Author Topic: Is there a reason why Mike is not miked?  (Read 4403 times)

SimonFromCanada

• Plantar Fasciitis
Is there a reason why Mike is not miked?
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »
I'm a relatively new listener, so I'm not really familiar with the show's history or established procedures. Most of the podcasts I listen to have mics for their engineers/etc. Given that Tom talks to Mike more than many other hosts, it seems strange to have his replies so inaudible.

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Is there a reason why Mike is not miked?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
YOU GOT MIKE ON THE MIKE ON THE MIKE SHOW, YEAH!!!!!!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
The first thing that got me when I first listened was Tom talking to this barely audible person...

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
I'm a relatively new listener, so I'm not really familiar with the show's history or established procedures. Most of the podcasts I listen to have mics for their engineers/etc. Given that Tom talks to Mike more than many other hosts, it seems strange to have his replies so inaudible.
I believe, it's due to the difficulty Mike has answering the phone while holding the mic in front of his chest.

You make me sound like someone who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »
I was just messing around. I deleted the post.

I'm with Epic as far as enjoying the earthy quality of a shout across a room and a distant, muffled reply.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:02:16 AM »
SimonFromCanada, they don't "mic" Mike because we would hear his giggling and the occasional "chi ku" as another beer can opens.

Not that I am essentially opposed to those things, but the way things are is they way they go on the Best Show.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »
There would be no Mike as we know him if he was on mic right? The whole Mike persona was something Tom could invent because for years no one knew what he sounded like or if he was even saying half the stuff Tom attributed to him. You also don't get funny bits like Tom hanging up on people by insisting Mike is making him do it or the whole call screener Steve saga. Like other's have said the whole mystery of Mike is what was so funny, at least to me.

also, just logistically Mike isn't even in the studio, he's in the other room presumably doing his job most of the time. What're they going to drag a mic out there every time?
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.