Author Topic: The WFMU Fundraising Marathon! Support The Best Show On WFMU!!!  (Read 8059 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Hello, friends.

As you may have heard, the 2007 WFMU fundraising marathon is upon us again. It lasts for two whole weeks, from March 5-18, and it is how WFMU earns enough money to keep doing what it does all year long - two weeks of fundraising for fifty weeks of fun. If you didn't know, WFMU is a completely listener-sponsored station - we're not an NPR deal - what we do is 100 percent Up To Us. Nobody tells WFMU what to do. And that's what makes the station so special... but it's also the reason that you HAVE to show your support and pledge.

And this is the time to show the support for The Best Show On WFMU. WFMU allows me to do the show the way I want to do it. They don't shape or suggest or veto anything. Again, 100 percent Up To Us. They are the ones who put the show on the air, the ones who host the bountiful archives, and the ones who make the podcast possible (more on that in a minute!). They took a chance on a very unconventional show, so now it's time to say thanks, to stand up and be counted - even if you don't have much to give. It all adds up.

Now to the podcast. The numbers have been extremely disappointing regarding subscribers. It honestly does take a fair amount of work from a few people to bring that podcast to you every Thursday. We've been doing it for a year or so now, and it's at a crossroads. So I've decided to let the podcast people be counted, once and for all.

I am looking to get ONE HUNDRED PLEDGES from fans of the podcast. You guys need to step up and do it!

How do you pledge, podcast people? Go to www.wfmu.org and just enter in your pledge there. It's simple. And when you get to the COMMENTS section, say 'I support the podcast!' Non-podcast people can call 800-989-9368. If you choose to vote by calling the 800 number, we'll count it, but everyone on the biz end of things would prefer online pledges from the podcast people.

You can also go to www.wfmu.org to check out all the awesome prizes you get for pledging at different levels - t-shirts and whatnot. But everyone who pledges 75 bucks or more DURING MY SHOW automatically gets my exclusive premium - "The Best You Can Do Is Be Worse Than The Best Show 2007 Victory Fun Pack!" This package includes a 60 minute CD with BRAND NEW AND EXCLUSIVE MATERIAL recorded by SCHARPLING AND WURSTER! That's right, me and Jon knocked out all kinds of new stuff, and I'm telling you, it is great. Do you like Zachary Brimstead? He's on there. How's about Philly Boy Roy? You can hear a section of his motivational speaking tape! You'll also get a Best Show sticker and something else awesome!

So let's make it happen, people! This is the moment! Are you going to stand up for something awesome like WFMU? Are you going to do the right thing?

I know the answer to that. So do me a solid - call 800-989-9368 or go to www.wfmu.org tomorrow night 8-11 PM EST and support freeform radio! Support The Best Show On WFMU! Support all those laughs you've gotten all year long!

Thank you.

Tom.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The WFMU Fundraising Marathon! Support The Best Show On WFMU!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
Does it matter when us podcast people pledge?

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:04:40 AM »
I'm guessing Tom would prefer that we all pledge during his show, whether we call or do it online.  I know I was scolded last year for pledging early.  I wept for days.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »
Okay, I will make sure to pledge during Tom Time.

Mark

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »
I'm psyched to pledge during the show, but I kind of want to call up despite being a proud podcast supporter. If doing so really esses things up, I'll pledge online. I guess I'll get a feel for degree of irritation such an act might cause during the early part of the show before I make any decision.

pigasus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
I TALKED TO AUGUST.
...Gorcey?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »
I don't know how all the podcast count works - but I must tell you, there are 13 subscribers through Bloglines.  So I wonder if you added up all the blog services, I bet it's getting downloaded a good bit more than you might think.

PS I just pledged - if you haven't, get on it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »
I pledge tonight but my support for the podcast was not noted on the air.

I want my voted counted!! This aint Florida 2000!!
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.

Mark

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »
My podcast support was noted on air, but my good guys support went unspoken.

JimmyKustes

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:58 AM »
100 podcast pledgers is the Ladies Night of 2007.

chillibubba

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 01:27:39 AM »
Hi All,
I'm a podcast listener down in Sydney Australia.  I LOVE the podcast!  I've given $75.  It was not actually during The Best Show, I hope this still counts. 
 Please do your best everyone.  We all get a lot of enjoyment from Tom's show and he deserves our support. :)

YoungAmerican

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 08:43:11 PM »
Hi.  My name is Jesse Thorn, I host a show called The Sound of Young America.

I have recorded a special WFMU pledge drive message for all of you Friends of Tom.

Here's a link to the MP3

John Junk

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »

I have recorded a special WFMU pledge drive message for all of you Friends of Tom.

Here's a link to the MP3

Awesome!  I love you too.  And I love the podcast.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 09:39:24 PM »

Here's a link to the MP3

Start by identifying yourself? Check.
Have a point? Check.
Get in and get out? Check.

Jesse Thorn: Superposter?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

JimmyKustes

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »
I love Thorn's voice. It gives us a taste of what a professional sounds like.

I didn't get my local tax return today so it seems I'll be donating during the Cherry Blossum Clinic.