Author Topic: Steve Coogan, Chris Morris, British comedy of the moment...  (Read 45926 times)

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Steve Coogan, Chris Morris, British comedy of the moment...
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »
I just read that Courtney Love (reputable source!) accused Steve Coogan of supplying drugs to Owen Wilson that led to his unfortunate troubles of the moment.  Putting that aside...

There was a time on the Show that Tom semi-regularly spoke of his enjoyment of a certain branch of modern British comedy (it has been discussed on the various boards too) --
Steve Coogan and Chris Morris, stars of a past moment, have both moved on/fallen off/repeated themselves too much.

What can you recommend?

Miss

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Steve Coogan, Chris Morris, British comedy of the moment...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I love Steve Coogan - and this rumor makes me very sad. But I also remember a rumor Courtney started about being pregnant with Coogan's baby.

So what can I recommend? Only the most obvious, The Office, which is possibly the funniest TV show ever. I also enjoyed Little Britain.. I was told that Black Books is amazing, but haven't gotten to see it yet.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:00:59 AM »

GARTH

MARENGHI'S

DARKPLACE
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
Black Books is very good, and to boot it provides an excellent, copyable model for a misanthrope.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
Garth Merenghi's Darkplace is very funny.  It's all over YouTube too, last time I checked, so you might not even need an all-region dvd player to see the whole series. 

Black Books is enjoyable for Dylan Moran's misanthrope routine, but not as good as I'd hoped.  Maybe my expectations were raised too high by Father Ted (also co-written by Graham Linehan), which is one of my favorite tv comedies.  Big Train, Linehan and Matthews' sketch comedy show starring Simon Pegg and other familiar faces, is out on US dvd now, and that was an even bigger disappointment. 

What else? Peep Show is often fantastic and really picks up in its third episode or so.  The dark, "uncomfortable" style of humour is becoming played out but they do it really well.  Unfortunately, it looks like the first series is the only one they're releasing here.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
I'll second Peep Show - that show is snort-out-loud funny a lot of the time.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

GetOffMyBone

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
I gotta third Darkplace. Holy cow is that show great!

I also really enjoyed the Look Around You Series One shorts. You can find all 8 in their entirety (plus the double-long pilot on Calcium) here: http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=Look+Around+You&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv

There are also clips of Series 2 but those stray away from the "Science Video for School" structure and are not the full episodes.

GOODBYE GET OFF MY BONE
2006-2009

John Junk

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 01:06:08 PM »
Uh-Oh, now Steve Coogan's gonna put the Owen Wilson curse on Courtney Love.

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:20:09 PM »
I just read that Courtney Love (reputable source!) accused Steve Coogan of supplying drugs to Owen Wilson that led to his unfortunate troubles of the moment. 

Courtney's full of shit.  She tried to hire El Duce to kill Kurt and when he started talking about it she had him drugged and run over by a train.  Hard to believe Alan Partidge actually dated the skank (if just for 2 weeks.)  She's clearly bitter and trying to besmirch Coogan's good name.  Bah!

bruce

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
Dark Place
Black Books (thanks again for those DVDs Jason)
Steve Coogan's live stuff
Spaced
The second series of The IT Crowd started and already its much better then the first one
Saxondale
I like Hyperdrive but I see it for the Red Dwarf rip off that it is just with a better budget
oh and Darth Maul's got a show coming in October

Jason

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
oh and Darth Maul's got a show coming in October

I predict this will be the funniest thing ever.
[youtube=425,350]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zLw0Jcuy230[/youtube]

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »
The Mighty Boosh is fucking brilliant. one of my favorite shows out of Britain right now. Noel Felding and Julian Barret also do a lot of cameos on other British comedy shows, including Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mTbDLizVdCY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_K3n_8LM1Yo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=U7G3AxzeIxY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2szNKnsXo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SepO6ZQab5c[/youtube]

You can only get it on region 2 dvd but if have a region 0 player or some other way to play foreign it's well worth buying.

on second thought, it's probably worth buying a new dvd player.

you can also find all the episodes for free on tv-links.co.uk

I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

bruce

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »
I totally forgot about the Boosh makes me want to break out my light blue Safari Suit and sing Total Eclipse Of Heart

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »
I third The Mighty Boosh. Great stuff. Tittybangbang, although not quite as good, can also be amusing.
See God, Kai

Susannah

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »
I absolutely love "Peep Show," you can watch most of the entire series at www.tv-links.co.uk

Another favorite is "The Book Group," not to be confused with "Black Books." It's about an American girl who moves to Glasgow and forms a book group in the hopes of meeting new people...it's also very uncomfortable and awkward at times, but that makes the funny bits even funnier.

I still think "Coronation Street" and "River City" are the funniest things on British television, even though they're not supposed to be. If you can find the episodes of Corrie with Ian McKellen on them (from late-2005/early 2006), they are well worth watching!

I think "Nathan Barley" has been mentioned on this board a few times; Chris Morris's post-"Brasseye" work; I liked it although I know it's not as well-received.  I guess there's always old episodes of "Only Fools and Horses" to fall back on, though!