Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 3044 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Grindhouse
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:22:26 AM »
This movie came up on the "My Humps" thread and I thought I should move this post over here, so as not to distract from the... humps.

The fake trailers are by far the highlight of this thing. Rodriguez' section is over-the-top funny... probably funnier than Shaun of the Dead, actually.  I normally loathe his films but he turned his weaknesses into strengths here.

Tarantino's section is

SO

FUCKING

BORING!!

Seriously, the womens dialogue in this thing is putrid.  The car chase ending is insane and there's a really good middle sequence but it can't make up for the rest of the tedium.

I couldn't resist seeing it even though I thought I'd have problems with it (I didn't think I'd like Rodriguez' half more though).  So if you're like me you'll want to go so see it now, particularly before everyone saturates the internet w/ their opinions. 

Laurie

Re: Grindhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:47:10 AM »
I haven't seen it yet. I'll admit it, I liked the first Kill Bill. I'm not completely anti-Tarantino, even though he is pretty douchey.

Still... 3+ hours? Is it worth sitting through that?

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »
Nick Cave's new band Grinderman is kind of good...
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
This movie came up on the "My Humps" thread and I thought I should move this post over here, so as not to distract from the... humps.

The fake trailers are by far the highlight of this thing. Rodriguez' section is over-the-top funny... probably funnier than Shaun of the Dead, actually.  I normally loathe his films but he turned his weaknesses into strengths here.

Tarantino's section is

So Fucking Boring

Seriously, the womens dialogue in this thing is putrid.  The car chase ending is insane and there's a really good middle sequence but it can't make up for the rest of the tedium.

I couldn't resist seeing it even though I thought I'd have problems with it (I didn't think I'd like Rodriguez' half more though).  So if you're like me you'll want to go so see it now, particularly before everyone saturates the internet w/ their opinions. 

I didn't really like either FEATURE PRESENTATION, but I definitely preferred PLANET TERROR.  The worst thing in PT is QT's "acting".  DEATH PROOF has a few good sequences, but it's pretty much bad news.  Putrid dialogue indeed.

Yes -- the trailers were the highlight.  My favorite was Bob Zombie's WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
Yes -- the trailers were the highlight.  My favorite was Bob Zombie's WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS. 

I liked DON'T the best.  This movie inadvertantly upholds the tradition of the trailers being more entertaining than the features.  Maybe 2-3 minutes is just the ideal length for an exploitation film. 

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »
One more fake trailer (a SXSW contest winner) playing in Canada: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »
Nick Cave's new band Grinderman is kind of good...

Indeed. The looped bed music on the grinderman site is nice, too. He should put a Queenesque disclaimer on the album: "Contains no Euro-Goth chord structures."

bruce

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
I loved the trailer for DON'T made me laugh so hard. But yeah Taratino needs to cut some of the prentinous pontificating that was going on. Well at least it gave me a chuckle when they brought up White Line Fever. A movie I saw when I was 10 years old at sleep away camp. Christ there are scenes from that film still in my mind. Also being a huge fan of Vanishing Point I loved seeing the car.

As much as I hate Eli Roth his trialer was the perfect example of Grindhouse trailers.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
MGM is planning an exciting fall and winter release schedule. In partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment, MGM will bring new installments of two of its tentpole franchises — the new James Bond movie QUANTUM OF SOLACE and Steve Martin in PINK PANTHER 2. MGM will also release United Artists’ international thriller VALKYRIE, starring Tom Cruise on October 3. With the appointment of Parent, MGM will enter its new phase of evolution by focusing on its major movie franchises highlighted by JAMES BOND and PINK PANTHER sequels, THE HOBBIT, THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR 2, THE OUTER LIMITS, ROBOCOP, DEATH WISH and FAME, among others.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
For about two minutes I thought Grindhouse was Roadhouse, and I was totally confused.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
This movie came up on the "My Humps" thread

???