Author Topic: FOT Extra-Curricular Activities Bulletin Board  (Read 199473 times)

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: FOT Extra-Curricular Activities Bulletin Board
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »
Toronto FOTs:

My girlfriend Carla's new band, Sister, are playing their very first show on Saturday, January 24 at 9.00pm at the Smiling Buddha (College and Dovercourt). I haven't actually heard them yet, but I'm willing to bet they play super-catchy and atmospheric rock with lots of vocal harmonies and some occasional shredding.

What I do know for certain is that Sister features former members of notable indie rockers Plumtree and the Local Rabbits. If you lived in Canada in the 90s and listened to a lot of college radio you might find that exciting. I know I do.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
NYC FOT:

I'm reading at the Nuyorican Poets' Cafe on Monday, January 12, but Andrea's recording it for the show so you can just wait at home to hear it, unless you want to actually witness me grooving out Bob Denver style.  Then, on the 16th, there's this:

DARWIN'S CHALLENGE
by Jason Grote
After making his way to the Galapagos Islands in a hilarious mishap filled sea voyayge, the young Charles Darwin finds himself zapped into the 21st Centruy and into Darwin's Challenge, a half-staged reality TV show that totally garbles and misuses his ideas. Friday, 1/16, 7pm.  Ensemble Studio Theatre | 549 West 52nd Street | New York | NY | 10019

I find the whole convention of the staged reading to be faintly ridiculous, and rarely attend them myself.  HOWEVER, this is special!  It's the first play that I wrote as a full-fledged FOT from start to finish, and it contains a number of hidden and not-so-hidden references and tributes to Tom, The Best Show, and even the FOT! 

Both things are free.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2009, 10:41:13 PM »
You know what would be good for that Darwin play? A video I could watch of it. I hear video cameras are pretty cheap these days too, what with all the money you NYCFOT are saving on admission.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
WASHINGTON DC FOTssss:

Perhaps because I'm crazy, I'll be in DC on inauguration day, attending the Brightest Young Things Inauguration Spectacular. Besides the fact that I'm crazy, friend-guys Mathematicians are playing this event. They got a very nice review from BYT when they played at the Kansas House with Edie Sedgewick in November. So DC FOT's, if you muster the courage to leave your house, I will be at the show. I hear there will be burlesque dancers, a live donkey, and many other fun, loud bands.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »
You know what would be good for that Darwin play? A video I could watch of it. I hear video cameras are pretty cheap these days too, what with all the money you NYCFOT are saving on admission.

Actors' Equity actually has pretty strict rules against videotaping live performances.  But even if we could get all the actors to go along with it, I think you would be more entertained if I videotaped a driveway for a couple of hours and sent that to you.  A video of a staged reading!  It's like Ambien, but even more effective.

I will most likely be coming out to Seattle in '09, though.  I have a production at a tiny theater in Seattle, and a larger one wants to commission a new play from me, if I can get over my grudge against them. 

Also, Beth, that sounds awesome.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
...I think you would be more entertained if I videotaped a driveway for a couple of hours and sent that to you.  A video of a staged reading!  It's like Ambien, but even more effective.

good heavens, that's the truth. 

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »

Actors' Equity actually has pretty strict rules against videotaping live performances.  But even if we could get all the actors to go along with it, I think you would be more entertained if I videotaped a driveway for a couple of hours and sent that to you.  A video of a staged reading!  It's like Ambien, but even more effective.

I will most likely be coming out to Seattle in '09, though.  I have a production at a tiny theater in Seattle, and a larger one wants to commission a new play from me, if I can get over my grudge against them. 

Also, Beth, that sounds awesome.

Ok, fair enough. If you post details here, I'll see your play(s)!

Come on, Jason

« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
WASHINGTON DC FOTssss:
Perhaps because I'm crazy, I'll be in DC on inauguration day, attending the Brightest Young Things Inauguration Spectacular. Besides the fact that I'm crazy, friend-guys Mathematicians are playing this event. They got a very nice review from BYT when they played at the Kansas House with Edie Sedgewick in November. So DC FOT's, if you muster the courage to leave your house, I will be at the show. I hear there will be burlesque dancers, a live donkey, and many other fun, loud bands.

I went to that Kansas House show, and your friends were indeed very good.

I will likely be at the Inaugural Spectacular, as well, though I hope they at least sedate the donkey.

Forrest

« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
NYC FOT:

I'm reading at the Nuyorican Poets' Cafe on Monday, January 12, but Andrea's recording it for the show so you can just wait at home to hear it, unless you want to actually witness me grooving out Bob Denver style. 

I am planning on being at this. If any other NYCFOT are interested, let me know.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:12 AM »
NYC FOT:

I'm reading at the Nuyorican Poets' Cafe on Monday, January 12, but Andrea's recording it for the show so you can just wait at home to hear it, unless you want to actually witness me grooving out Bob Denver style. 

I am planning on being at this. If any other NYCFOT are interested, let me know.

I'm planning to go also if I can clear my schedule for Monday night.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2009, 12:42:25 AM »
My girlfriend Carla

jpeg?
post of the year.  you can all stop trying.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
So even though this thread has been floating around for like a year and half, I thought I would finally take this opportunity to officially plug my blog: http://theunblinkingear.blogspot.com/

Yes, it's music oriented. *yawn*

I also do a podcast which I feature on the blog. I just uploaded my best of 2008 podcast. Here's a little shortcut for all the podcasts: http://theunblinkingear.blogspot.com/search/label/Podcast

You can also subscribe to my podcast for free via iTunes. Just search for "unblinking ear" in the iTunes store.

Thanks, FOTs!
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
WASHINGTON DC FOTssss:

I went to that Kansas House show, and your friends were indeed very good.

I will likely be at the Inaugural Spectacular, as well, though I hope they at least sedate the donkey.

Apparent FOT hip hop favorite Wale is performing there as well.  I have to admit I'm a little afraid for the donkey.  I'm thinking this will turn into Au Hasard Balthasaar with rails. 

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
Unblinkin' gear?