Author Topic: Dave from Knoxville: More!  (Read 8453 times)

KickTheBobo

Dave from Knoxville: More!
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »
This guy is my new favorite semi-regular. There's just something about his delivery that is so damn charming.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Dave from Knoxville: More!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
This guy is my new favorite semi-regular. There's just something about his delivery that is so damn charming.

I've been a big fan of this guy since his first call.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

mywhitedevil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »
Is he the aspiring comic who was defending Bill Murray?  I don't care for that gentleman.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »
He called in during last tuesday's show (3/20/07) and I dunno, there's something about how he phrases things, it seems like he has a natural wit. He's called in a few times before during games I think.

Dave from Knoxville seems like the sort of fella you'd be sitting next to at some dive bar down south and just happen to strike up on conversation with. You'd expect him to just bullshit about his job or sports, but WHAM! he starts wowing you with stories about those years he roadied for the Big Boys or about his "largest collection this side of the great mississippi" of novelty chattering teeth.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »
He called in during last tuesday's show (3/20/07) and I dunno, there's something about how he phrases things, it seems like he has a natural wit. He's called in a few times before during games I think.

Dave from Knoxville seems like the sort of fella you'd be sitting next to at some dive bar down south and just happen to strike up on conversation with. You'd expect him to just bullshit about his job or sports, but WHAM! he starts wowing you with stories about those years he roadied for the Big Boys or about his "largest collection this side of the great mississippi" of novelty chattering teeth.

Classic Dave from Knoxville (9/5/06):

- Dave from Knoxville calls (starts at 2:33) to make initial contact since he's a new fan of the show. He begs Tom to keep the podcast, and Tom will keep it going for a few more weeks before re-evaluating its status. As a child in Nashville, Dave attended the annual Music City Pro Celebrity golf tournament. When he was about nine or 10, he was itching to get Don Ho's autograph. Dave was on the edge of the green as Ho lined up his putt. Ho missed and then tapped in. Dave ran up to get the signature, and Ho pushed him to the ground because he was so angry about his misfire. The crowd started razzing Ho for his child abuse, and Perry Como, who was also in the foursome, picked Dave up and gave him an autograph. Tom can relate to this story because he can't imagine a child of that age not wanting an autograph from Ho or Como. Dave mentions that Como was wearing a beautiful sweater vest.

Tom assumes that this incident forever soured him on Ho’s music, but Dave said that when he got to college and started rebelling against his former life, he embraced Don Ho. He didn’t really know Perry Como at the time of the autograph, but when he first heard his music, he turned on him because he could not make it through two minutes without falling asleep. Tom thinks this is a strong validation of the autograph collecting field -- a kid running onto the green, getting shoved to the ground, and then receiving an autograph from someone he was unfamiliar with. Dave excuses the behavior because he was a young kid, but he admits that he wanted the autograph. Tom wants to know why. The best Dave can come up with is the folly of youth. Dave has autographs from Bobby Goldsboro, Alice Cooper, and Lawrence Welk, who he barely knew at the time. This prompts Tom to ask him what circles he rolled in. Dave explains that the cast of characters were all attending the same golf event. Other celebrity attendees included Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Roy Acuff, and Minnie Pearl. Tom would want Jerry Reed’s autograph because he played Cledus Snow in the Smokey and the Bandit films.

Tom gets excited when he heard that Dave also got golfer Mason Rudolph’s autograph. Tom finds it odd that he’s still living in Knoxville with such a prized item and thinks he should trade it for an apartment in New York. This was the pinnacle of Dave's life, and it's been downhill ever since.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
More Dave from Knoxville! (10/17/06):

- As Tom took the first call of the evening, he had that one-second twinge of expecting to hear "Heeeelllloooo, Tom." However, it was the far less creepy Dave from Knoxville (starts at 27:25), who apologizes for cutting in front of Spike. Tom says there's no need, but Dave thinks he may have to apologize again after asking Tom for a favor. He's rarely able to listen live due to family obligations, but his wife and kids went to the beach for Fall break. As a result, he planned his entire week around settling in for some Tuesday night radio fun. But then his plans were derailed by a flat tire on the way home from work. Tom asks him if he's enlisted AAA assistance, but Dave is going to fix it himself, a DIY ethic that he attributes to the southern way of life. Tom says that he can also put on a spare, but if he's already paid for the service that will send a guy to fix it while he reads a magazine or comic book, he will do it. About a year and a half ago, Tom drove home in the pouring rain and got a flat alongside an Anheuser-Busch brewery. He had no interest in going out in the dark, wet night to muck around with a tire on his brand new Aston Martin. It was still covered, so an A-M serviceman came out, popped the mounted spare off the trunk, replaced that, put the spare on, and then Tom was on his way. Tom read an Iron Man comic while the repair was being done. Dave thinks the story blows his desired favor to pieces. He was going to ask Tom to hold off on doing anything interesting until he got home. He found the spare tire story fascinating.

Tom thinks he must have psychically picked up on the request because he doesn't expect anything interesting to happen for a long time tonight. Dave is pleased and promises to call Tom's "screener" when he gets home to give the go-ahead to ratchet it up. Tom is offended by Dave referring to Mike the Associate Producer as a lowly screener, which makes it seem like Mike is scrubbing flies off screen doors at the back of a Chinese restaurant. Mike only does that for fun. On the show, he's the invisible hand holding it down behind the glass. Tom tells Dave to get his tire fixed and get home safely. Dave tells Tom to have a great night, and Tom returns the wishes. Dave is confident that he will indeed have a great night. The upbeat sign-off prompts Tom to declare Dave the Tony Robbins of Knoxville.

Tom commends Dave for his brief, focused call. He came in, made his point, and checked out. No more Day Of The Dead sleepwalks in the new regime of The Best Show. You splash some cold water on your face, you call, you have a good 'ol time hashing out your topic with Tom, and then you say goodnight. Tom says that everyone -- including the regulars and even Tom -- is on probation. If Spike is boring, he’s gone. If Petey rambles in the goofball voice, CLICK. From now on, the show is gonna move like the rapid-fire Mad Money without the chair throwing and someone dressed up in a bull costume. If you're tired, just let the show be like a soothing lullably in the background. No need to sing along.

mywhitedevil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
Omar has changed my mind.  I remember those calls and I saw "More Dave!"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
Geez guys,

You're so nice. Unless you're pulling my leg. But that's OK too. That super-caller thing really floored me, but I am trying not to exploit it by calling in unless I feel like I have something to add. The best show's the best thing on any form of radio.

I will try to keep my son off the air out of respect for the entire audience.

Thanks

dave from knoxville

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:41:22 PM »
Geez guys,

You're so nice. Unless you're pulling my leg. But that's OK too. That super-caller thing really floored me, but I am trying not to exploit it by calling in unless I feel like I have something to add. The best show's the best thing on any form of radio.

I will try to keep my son off the air out of respect for the entire audience.

Thanks

dave from knoxville

See, that's what makes you a supercaller!

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
Dave -

Nobody is pulling your leg! You are indeed a Super Caller, and it is due to being funny and elegant. Please call whenever you want, thus utilizing your Super Caller privileges.

Tom.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
Just to be clear, I have never defended nor attacked Bill Murray. I am fond of most of his films, but he doesn't know me well enough to need my defense.