Author Topic: Podcast Downloads  (Read 2779 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Podcast Downloads
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
I download through Apple's podcast app. I've been experiencing an issue for several months now, although it has become a weekly thing for me. I'm open to the possibility that it's just something that's going on on my end, but I thought I would mention it here to see if it was happening to anyone else.

I tend to download the show the morning after. I've noticed that somewhere in the podcast, it skips ahead over some content. Then I can't fast forward or rewind without coming back to the skip point.

For example, in the NoDudeVember podcast, it jumped from where Tom was talking about the end of the Graceland tour until right in the middle of the Whopper discussion.

If I delete and re download it later in the week, the problem is not there.

Is this just me?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »

Is this just me?

As far as I can tell, Buff.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

sonicdork

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:38:56 AM »
This is the first I've heard of it. Does this still happen even after you do a software update?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
This is the first I've heard of it. Does this still happen even after you do a software update?

Dudio - yes, it happened as late as yesterday. My phone's always been tricky about podcasts and music playback, so I'm fine with the assumption it's on my end. I just thought I'd mention it to see if anybody else was having the same issue.

Assuming that you're not reuploading the podcast to fix it sometime later in the week every single week (because the problem goes away when I re-download the podcast), I think it's clear that the problem is on my end.

Thanks for your consideration!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »
Solution = re-download the podcast.

The first download, apparently, skimps on data.

Update: happened to me on the Half Hour of Power minutes ago.  I rewound and watched the timer and it didn't skip any numbers, however it skipped over a portion of the show. Freaky.

When you redownload it is the episode longer?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:05:34 AM »

Update: happened to me on the Half Hour of Power minutes ago.  I rewound and watched the timer and it didn't skip any numbers, however it skipped over a portion of the show. Freaky.

When you redownload it is the episode longer?

This is exactly what happens for me. I don't think the files shows as shorter, it just omits some of the playback. Weird.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »
Might it be a space/time continuum issue?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »
Might it be a space/time continuum issue?
Perhaps.

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »

I gave up on the Apple podcast app, and went with Overcast after spending a month reading podcast app reviews.
Oh god, did I really spend a month? Yes, yes I did. Take podcasts seriously, apparently.
Anyway, Overcast got great reviews and I love the interface. I voluntarily spent a couple dollars to upgrade to the Dark version, etc.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:31 PM »
This happened to me a couple of times recently when I would pause a podcast and it would automatically rewind itself a bit. Seems to have been an intermittent bug. Gone now.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »
Didn't seem to happen with last week's podcast!