Author Topic: Ask Mike Anything  (Read 62069 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Ask Mike Anything
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
Dear AP Mike,

What exactly is your relationship with Morty Lefkoe?

Signed,

Curious in New Port Richey
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fidget

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Ask Mike Anything
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
12oz. or 16oz.?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
Dear AP Mike,

Signed,

No relationship. I replied to one of his tweets on twitter, I believe. Is he worth investigating?
See God, Kai

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
12oz. or 16oz.?

I prefer 12 oz. The mountains are still blue by the time you finish.
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
Dear AP Mike,

Signed,

No relationship. I replied to one of his tweets on twitter, I believe. Is he worth investigating?

His ideas have changed my life profoundly. I was initially suspicious of his claims of being able to eliminate my fear of public speaking, but his ideas work.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
Dear AP Mike,

I know you're a big reader. Has there ever been a book that made you change your mind on a subject? Did it make you appreciate a person, philosophical stance, a band, a movie, etc that you dismissed before?

Thanks,
Jon
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
Great question. Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morality had a big influence on me when I read them in college. They helped finally liberate me from the baggage of my Catholic upbringing. They also got me to think for myself and question those who claim to speak with moral authority.

How about yourself?
See God, Kai

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
Great question. Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morality had a big influence on me when I read them in college. They helped finally liberate me from the baggage of my Catholic upbringing. They also got me to think for myself and question those who claim to speak with moral authority.

How about yourself?

"The Blank Slate" by Steven Pinker. It made me realize that people are not malleable pieces of clay, and are far more hard-wired than we care to admit. The book also successfully debunks the myth of the "Noble Savage" that Rousseau was such a big fan of. I cannot recommend the book highly enough.

Also, Tom very kindly gave me a copy of Evel's autobiography. That book carpet-bombed my childhood hero. What a first-class goblin that guy was.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
I came across this comment on the Youtube:

Max Ember Smtih 2 years ago
 It's people like Robert Christgau who save rock from rock fans. He has imagination beyond just the music, wit and a fearlessness of expression, as well as a broad taste. Without him, the cultural historians of the future in our society would write off rock n roll as being subscribed to by no one but luddites with narrow interests. Thanks to him, they'll recognise that it also was home to a lot of interesting, idiosyncratic characters. And thank God for that.

Would you please give your response?

Thanks in advance.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:56 AM »
So, Robert Christgau is responsible for making rock 'n roll interesting? I don't think so.
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
So, Robert Christgau is responsible for making rock 'n roll interesting? I don't think so.
I read it as he focused on and championed the more interesting aspects of Rock and Roll.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »
Yeah, but it makes it sound like regular fans are too dumb to figure it out on their own. I disagree.
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
Yeah, but it makes it sound like regular fans are too dumb to figure it out on their own. I disagree.

I do think regular fans are not dumb but ignorant.

In support of the dumb idea let me point out the long-lasting success of the Eagles.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
I imagine when B_Buster writes his book it will feel a lot in spirit like A Fan's Notes

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
I imagine when B_Buster writes his book it will feel a lot in spirit like A Fan's Notes

Ex is the best! Sort of.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!