Author Topic: Haunting Best Show Moments  (Read 7852 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Haunting Best Show Moments
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
I found a haunting Best Show moment in the November 22, 2005 Best Show, courtesy of Stevie Blue (https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=17129&archive=100726&starttime=0:27:32 )

Tom: "What's your favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving?"

Stevie Blue: "What is my favorite... I can't say it on the air, so I'm gonna just say turkey... Hope you don't mind."

Tom doesn't react. I shuddered.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Re: Haunting Best Show Moments
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
The fish in the cooler from the Captain Who Can't Be Named.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
The fact that Mike's Loaded Comment of the Week was "fart in your general direction" in the same conversation where he used the term "break ass."

Josh from Vestal

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
The fact that Mike's Loaded Comment of the Week was "fart in your general direction" in the same conversation where he used the term "break ass."

I could listen to Mike spin yarns all day long.

Josh from Vestal

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
Last week's strangely depressing Larry da Perv call was pretty haunting.

leeharveyosmond

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
I've got two in mind from really early on that aren't even remotely funny, just strange and sad:

During a S&W call circa 2001 (might have been Hot Rockin' Ronny) somebody all of a sudden started shouting something like "HEY RADIO STATION!" over and over again either from right outside the building or outside the room, I don't know. It definitely had nothing to do with the bit, just very odd and kind of scary.

About a year later (or within the same year, can't remember) there was a call with a woman who broke down in tears when Tom informed her that an old WFMU DJ had passed away. I'm pretty sure they were having a pleasant enough conversation until Tom broke the news to her.  :(

Oh, I just remembered something else: when Stevie Blue sang "Chocolate Covered Hearts" in a 2007 show (this is where I'm at currently in the archives). Yikes.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Oh, I just remembered something else: when Stevie Blue sang "Chocolate Covered Hearts" in a 2007 show (this is where I'm at currently in the archives). Yikes.

I gave you a box of candy, some flowers and champagne

The only thing Tom Scharpling, if I see you again

A chocolate covered heart and white-bright shining pearls

There is no reason, baby, you're the only girl in my world

I put my chocolate heart in a candy box, and I know that it's melting or falling apart

Every time you smile, you look at me that way

I love you, Thomas Scharpling, yes, I do.

I believe this is on Cucumber Castle ...
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Bridgey

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
I've got two in mind from really early on that aren't even remotely funny, just strange and sad:

During a S&W call circa 2001 (might have been Hot Rockin' Ronny) somebody all of a sudden started shouting something like "HEY RADIO STATION!" over and over again either from right outside the building or outside the room, I don't know. It definitely had nothing to do with the bit, just very odd and kind of scary.

It was the XFL super fan.

leeharveyosmond

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

It was the XFL super fan.

Ah, thank you! I had a feeling it was during a one-off call but I didn't want to elaborate anymore than I did.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Tom talking about his experience going to see Intersteller.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
The one where Tom tries to relax with some ASMR videos (it doesn't work). 11/24/15 from 96:20 to 100:20 (and the following call which goes to 107:41).

thommmmm

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
Any time I see Jen Kirkman on twitter or elsewhere I think about the last time she called Best Show. It was maybe a month before the show ended on WFMU. I heard it the night of and haven't gone back and relistened to it, so I'm possibly misremembering it. Here's what I remember: she called in pretty drunk, and Tom ended up hanging up with her in a way that felt like it was more for her than anything. Since she hasn't called in to the new show, the call stands as a glum conclusion to many years of playful conversations on the show.   

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/asteriosk/tom-scharpling-wise-up?in=asteriosk/sets/tom-sings-toms-best-tunes-from

Kid Kansas haunts me every time he calls.

There are two questions I would like to ask Tom in person and one of them is whether he knows Kid Kansas.

johnnynovato

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
I was haunted this week by Tom's review of "Steve Jobs" while watching the movie. I was amazed by how Tom got it right and the critics got it wrong.

Even though my best friend in 8th grade was was a ProDOS instruction manual for an Apple ][, I thought it was the craziest thing ever to make a movie like this--about Seth Rogen running into the room every year to yell about "what about acknowledging the Apple II team???!" It was like an SNL skit.