Author Topic: Mr Robot  (Read 2757 times)

jimakaclark

• Policemans heel
Mr Robot
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
anyone else enjoy Mr Robot?
Some of Christian Slater's best work since Pump up the Volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYo2wtL9fsY

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Mr Robot
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
i didn't care for the twist but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show, which I thought was pretty great.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
In general, something involving drug-addled anarchist cyberpunk trying to take down the man is the exact opposite of anything I would watch, especially if it's heavy on voice-over.

In reality, Mr. Robot ruled. Great show.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »
The voice-over work is clever; I like the device of the audience being Elliot's imaginary friend. And given his crazy introverted character, it would be one quiet show without the narration.

The show has a really interesting style/aesthetic, too. Love how they use the title card as a sort of punctuation.

The opening sequence of season 1 episode 7 was heartbreaking. I was surprised they could earn such a powerful moment after only six episodes.

EDIT: Also, fictional depictions of hackers are always severely exaggerated (that whole problem of "how do you make something that requires endless hours slumped over a laptop entertaining"), but this show is as close to reality as I've ever seen it. Doesn't mean it's remotely realistic, but Hackers this ain't.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
I like the show a lot. I appreciate when a creative team a) does something completely different from what others are doing, b) does it on a network or medium known for the cookie-cutter approach, c) makes it genuinely good and interesting and d) wins big-time awards for it.

I realized after I'd written it that a) through c) also fit the Best Show. Now for d).
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:16:44 AM »
The voice-over work is clever; I like the device of the audience being Elliot's imaginary friend. And given his crazy introverted character, it would be one quiet show without the narration.

The show has a really interesting style/aesthetic, too. Love how they use the title card as a sort of punctuation.

The opening sequence of season 1 episode 7 was heartbreaking. I was surprised they could earn such a powerful moment after only six episodes.

EDIT: Also, fictional depictions of hackers are always severely exaggerated (that whole problem of "how do you make something that requires endless hours slumped over a laptop entertaining"), but this show is as close to reality as I've ever seen it. Doesn't mean it's remotely realistic, but Hackers this ain't.

The title card reveals are glorious.  In terms of style/aesthetic, I believe I read that creator Sam Esmail will be directing every episode of season 2 (he directed 3 s1 episodes).
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »
If I knew "Fight Club was a huge influence," I wouldn't have bothered.
See God, Kai