Author Topic: Explain Twitter to an old person please...  (Read 2270 times)

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Explain Twitter to an old person please...
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
I have an account and was thinking of making one for my band, but I don't really understand some things about Twitter and it seems like most of you are Tweet savvy

So I follow people and it seems that it's all spam, and even if it's something funny (like Tom and Tim H's tweet "fight" I "read" later by watching that animated version) how do you follow that if you're following a bunch of people who keep posting crap? It's just endless scrolling? or searching for someone every few minutes?

Why do I mostly see people replying to people I don't know, and why would I care about that? can that be filtered out?

What exactly is "trending". It means it's a popular hashtag? who decides what's trending, does the tag have to get repeated a set number of times?

How do people even get followers? by hash tagging?

It seems like Twitter is a mess, but people love it and use it constantly, so I must be doing something wrong...

Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

mackro

Re: Explain Twitter to an old person please...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
I have an account and was thinking of making one for my band, but I don't really understand some things about Twitter and it seems like most of you are Tweet savvy

So I follow people and it seems that it's all spam, and even if it's something funny (like Tom and Tim H's tweet "fight" I "read" later by watching that animated version) how do you follow that if you're following a bunch of people who keep posting crap? It's just endless scrolling? or searching for someone every few minutes?

The Mute option is your friend. Mute the people who are posting too much crap. You're not unfollowing them, and you can still chat with them on things you like to hear or talk about.

Why do I mostly see people replying to people I don't know, and why would I care about that? can that be filtered out?

It's Twitter's way to finding new people for you to potentially follow... just like in FB.  That's the price you pay for having a free social media thing.  There might be an option or preference you can set to change this, but I've never used it.

What exactly is "trending". It means it's a popular hashtag? who decides what's trending, does the tag have to get repeated a set number of times?

Pretty much. Twitter decides this stuff.  Though I'm sure some companies pay for certain Trends to go higher up than others.

If you tweet something people like enough to retweet, that's the best way to get new followers quickly.  There's a chicken/egg issue if you're brand new, in which case, you may need to use hashtags at first, if being Twitter royalty is the end game.  I've been on Twitter for 6 years, and I'm only at 500 or so followers.  I never had any ambitions there, and yet over time, I still get new followers. It's a long game if you're just there for fun or boredom relief.

It seems like Twitter is a mess, but people love it and use it constantly, so I must be doing something wrong...

Social media is a mess. And you're doing nothing wrong, at least based on your questions above. 

Mike Desert

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
Thanks! I will look into this mute thing, sounds like what I need...

Mike Desert

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
"Twitter royalty"? Tell me that's not a thing

mackro

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
I made that phrase up myself just now... but there are people on every social media site that are Famous For Being On Twitter/Facebook/Yelp etc.  That whole concept is a real thing, and if S&W hasn't mocked this concept already, I'm sure they will at some point and do an amazing job at it.

Mike Desert

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
just heard Tom mention Tweet Deck ? What is that exactly?

mackro

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
It's Twitter Deluxe, basically... useful for people who have tons of followers and/or want to use Twitter to promote or monitor things happening rapidly.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »

I tweet a whole lot on Tuesday nites when the show's on. I'll usually use "Newbridge4Life", and/or whatever the tag of the week is (#Worst100 ,etcetera ...)

Lots of people find me that way, and I've found lots of cool folks that way ... many of whom have "FOT" in their twitter bio.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »
Here's a list I made of FOT on Twitter. It's by no means comprehensive; I think the last time I added anyone to it was when the show was still on WFMU.

https://twitter.com/BadGuyZero/lists/fot/members

Mike Desert

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:54:16 PM »
say, it looks like Tweetdeck is discontinued? People are still using it though? do I need to find an apk and manually install it?

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Here's a list I made of FOT on Twitter. It's by no means comprehensive; I think the last time I added anyone to it was when the show was still on WFMU.

https://twitter.com/BadGuyZero/lists/fot/members

https://twitter.com/allsussedout   :)

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
say, it looks like Tweetdeck is discontinued? People are still using it though? do I need to find an apk and manually install it?

Tweetdeck is a desktop, not a mobile application, and it's still around.  If you're looking for a good Android Twitter client, I recommend Falcon Pro.