Author Topic: That one Jonathan Richman album...  (Read 2296 times)

scribbled name

• Plantar Fasciitis
That one Jonathan Richman album...
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
Over the past few months Jonathan Richman has come up a couple times. Every time Richman comes up Tom references "that one album of his" that's a masterpiece, but I don't think Tom has ever actually said what album he's talking about.

Anyone have any idea?

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: That one Jonathan Richman album...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Tom is referring to the Modern Lovers self-titled album.

scribbled name

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks!

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
I totally would recommend exploring some of his solo stuff beyond the Modern Lovers if you dig that! I, Jonathan has some good cuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63stLm1Rw_U

But Tom is right, there are some tracks that get into territory that's...Barney-esque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqdgLo5Lo8

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »
Summer Feeling is one of my favorites off Jonathan Sings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzc3l-HooH8
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:11:10 AM »
Jonathan Sings! is great.

I'd also recommend checking out Because Her Beauty is Raw and wild. The last time I saw him, he closed with "As My Mother Lay Dying" from that album, and it was one of the most touching and beautiful performances I've ever seen. Whole crowd was in tears.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
In 2013 JR played the Burger Boogaloo and some kid was on stage about 15 feet away from him taking pictures, and Jonathan stopped his performance and CHASED him and his camera off the stage. It was really weird but hilarious

Aside form that I've only seen him play for free in kerouac alley and he mostly just played traditional sounding spanish songs...not really my thing.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

JVJ

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
In 2013 JR played the Burger Boogaloo and some kid was on stage about 15 feet away from him taking pictures, and Jonathan stopped his performance and CHASED him and his camera off the stage. It was really weird but hilarious

That Boogaloo moment was great! Only time I've seen Jonathan Richman swear.

He didn't seem to have a great time with that performance. Came back to Boogaloo a year or two later and, instead of playing the stage, had the crowd on the floor make room so he could set up the drum kit and mic because he didn't like the barrier set up between the crowd and the stage. Sat so close a had to pull my knees up to my chest to not kick the drums or trip him. Super intimate. Boogaloo's festival vibe is (was) pretty loose by festival standards anyway, but he totally demolished even that protocol. Liked it a lot.