Author Topic: Chris Knox: Stroke  (Read 2034 times)

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Chris Knox: Stroke
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Pat K

Re: Chris Knox: Stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
I can't wait to get my hands on that album. I saw the tracklist somewhere or other, and it's a really impressive roster of acts.

He's such an unsung/undersung talent. It's a shame that it takes a misfortune like this to get people talking about him, but that's how it works all too often. Everyone should pick up a copy of this!
I'm warning you with peace and love.

moonshake

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
I saw a shovel article saying Merge will distribute this in the US in Feb 2010.

I've only listened to Beat, Hello Cruel World and the Toy Love comp Cuts. Pat, do you have anything to recommend besides those? I would recommend Cuts to anyone who hasn't heard it. It's tons of fun.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Kim Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »
I'm not Pat, but I can recommend some stuff!

Hello Cruel World is a great Tall Dwarfs album, but so is Fork Songs! It's noisy and poppy and wonderful.

Regarding solo stuff:

Beat, which you mentioned, is a great album. I also recommend Meat. It combines a couple of Chris Knox albums that are kind of tricky to find, though I think even Meat is also out of print. You can find it used on Amazon. Some crazy on Amazon is trying to sell a "new" copy for $100. "Not Given Lightly" is on that album, and it's probably my favorite love song ever.

I like the One Fell Swoop EP because it has a really killer cover of ABBA's "S.O.S." As you may know, Flying Nun put out a fun ABBA tribute record called Abbasalutely. The Tall Dwarfs cover "On and On and On," but I think the real stand-out on that comp is the 3Ds' lovingly faithful cover of "Mamma Mia."

I also like Yes!! a lot, as well as Songs of You and Me.

It's almost sad how good that Chris Knox and the Nothing album he put out in 2005 was. It's good to see how animated he is in that video, but I hope he regains his voice... He was still relatively young, and I know he has more great songs and albums in him.
Too soon?

moonshake

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
Thanks not Pat! I will try to track down some of those. I had to check allmusic to see if one of us had made a typo, but no, there is a Beat and there is a Meat.
-Tom Scharpling

Kim Kelly

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »
Oops! I did have a little typo. The first "Meat" was supposed to be "Beat." Obviously. Or not so obviously. Idk.
Too soon?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
Is Jeff Mangum going to be involved?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pat K

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with all of Ms. Kelly's recommendations on this thread.  I haven't heard that One Fell Swoop EP - I'll have to get on that!
I'm warning you with peace and love.