Author Topic: Perfect Double Albums?  (Read 8431 times)

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Perfect Double Albums?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »
oh man! that must have been so great!!

i was just listening to his new album two seconds ago... (gone back to the latest Best Show... Benny Goodman's clarinet just faded out)

the new album's really good

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
also thanks for the recommendations on Minutemen and Grant Hart... appreciate the effort

I can report that after listening to those two Minutemen tracks i just let youtube keep picking random tracks of Double Nickels... really really like em... i can see how that candid confessional style would have been so game changing at the time... feels very close listening to them, like they're your buddies (that doesn't look as good on the page as it did in my head)... i'm gonna enjoy getting to know that album for sure

as for Grant Hart, I had already gone and had a listen to The Argument and Hot Wax... really digging on them! The Argument just seems so improbable as a concept that would actually work but it does... and its surprising me how almost operatic (in structure not sound) and very Bowie-esque it is... a real surprise when i'd only listened to his Husker Du stuff...

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
oh my god, i just realised THE BIGGEST OVERSIGHT. sounds hyperbolic but i'm really not being that when i say that this one is first on my list of perfect double albums...

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

cannot be beaten for me. like i said, i can't believe i forgot about it... was the first album i fell in love with (four years old lying on the lounge room floor singing with giant black headphones on... that triple gatefold sleeve and those illustrations laid out... my parents and their friends laughing at this kid singing loudly and amateurishly along to their favourite album to get wasted to when they were teenagers...)

the best part is, it just gets better and better... I love more now than i did then... and that's saying something

X-raythepharaoh

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Sing to God by the Cardiacs

as far as im concerned it blows every other rock double album out of the water