Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Philly Boy Roy Call?  (Read 31158 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
What Is Your Favorite Philly Boy Roy Call?
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm working on putting something together and would love some input from the listenership.

What is your favorite Philly Boy Roy call? Please post the date and say why you like it.

Thanks so much for the help!

Tom.

The Cleef

• Policemans heel
Re: What Is Your Favorite Philly Boy Roy Call?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
Tom,
Is PBR "Invincible"?

Numero Uno
July 11, 2006: Philly Boy Roy And His Psychic Son
1-running of the cheese steaks
2-crimpet eating champion Roy jr exhibits 'nem powers
3-laser allen

My second favorite ... I can't find the date for- it's when Roy handcuffs his self to the doomed statium a year before it was to get tore down.

HonoUrable mentions...
March 19, 2002: A Barrage Of Special Guests - Philly Boy Roy Mocks Tom,
"You never had Cherry Wishniack? That's the Nectar of 'nem Gods"

I can't find the dates containing...
"Glass blowing kit" - there's a good whuuut in that one.

"Cheese steak turk hoagie" - thanksgiving Zeigler tradition

Okay,
theCleef

Do mysteries really exist?

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:48:44 AM »
I'll second theCleef's vote for:

July 11, 2006: Philly Boy Roy And His Psychic Son.  A great, multi-tiered PBR call -- Running of the Cheesesteaks into Roy, Jr's psychic powers into Laser Allin into the Quiznos that lacks Philly pride.  Also marks the debut of "Philadummy" being unleashed from PBR's canister of quips and snaps.

Runner-up:

March 28, 2006: Philly Boy Roy calls to talk about The Sopranos.  Another multi-tiered gem -- Fun Zappa riffs give way to a discussion of the Crawlspaces & Cheesteaks board game into the alternate universe version of The Sopranos that the Zieglers view from the Circuit City parking lot.  Fred Detweiler!  Old Vern! 

I'm probably neglecting some great, older PBR stuff because they are not as fresh in my mind, but these are my two favorites from this year.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

cokefantastic

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »

March 28, 2006: Philly Boy Roy calls to talk about The Sopranos.  Another multi-tiered gem -- Fun Zappa riffs give way to a discussion of the Crawlspaces & Cheesteaks board game into the alternate universe version of The Sopranos that the Zieglers view from the Circuit City parking lot.  Fred Detweiler!  Old Vern! 

This is mine.  Although there was a call where Roy couldn't stop laughing everytime you brought up novelty pencils... I couldn't find the date though.
"Some called it the Milky Way but for others the way was clear." - A Tek Jansen Adventure

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
Tom,

I don't remember the date, but PBR's concept of a "dance off/knife off" has haunted me for years as I flipped the cable channels in vain looking for this amazing new sport.

Buffcoat
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
03/28/06.  The Sopranos bit had me rolling.   

I'd have to listen to remember the details but I think May 14, 2002 was the one with the "Philly Fever" movie talk.  That kind of sums up all of PBR's obsessions. 

bruce

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
let's get old school folks:

1/15/02: Tom Argues With Philly Boy Roy About Why Philadelphia Isn't Better Than NY/NJ

1/22/02: Philly Boy Roy Challenges Tom To An 'All Or Nothing' Football Bet

then the follow up call where PBR welches on it on 2/5/02

Now wheres the Hot rockin ronny thread

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »

July 11, 2006: Philly Boy Roy And His Psychic Son.  A great, multi-tiered PBR call -- Running of the Cheesesteaks into Roy, Jr's psychic powers into Laser Allin into the Quiznos that lacks Philly pride.  Also marks the debut of "Philadummy" being unleashed from PBR's canister of quips and snaps.

Runner-up:

I'm probably neglecting some great, older PBR stuff because they are not as fresh in my mind, but these are my two favorites from this year.

While not nearly as epic as the above two calls, I greatly enjoyed the 12/13/05 PBR call in which he talked about his callback for Rocky VI (on one of his first audition tasks: "I punched meat.") and his "extreme" retooling of the Goldenberg Peanut Chews website.

DonovanAlabaster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »
I think you'd have to include
"Did you just say 'hold-on-a-second?'"
Hoagie

bccook

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 03:10:23 PM »
Bruce is on point with the "all-or-nothing" bet. Seconded!

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
My (recent) faves no one has mentioned yet:

1. Nov. 8, 2005: PBR's Weird Alliance
2. April 11, 2006: PBR v. Danielson

Whenever regular Best Show characters harass actual callers and guests, it makes me happy.

April 28, 2005: Rhoda Calls In might help flesh out the mystique. As might the Last Will & Testament, although PBR is terrifying without a foil.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »
My (recent) faves no one has mentioned yet:

1. Nov. 8, 2005: PBR's Weird Alliance
2. April 11, 2006: PBR v. Danielson

Whenever regular Best Show characters harass actual callers and guests, it makes me happy.

April 28, 2005: Rhoda Calls In might help flesh out the mystique. As might the Last Will & Testament, although PBR is terrifying without a foil.

~EmD

Good choices, especially the Weird Alliance.  In terms of fleshing out the mystique, the 5/30/06 show had a lot of interesting stuff re the Ziegler family, particularly the PBR-Roy, Jr. dynamic, which continued to become even more problematic in subsequent calls.  This is the call in which PBR documented the Ziegler's wild, borderline-criminal Memorial Day festivities at the Days Inn.  It also has the stuff about his father's refusal to let him view theatrical films when younger, thus he's still hoping to see The Swarm 2.

Ok, I've now cited four PBR calls.  I'm cutting myself off.

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 07:46:31 PM »
Off the top of my head:

I loved his movie script about tom.  phanatical daze

March 29, 2005 1 hour 55 minutes on the real audio archive

Of course, the night before christmas

1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

DanSF

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 08:39:48 PM »
November 29, 2005:  (I'm pretty sure this is the right date but not 100%)  Philly Boy Roy talks about the "challenge" issued from the E.O.T.  When he starts saying "sham-on!  sham-on!" at the end, I blew a snot on my computer screen. 

April 27, 2004: Philly Boy Roy becomes a motivational speaker.  This one had great flow.  Sorry if that sounds corny. 

Not Sure of the Date (Help me out anyone?):   Philly Fit Club - when he's talking about "Hoagie Boy" fashioning a magical flute out of a hoagie....oh man, that's some funny stuff.

Duncan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 02:33:13 AM »
Mine is November 29, 2005. I like the later calls as by then Tom and PBR have developed an amicable rapport. There have been funnier plots for PBR calls -- this one has PBR announcing his upcoming book, A Philadelphia Yankee on the Supreme Court -- but there are so many great lines and jokes in this one, and, more importantly, it covers pretty much every key aspect of PBR's character: the sleaziness, adultery, bigotry, opportunism, parental negligence, right-wing lunacy, alcohol/drug abuse, sexism, malapropisms, accent problems and one of the earlier insights into the creepy, hostile PBR/Roy, Jr. relationship. The anti-New Jersey agenda is there with PBR trying to start a debate on kicking New Jersey out of the union. It uncovers a new low for PBR -- hoping his mother will die of a cold by the weekend so he can scatter her ashes over Lincoln Financial Field to promote his book. And unusually for one of the later calls, Tom restates the premise of the character right off the bat. And Wurster is great with some of the funnier "what"s, "why"s, and laughs.

Some quotes:
"Oh, I forgot -- I'm listening to liberal radio!"

On Elton John:
"I don't like none of the other stuff, because of his personal stuff."
"What, you mean him being gay?"
"Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that's a nice way of putting it."

"Should we allow sex in public libraries or not?"
"No, we shouldn't!"
"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

"If we had little rooms for it, it would be great. None of nem kids would know about it, unless someone was very loud."

"What has New Jersey ever given us? All nem smokestacks?"

"It's good to know you're so on top of it."
"Oh, I'm on top of a lot of stuff. [long laugh] I bet you're not though. I can just tell."

"You had 18 Yuenglings?"
"No... 24. Why."
"You drank 24 Yuenglings tonight."
"In the last two hours."

Beyond that, the call namechecks David Brenner, Angie and Donna Pescow, the Hooters, the Eagles, Rocky, cheesesteaks, hoagies, the pencil factory, Wawa, and PBR signs off with a little "And We Danced". A classic!