Author Topic: Microphone levels  (Read 4202 times)

steveh

• Plantar Fasciitis
Microphone levels
« on: September 03, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Greetings!

I was wondering if any listeners think that Tom's voice/mic often sounds "distant" and "thin" during the show? Almost like he's a couple feet from the mic. This is usually most evident during the Half Hour of Power or when there are other guests in studio - other voices sound fuller, more up-front, and just louder (sorry for lack of technical terms here, and obviously Dudio is a bit of an exception having the perfect booming radio voice). I often have to keep adjusting my volume while listening as different guests take turns talking.

Someone called a couple months ago (Geneva?) to recommend the use of a compressor which I believe was to partially address this issue. That should squash the moments that are loudest but not necessarily make Tom sound bigger.

I have nothing but respect for the new Best Show studio setup but I think things would be even better with Tom sounding louder and fuller. He needs to be the loudest thing!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Microphone levels
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »
I don't know about that, but a few people have called over the years suggesting that Tom should stop using his Voice Modulator.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »
I don't know about that, but a few people have called over the years suggesting that Tom should stop using his Voice Modulator.
Where's Joey Levels when you need him?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »
There's one guy whose levels are so messed up it sounds like he's saying "boppabippawopparockadiggaboppa".

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
"boppabippawopparockadiggaboppa".
Rename this thread!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
Greetings!

I was wondering if any listeners think that Tom's voice/mic often sounds "distant" and "thin" during the show? Almost like he's a couple feet from the mic. This is usually most evident during the Half Hour of Power or when there are other guests in studio - other voices sound fuller, more up-front, and just louder (sorry for lack of technical terms here, and obviously Dudio is a bit of an exception having the perfect booming radio voice). I often have to keep adjusting my volume while listening as different guests take turns talking.

Someone called a couple months ago (Geneva?) to recommend the use of a compressor which I believe was to partially address this issue. That should squash the moments that are loudest but not necessarily make Tom sound bigger.

I have nothing but respect for the new Best Show studio setup but I think things would be even better with Tom sounding louder and fuller. He needs to be the loudest thing!

Absolutely agree. He seems to back off the mic for HHOP.

Chad from The Woodlands

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:09:49 PM »
I absolutely agree to rename this thread as well.

mustardking

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:25 PM »
my guess is that that they only have a few mics and one may not be as top quality as the rest.  Tom takes that one during half hour of powerrr.
just a guess

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
Somewhat of an audio nerd dude here. I was wondering if they implemented the compressor suggestion, as it seems like some of the audio levels evened out shortly after that episode.

If it hasn't happened already: compressor, yes!

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
Dudio should have his own "half hour of morning zoo power" show

cameron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:46 AM »
I have no idea what the setup is in the studio (live and if/how the podcast version is mixed), but I have noticed this issue. It's not so big, and I haven't noticed it much with Tom as with guests. I think Tom knows what he's doing, and knows how to use his vocal dynamics to achieve certain effects. 

As for guests, for example, every time Julie Klausner is in studio I cry because she needs a compressor/limiter so badly... the dynamic range between her speaking voice and her laughter is huge. I have to crank up the volume to hear her speaking, then spring for the volume whenever she laughs before my eardrums explode.

I am a sound tech, so I might notice or have more problems with such things than the average listener.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
The only time it was really a problem going from normal volume to something where I thought my eardrums were going to burst was when Nellie McKay was in the studio with Hayes and Jo Firestone, and she started playing her harmonica.

sonicdork

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »
Tom is still using the same setup for HHOP. It's just a bit more relaxed so he might not be as close to the microphone.