Show Day idea.  I just participated in a group book review project at a site called The Valve, and it was pretty cool.  I bet our aggregate web presence is pretty sizeable.  When should we do it?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
What's Tom's birthday? Or Dogmo's?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
I also like this Best Show Day idea.  I'll fire up the blog, twitter, whatever. 

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

According to Facebook, February 9.  Do we want to wait that long?

I'm going to brag about something that no sane person should care about: Thomas Frank linked to my little blog poot about The Wrecking Crew.  So this might somehow be forget it it's totally irrelevant!!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »
Thomas Frank of Baffler/What's The Matter With Kansas/etc fame?  Nice.

According to Facebook, February 9.  Do we want to wait that long?

I'm going to brag about something that no sane person should care about: Thomas Frank linked to my little blog poot about The Wrecking Crew.  So this might somehow be forget it it's totally irrelevant!!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2008, 06:01:35 AM »
Yep!  Though it was probably just the work of an intern or assistant googling for links.  Still kinda neat.

So I am serious about this Best Show Blitz.  Any more date ideas?  Should I call the show Tuesday and ask Tom about a good date for it?