Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 6910 times)

sixinchsub

• Plantar Fasciitis
Greetings
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »
Hey! New to the forum, new to the show (just hopped on back in November). Have heard the tale of a 'secret' forum unlock able at 50 or more posts, and hoping to come across that in the most honorable way possible. If it is not real, then the joke is on me.

From Buffalo NY.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »
It seems real, to me.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:56:34 AM »
Honorable, schmonorable (I haven't made that joke in, uh, a long time), there's a thread specifically made to get you to 50 posts without annoying any but the most annoyable people on the planet.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Honorable, schmonorable (I haven't made that joke in, uh, a long time), there's a thread specifically made to get you to 50 posts without annoying any but the most annoyable people on the planet.

Well, I think the so-called "honorable" way is a defensible approach, although I wouldn't use the term "honorable" myself. Allow me to justify myself (I make no justifications for other people, least of all Mr./Ms./Mx. sixinchsub, whom I hope will excuse my posting in this thread):

1) I am not in any particular rush to access the locked audio content. At the rate I am posting on this forum, I will have unlocked the content in about a month or two, in all likelihood. In the meantime, there are lots of unlistened shows in the WFMU archive that will keep me busy, in addition to already listened shows to which I may decide to return to should the mood strike me.

That said, I do not judge anybody for being in a rush to access the audio content or wanting to utilize the post burning thread. It is, after all, officially sanctioned by Tom--who can argue with that?

2) I like this website. I don't personally regard it is an obstacle that exists to be gamed merely for the extraction of goodies. That said, I think people are more than entitled to regard it in whatever way they want, and with all of the additional means of electronic self-expression these days (twitter, facebook, reddit, etc.), I say, more power to people's deciding for themselves what internet sites they wish to engage with.

I don't know exactly what factors led to the steep decline in this forum's popularity, it having happened before I joined, although I don't think it would be hard to piece together a persuasive theory. But having stumbled across the forum late, and wishing it would experience a healthy renaissance among FOTs, I am making a self-conscious effort to try to maximize the value I put into it, and this entails not utilizing the post-burning thread. When posts to that thread constituted a small fraction of activity on this site (as they once appeared to do), that was one thing. But when burning posts is a much more visible and popular utilization of this site than, say, talking with Mike about books or discussing one's favorite calls from the show, I do wonder how this encourages people to engage with this forum in an interesting, community-building way.

I don't want to seem sanctimonious or judgmental in this thread, and I definitely don't want to give the impression that I have The Answer for how to revitalize this site as a resource for FOTs. Are my posts on this site turning FOTs away more than they are making them want to engage? It's totally possible! I'm not that great at the internet! Nevertheless, I think it's OK to be "principled" about this--even if the stakes are ridiculously small and nobody else really cares.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »

Given the surfeit of free Best Show content I'm surprised anyone is still hungry for those downloads - I'm still working my way thru 2004-05 'FMU archives!

I still like the msgboards because it's old fashioned but I think the facebook "Bad Company" group is now the defacto repository for Best Show related effluvia.

In conclusion, long live the Best Show!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Hey, point taken. Nobody knows better than me how hard it is to get to 50 posts in this place.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
I don't know exactly what factors led to the steep decline in this forum's popularity, it having happened before I joined, although I don't think it would be hard to piece together a persuasive theory. 

Seems to me the decline is related to Twitter becoming ubiquitous and Tom no long reading/referencing the chat during the show.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
I don't know exactly what factors led to the steep decline in this forum's popularity, it having happened before I joined, although I don't think it would be hard to piece together a persuasive theory. 

Seems to me the decline is related to Twitter becoming ubiquitous and Tom no long reading/referencing the chat during the show.

I'd assume that Tom might read/reference the chat during the show if more people were using it, though, right? I guess I don't have a baseline for how popular the chat was "back in the day" compared to now, but it seems like this might be a bit of a chicken/egg problem, no?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »

I am an egg man.
I'd assume that Tom might read/reference the chat during the show if more people were using it, though, right? I guess I don't have a baseline for how popular the chat was "back in the day" compared to now, but it seems like this might be a bit of a chicken/egg problem, no?

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »

I am an egg man.

Scrambled or fried?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »
This is almost a perfect exercise in how not to use the "quote previous posts" function. Bravo, Freddie Ricks.

The forum slowed waay down during the hiatus and never has gotten going full steam again. That said, it averages more posts a day than a lot of forums for things that have been around 17 years.

I do think that if Tom referenced the forum during the show more, more people would post in it. That said, it's of course his prerogative - based on his past comments, sometimes the forum has been a source of joy for him and sometimes frustration.

The forum may not be as good as use of his or their time marketing the show as other media.

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
This is almost a perfect exercise in how not to use the "quote previous posts" function. Bravo, Freddie Ricks.

I assumed it was just a New Port Richey thing. When in Rome?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »

I assumed it was just a New Port Richey thing. When in Rome?
YAAQL!