Author Topic: Marriage in trouble  (Read 14313 times)

Sarah

Re: Marriage in trouble
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 04:25:32 PM »
I was going for double irony!

Sorry. I was representing the department of the bleedingly obvious.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
The Old Skull bit has a special place in my heart since that was my first night as the call screener for The Best Show. Talk about starting off with a bang! The funny thing is I didn't even know Old Skull really existed. I thought the whole thing had been invented.
See God, Kai

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:23 PM »
the first show i listened to was in april 2005, when tom interviewed bishop pablo fontana. was a hilarious one- worked out very well as an introduction to the show. i'm working my way through the archives chronologically since.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

zzok

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 10:51:33 PM »
Hey NeedhelpinLville,
What are some movies or television shows or comedians that you find funny? I'm a married fanatic and my wife ,while not a fanatic or regular listener, laughs hysterically at The Best Show. She loves Tom..especially when he does that high pitched "goodbye" when he's hanging up with a caller. That kills her every time...and she was literally in tears when he was lambasting Steely Dan last Tuesday (especially his  guitar solo vocalizing) but my wife and I share a similar taste in comedy...and that's probably why I married her.
Which brings me to my second question:
What in the hell do you two see in each other??!?!?

um..that last question was just a joke.

lagartija nick

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »
I think the Best Show is a little esoteric.  Either you get it or you don't.  And more people I've introduced it to don't get it than do.  We who do are just fortunate to have found something that works so well for us.

I bet if you did a poll of people who like the Best Show, many of their TV and music preferences would be similarly aligned.  If you look at the pics on the post-your-pic thread, the FOT are pretty similar in terms of being either younger or older hipsters, many of whom are involved in the arts or technology in some way. 

I wonder sometimes if I'm the only completely nonartistic, in-his-30s corporate dude who listens to the show.  I'm a golf-playing consultant, fer cryin' out loud.  Sometimes I feel like the punk kid who shows up at the Jehovah's Witness convention by mistake.

So, NeedHelp, my advice is by all means give it several more tries - but don't get too frustrated trying to force yourself to like it.  It may be your cup of tea, but it may not.

I may be a little strange in that I seem to have completely opposite taste than Tom. I like the Mark Brothers, Steely Dan, don't think Kevin Smith movies are all that terrible. But it doesn't bother me in the least when he expresses his dislike for such things. I find it hilarious. Tom is well informed about what he does not like and always backs up what he says. In fact its kinda cool to hear an intelligent opposing point of view.

That being said I think "The Best Show" is the best 3 hours on radio every week. No one on the dial can touch him. I only wish that Tom could do 5 days a week.

I was introduced to Tom through the "Lady Talk" war and one of my favorite calls was the Black Tiger one. Being very ignorant about the show it took me a while to realise it was a bit.

NeedHelpinLville

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
I appreciate everyone's wise and candid advice. I'll confess, in listening to programs suggested here, as well as some older Philly Boy Roy bits, I have emitted a giggle here and there. I'm not a lost case, it seems. I'm also convinced that my husband appears to love me more as a result of my progress... but that might be in my head...

Keep the suggestions coming, kind FOTs,
NHiLV

Sarah

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »
Is he also trying to fall in love with something you care about that he has hitherto scorned?  Seems only fair . . .

NeedHelpinLville

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
Dear FOTs,

Update:
So, I have been studying/ emersing myself in Hippy Justice among other things. Though there are still calls that I have to stop before their conclusion due to physical discomfort, I have been spotted smirking and even laughing at others. I also find myself referring to them in casual conversation. I presume this indicates hope for continued improvement. Thanks to you all for your continued support and advice!

With warmth (and various death threats),
NHiLV