Author Topic: Ask Mike Anything  (Read 61731 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Re: Ask Mike Anything
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
What's the most out of hand someone has ever gotten at Massa's?

No idea why I am asking.

I've had a couple close calls with fights almost breaking out (fortunately, I was able to prevent one and a customer was able to prevent the other). Once, a guy spit on the floor because he said this was acceptable behavior at another bar. I had to remind him that it wasn't the case at Massa's. A couple weeks ago a guy blew up the shithouse and didn't have the courtesy to clean up after himself (and by blowing up the shithouse I mean I've never seen anything like it before--there was shit everywhere, even under the toilet seat. How is it even possible to get shit under the toilet seat if you're sitting on it?! Was it gravity defying shit? Did he use the seat to wipe his ass?! I realize I'm asking questions that will never be answered). Anyway, that stunt got him banned again (this was his second banning--he was previously banned for cadging cigarettes and asking other patrons for money).

I am thoroughly satisfied by that answer. And "blew up the shithouse" is a turn of phrase that is too good to keep. I will be using it within a week's time.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
Favorite filmmakers? Off the top of my head, I'm also curious how you feel about Kieslowski and any of the Shawn/Gregory collabs (Dinner With Andre, Vanya, Master Builder)?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »
Favorite filmmakers? Off the top of my head, I'm also curious how you feel about Kieslowski and any of the Shawn/Gregory collabs (Dinner With Andre, Vanya, Master Builder)?

Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese, Terence Malick, Mike Leigh, Roy Andersson, Ulrich Seidl, David Lynch, the Coen Brothers, Orson Welles, Bela Tarr, Yasujiro Ozu, Douglas Sirk, Akira Kurosawa, Vittorio De Sica, Werner Herzog, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Budd Boetticher, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Raoul Walsh.

Kieslowski is fine but his movies don't really knock me out. It's been a while since I've seen the trilogy and I haven't made it through all of The Decalogue yet. Can you make a stronger case for him?

Dinner with Andre and Vanya were fine. I haven't seen Master Builder.

See God, Kai

cowboydan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
Dear AP Mike,

Other than Naked, where should I start with Mike Leigh? Also, are you excited about the upcoming releases from Malick and the Coen Brothers? Knight of Cups looks particularly great.

-CD

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 01:52:53 AM »
High Hopes, Life Is Sweet, and Secrets & Lies are all top notch Mike Leigh.

What's not to like about new Malick or Coen brothers?
See God, Kai

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »
Knight of Cups was the first Malick to get a negative to non buzz and reviews here (The Netherlands), as a result of which it disappeared from theaters before I got a chance to go.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »

Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese, Terence Malick, Mike Leigh, Roy Andersson, Ulrich Seidl, David Lynch, the Coen Brothers, Orson Welles, Bela Tarr, Yasujiro Ozu, Douglas Sirk, Akira Kurosawa, Vittorio De Sica, Werner Herzog, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Budd Boetticher, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Raoul Walsh.

Kieslowski is fine but his movies don't really knock me out. It's been a while since I've seen the trilogy and I haven't made it through all of The Decalogue yet. Can you make a stronger case for him?

Dinner with Andre and Vanya were fine. I haven't seen Master Builder.

Solid. I just missed a week-long screening of "Nashville"  here in Cleveland and regret it.

The trilogy is great, but I've never made it through the Decalogue either. I feel like the trilogy succeeds at what the Decalogue sometimes struggles at accomplishing (using film to explore a philosophical idea w/o judgement or comment). I know Criterion is doing some of his earlier works and the Decalogue has long been in their pipeline. I had to work this week and miss a screening of "A Short Film About Killing." A lot of Polish/Czech/random Europeans leaves me cold, like I don't really know enough context to fully grasp the work. "Blue", though, is a top five favorite movie.

I bought the Shawn/Gregory box but haven't opened "Master Builder." I watched a documentary about Andre Gregory that his wife made and it really soured me on him for a minute. It could have been fascinating, but there's so little footage of his early "groundbreaking" work that it was mostly reduced to people just talking about it.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
Mike: Did you see The End of the Tour yet and if so, your thoughts? Given this is not an M. Night Shyamalan film, I am not giving much away when I say that McDonalds product placement plays a pretty big plot point. Not sure what David Foster Wallace would have thought of that, but it made me want to kick the screen in. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
Mike: Did you see The End of the Tour yet and if so, your thoughts? Given this is not an M. Night Shyamalan film, I am not giving much away when I say that McDonalds product placement plays a pretty big plot point. Not sure what David Foster Wallace would have thought of that, but it made me want to kick the screen in. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good.

I just saw it. It was OK. It could have gone deeper, I thought. I read a few pages of Infinite Jest after seeing it. It did not make me want to continue.
See God, Kai

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
Happy Birthday!
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
There's a pretty strong psychological theory that says human beings really only care about hearing/seeing their own names. My friend says that is the sole reason for the existence of local newspapers.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »

I just saw it. It was OK. It could have gone deeper, I thought. I read a few pages of Infinite Jest after seeing it. It did not make me want to continue.

Funny you point this out Mike. I have a running discussion with a good friend where I point out to him that I have tried - in earnest - to read Infinite Jest perhaps on six or seven different occasions, and still have not made it past the first 30 to 40 pages. In addition I am unable to explain the reason why, oddly, other than possibly the book's length. Which is of course one of the more lame excuses, eh?

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
Infinite Jest is great, although I've never finished it.

I think DFW's death has really made some awful awful fans come out of the woodwork and help turn his writing into some kind of sickly sweet "how to live a meaningful life" garbage that, while present in his work, isn't the main focus of it. I blame that Kenyon speech going viral for some of that as well.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."