Author Topic: Is there anyone involved with Best Show, listerner/contributor, that isnt a....  (Read 10112 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
I am a vegetarian. But I miss meat.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
I really don't miss meat at all.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
where's yesno?

Cake is better than pie.

I am chewing on an old rib bone right now. I dip it in this can of Karo.

the south will make you change your priorities.  i was a vegetarian when i moved to memphis and that didnt last long.  then i became a hybrid- eating chicken but still gnawing on boca burgers and soy crumbles.  then we moved next to the bbq shop:

(that first white door is me!)

Pidgeon

where's yesno?

Cake is better than pie.

I am chewing on an old rib bone right now. I dip it in this can of Karo.

the south will make you change your priorities.  i was a vegetarian when i moved to memphis and that didnt last long.  then i became a hybrid- eating chicken but still gnawing on boca burgers and soy crumbles.  then we moved next to the bbq shop:

(that first white door is me!)

I grew up on North Carolina bbq, and at this point I never want to eat/see/hear about it ever again.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
I just started counting calories and working out in a concerted effort to lose weight for the first time ever, so this issue is at the forefront of my mind right now. After realizing that the two pieces of BBQ pork I ate for dinner were more than half of the daily calories I require as a heavy 6 foot* tall guy, I started strongly weighing the options of being a vegetarian.

Back in the day I cut out meat completely after reading a PETA pamphlet, but that was for the reasons of cruelty alone and sadly my bleeding heart wasn't bloody enough to keep the flesh from my lips for long. Aside from that incident, I have loved meat all my life. Now, all of a sudden, with the knowledge of how unhealthy it is coupled with the already accepted murderous aspects, I think I have to do it again as an adult. But seriously, how?

I suppose I'm asking you veggies for your input. How did you quit? Why do you keep it up? Does your life taste horrible, and if not, how did you avoid that? Please, help me understand better, so I can make this decision properly.

*Fine. 5' 11".

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
iambaronvontito: BBQ SHOP RULES SUPREME.

my wife is from memphis, and no trip there is complete for either of us without a trip to the bbq shop. THE BEST.

yesno

• Space Champion!
If you want to lose weight, may I recommend not drinking alcohol.  This is hateful advice to some people.  But it works!  And instead of doing exercise per se, see if you can bike or walk to work.  That is the end of my weight loss advice.

People tend to eat like 4 kinds of meat.  There's a lot more variety viarity in the plant kingdom, flavor-wise.  Also, junk food meat has been very well replicated by Science.  I enjoy Quorn nuggets, veggie corn dogs, and various veggie burgers.  I assume if you're motivated to quit eating meat, you will.  But if you don't *really* want to, you won't.  It's not like smoking or anything where you'll get obsessed.  Just eat a slice of pizza and some trail mix or other delicious vegetarian treats.  Once you stop being hungry, cravings go away.  Most cravings are for fat or salt or something, anyway.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
iambaronvontito: BBQ SHOP RULES SUPREME.

my wife is from memphis, and no trip there is complete for either of us without a trip to the bbq shop. THE BEST.

have you guys been to rendevouz?  people say that place is awesome, but ive never been.  also, a trip to gus' fried chicken downtown is always worth it.

Come on, Jason

Yes, Tom is making us all turn vegetarian to earn his love and gain entrance into his cult. 
If you've read Millroy the Magnificent, it's pretty much the same deal around here.

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis

*Fine. 5' 11".

You are so short! I bet you aren't a real man, even!
I have a long history of booing

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
I suppose I'm asking you veggies for your input. How did you quit? Why do you keep it up? Does your life taste horrible, and if not, how did you avoid that? Please, help me understand better, so I can make this decision properly.

i just decided that i would rather fill my tummy with greens more than greasy food.  i felt better when i was done eating (less lethargic) and i have fun doing things like going to the farmer's market, etc. looking for good fruit and veggies.  i dont get the same feeling with meat (that's more of a personal preference than actual reason) while i watch it hang there.  i like picking up the fruit and the veggies, smelling them, picking each one up and touching to see if its soft or hard enough, ripe, et al.  its a fun experience to go grocery shopping for me.

similar to yesno's advice, i also stopped drinking beer; additionally, i REFUSE to walk down the chip/soda aisle and the frozen food aisle (too many snacks for me to grab).  i cut soda and i drink only water and tea.  i will admit to indugling in beer but its down to bi-monthly (if that) instead of weekly or daily.  i work out EVERY DAY, park in the last, furthest spot at work, and walk everywhere i can instead of driving (a habit i developed moving back to AZ- luckily i live in a place that encourages this).  i started all this the first week of march and ive already had to buy a new pair of jeans (the jeans i wore originally were snug).  anyway...

lets hear it for making positive changes and creating a better self image!

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
iambaronvontito:

gus's on front street? AWESOME. tho when we went home a while back, us and her fambly ate at a gus's that was in a strip mall somewhere else in town and was nowhere near as good. i think i lost street cred with them (the inlaws) because i'd been talking it up for forever; i'd have to do some slick talking to get them over to front street now, i think.

have not tried rendezvous ... i am nutty about payne's. we both love soulfish. howard's donuts = killer. it's a very good thing we don't live there, else i'd weigh about 400 lbs.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
regular joe:

if you want a few hundred things in favor of vegetarianism, do check out madhur jaffrey's "world vegetarian." it's incredible - ridiculously flavorful veggie dishes from all corners of the globe, and set forth in terms that make it difficult for beginner cooks (like me) to eff things up. like the recipe for doubles, fer instance: a very spicy trinidadian chickpea deal that makes just about all other food irrelevant.

we eat meat in this house, but infrequently ... it's honestly pretty boring compared to well-done veggie dishes.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
iambaronvontito:

gus's on front street? AWESOME. tho when we went home a while back, us and her fambly ate at a gus's that was in a strip mall somewhere else in town and was nowhere near as good. i think i lost street cred with them (the inlaws) because i'd been talking it up for forever; i'd have to do some slick talking to get them over to front street now, i think.

have not tried rendezvous ... i am nutty about payne's. we both love soulfish. howard's donuts = killer. it's a very good thing we don't live there, else i'd weigh about 400 lbs.

soulfish is great!  when im in cooper young, ill go to soulfish or celtic crossing (pricy, but good).  

as far as vegetarian food in CY, i love going to square foods:

they have great sandwiches.  otherwise, late nite dining means indulging in CK's Diner (cheap! cheap! cheap!).

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
I eat nothing but chicken quesadillas.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!