Author Topic: Kevin Smith: FWD!  (Read 9125 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Kevin Smith: FWD!
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
[youtube=425,350]epg18Q1hKmI[/youtube]

Guy was just asking a relevant and accurate question.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Kevin Smith: FWD!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »
WHAT A COMEBACK!!1

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Classy, too.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
Really. This is like eighth grade lunch table banter.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:56:50 PM »
Amazing pwnage. Rip on a guy for his weight when you're probably a b-cup. Glass houses?

On another version of the clip, someone claiming to be the guy said:
He responded to my comment just the way I thought he would, and it didn't bother me at all that he insulted me, I'm just glad that I got to point out that he makes the same tired movie over and over again.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
Ap Mike's long lost brother

thecramedog

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
it's sad... the kid is smiling as he gets ripped by Smith.  As if it's some badge of honor.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:48:57 AM »
#7. Kevin Smith's Fletch Won
If at the mention of "Fletch" you groan and say, "That '80s Chevy Chase movie?" then we're very, very ashamed of you. Long before that film came along, the Fletch character appeared in a dozen very smart, funny novels by author Gregory McDonald. You should read them. No, not right now.

In 2000 Kevin Smith and Miramax got the rights to Fletch Won, a McDonald novel about a young Fletch that takes place before the Chevy Chase movies. It seemed like a perfect fit: It saved Smith from the burden of coming up with a story, and it let him focus on writing the crude, rapid-fire dialogue that is his one unique talent.

Pretty much every young male actor in Hollywood was mentioned in connection with the role (Matthew Perry, Brad Pitt, Adam Sandler, Jimmy Fallon, many more) but we'd have rolled the dice with Chris Rock, who apparently wanted the part very badly. The difference in race from the original Fletch shouldn't have been an issue. At worst, they could have just digitally added Chevy Chase's face and had Chris Rock dub the dialogue.

Why it didn't get made: Smith said he wouldn't direct the movie unless his best friend for life Jason Lee got the part. Shortly thereafter, Miramax announced that Smith wouldn't be directing the movie. Once again, Smith's career was evidently set back by his insistence that he only work with actors he's had at least one drunken pillow fight with. Since this limits his choices to Lee and Ben Affleck (and we're thinking the latter would not only have ruined the franchise, but would have incited fans to pile up all the copies of the novel and hold a Nazi-style book burning) the studio is wisely developing Fletch with another writer and director.

So everything's back on track! On the other hand, apparently the lead in talks to play Fletch is now—brace yourself—Zach Braff.

And while we're on the subject: Maybe Kevin Smith shouldn't take over other people's franchises after all; his Superman Lives script (widely available online) had the potential to be one of the worst movies ever made.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »
I wish the All Girl Summer Fun Band would do a follow up song to their smash hit "Jason Lee." It would be a sad, slow song about how Jason Lee and his wacky religion and his really bad TV show broke their hearts into tiny little pieces.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
My Boring Ass Life: The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith

Anything but boring, the creator of "Jay and Silent Bob" shares his x-rated thoughts in his diary, telling all in his usual candid, heartfelt and irreverent way! Lewd, crude and hilariously rude, Kevin Smith pulls no punches in this hard-hitting, in-your-face expose of, er, his rather dull and uneventful life... well, not always dull. In between watching his TiVo, he manages to make and release "Clerks II", relate the story of his partner-in-crime Jason Mewes' heroin addiction, get a tattoo, serve on a jury... and be berated for nose-picking by his erstwhile Playboy-model wife, Jen. Thrown in are his views on the perils of strip clubs, the drawback of threesomes, the pain of anal fissures, his love-affair with "Star Wars" and so much more!

Also, if that mumblecore article wasn't enough, I'm now officially done with the New York Times:
"Elevating the white-guy-doing-nothing prerogative from a lifestyle choice to a moral principle." - New York Times

GetOffMyBone

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »
Nice try, Kevin Smith, but Drew Carey already wrote the great American novel in Dirty Jokes and Beer.
GOODBYE GET OFF MY BONE
2006-2009

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 09:46:21 PM »

Also, if that mumblecore article wasn't enough, I'm now officially done with the New York Times:
"Elevating the white-guy-doing-nothing prerogative from a lifestyle choice to a moral principle." - New York Times

I ask as a fellow done-with-New-York-Times-er and someone who is on the fence about mumblecore but leaning towards anti: is it that you think mumblecore sucks, or that the NYT covered it badly?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
I ask as a fellow done-with-New-York-Times-er and someone who is on the fence about mumblecore but leaning towards anti: is it that you think mumblecore sucks, or that the NYT covered it badly?

Chris L already hit this one out of the park.

PatrickChew

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »

Damn, Chris L nailed it. Although my vote would be for calling it "shit-edge." (see what I did there?) Because, srsly? Mumblecore? That's the worst tag to call anything since "lo-fi."

Also, I just saw an ad for a new show called "Reaper" that boasts of Kevin Smith's involvement,which made me want to watch that show even less than I already did.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »

Hot damn, you can say that again.  HIGH-larious and spot-on.  I think the BM is an exception to Jason's rule about blogs (though certainly not the only one - I read a good Annalee Newitz article recently about how, contrary to all of the hype and hysteria, blogs tend to settle into the same hierarchy as a lot of other media - the good, or at least luridly interesting, stuff floats to the top, while the rest is just white noise.  But I digress).
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.