Author Topic: Scharpling & Wurster at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles  (Read 2954 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Scharpling & Wurster at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
I was at the show. It was great. The biggest surprise was how fun a music show it was. The Themeweavers are a great Best Show house band - Jon sat in with them on "LA Woman" and, uh, yeah he's absolutely hilarious but he's also world-class at his day job. They also played The Best Show theme and another number of theirs that is in the new show (https://themeweaversllc.bandcamp.com/track/green-room-blues-theme-music-for-the-best-show-with-tom-scharpling). And a couple of other things.

Tom told hilarious stories of his Hollywood meeting failures, including getting yelled at by an executive about his screenplay while he had to stare at a picture of the movie Car Pool starring Tom Arnold (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115836/). Also making a Kevin Costner joke in a meeting that just happened to contain one of the Cost's Best Friends.

The skits were great. Someone else describe them.

Andy Kindler and Britt Daniel of Spoon were the special guests. Andy was very funny and his interactions with Gary were good. Britt played KISS-or-Spoon-lyrics with Gene Simmons. The show closed with a singalong to Rock and Roll Dreams'll come through and I sang along.

Best line of the night for me: Bryce says he's going to follow Tom on tour and then gets sarcastic, "Master, please tell me what sub shops to boycott. Please tell me what Billy Joel did to make him such a modern-day Nazi."

After the show I saw several FPs: Lisa Jane Persky and Andy Zax, who I actually met at the Gathering of the FOT in 2009. They were in conversation with other people and I had to go, so I didn't shoehorn myself in to talk to them. Andy Kindler was at one of the VIP tables. Jon Daly was out on the floor talking to somebody. There was a character actor whose name I can't remember that I had no idea was a Best Show fan. When I see him in something else I'll fill in his name here.

I saw FP/FOT Jason Grote in the lobby talking with his wife and Amedeo (http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/53712), who co-hosted some replacement shows for Tom in I think 2013.

I wish I'd been able to stay longer, but I had a flight to catch in the morning. Great show!

EDIT: Brian Huskey.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Scharpling & Wurster at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
It was great! I hadn't heard much about what the other shows were like, and I went in not knowing how the show would go. Didn't lose energy at all, and it was great seeing one bit where Tom was being the weird one and Jon was the one getting exasperated at what was happening. Liked the local shoutouts to our cultural landmarks like Amoeba, Book Soup, and Ralphs.

I saw Andy Kindler getting out of his car out front, and knew that there must be a Gary/Andy part of the show. I saw Jon Daly, and someone else said that they saw Tim Heidecker in the crowd, didn't see him myself, though.

Some subpar photos:

Untitled by Evan, on Flickr

Andy Kindler, Britt Daniel, Gene Simmons, and Gary

The end of the triumphant visit to Weirdowood!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
I loved Roy marching around and waving the California flag. He won this half-time transplant over to the cause. Whatever it was.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
buffcoat, I bet the guy you saw was Brian Huskey. Also in attendance were acclaimed directors Lance Bangs and Jason Woliner.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
buffcoat, I bet the guy you saw was Brian Huskey. Also in attendance were acclaimed directors Lance Bangs and Jason Woliner.

That's him! Cigar for Jouster!

I would have suggested a meetup beforehand but I thought everyone would flake anyway. :) Next time there's something going on...