Author Topic: Steve Coogan, Chris Morris, British comedy of the moment...  (Read 46071 times)

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Steve Coogan, Chris Morris, British comedy of the moment...
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
Snuff Box is great too- it's Matt Berry & Rich Fulcher from The Mighty Boosh, although if you don't like that show you may not like this.  Rich Fulcher is the funniest American unknown in his home country since Benny Hill (or is that Rich Hall?).

This show is absolutely amazing, although I've only seen the youtube clips (I don't have BBC3/4 and there's no DVD, boo!). Matt Berry's "FUCK you!" sketches are the greatest.

Speaking of, Mr. Berry/God is doing a show here in 2 weeks! Nobody has any idea what it'll be.. he's released an album (Opium) of mostly serious songs - in that ridiculously lovely voice - so it'll probably be stuff from that, probably with One Track Lover thrown in. I can't wait to get my autograph on with him.
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Sarah

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
So, now that I'm finally going to brave the wild world of torrenting, I need an invitation to The Box.  Can anyone help?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:19 AM »
So, now that I'm finally going to brave the wild world of torrenting, I need an invitation to The Box.  Can anyone help?

I need an invitation to "OiNK."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Laurie

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »

I thought it was an open system. I signed up without an invitation. My ratio's horrible, as I downloaded two seasons of Never Mind Simon Amstell's Hair, He's Adorable.

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 03:03:20 PM »

I thought it was an open system. I signed up without an invitation. My ratio's horrible, as I downloaded two seasons of Never Mind Simon Amstell's Hair, He's Adorable.

I think it's open, even though you gain invites as your ratio goes up.  The trick to using The Box is to download some large, popular files and keep seeding them.  I've never uploaded anything (I have nothing they would accept) but have been constantly seeding Black Books, Nighty Night and a few others- I have a great ratio due to this.  I've found some great Peter Cook stuff through there... also Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe is pretty fun.

Sarah

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »
Here's an embarrassing request:  could someone post a link to The Box? When I look for it, the closest I get to it is an anime site.

Laurie

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »
I think it's hosted in Australia. thebox.co.au or something.

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis

Sarah

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »
Thank you, ov.  But, just as I was informed, an invite is necessary.  Here's the message I got when I tried to sign up:  "Sorry. We have reached our maximum open signup limit (45,000). We now require an invite to join. Please try to get one from the IRC channel (#thebox.bz) or preferably from a friend."

So, is anyone here friend enough to invite me?

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 03:56:42 PM »
Thank you, ov.  But, just as I was informed, an invite is necessary.  Here's the message I got when I tried to sign up:  "Sorry. We have reached our maximum open signup limit (45,000). We now require an invite to join. Please try to get one from the IRC channel (#thebox.bz) or preferably from a friend."

So, is anyone here friend enough to invite me?

I just checked up on that myself- when I joined it was still open.  Sarah, I can give you an invite.

Sarah

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 08:40:58 AM »
I've been loving season 1 of Nighty Night.  Not new, I know, but I have to say how much I've been enjoying it somewhere, and this thread wins.  Jill is such a perfect sociopath.  Hilarious but truly terrifying at the same time.

Note:  I believe it was Hubbard who told me about Nighty Night in the chat many, many months ago.  Or Riley.  One of the listeners from those parts, anyway.  The ones we lost when the chat shifted.  Sniff.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
I don't know about nighty nighty, I can sort of see the humour in it but it just doesn't do it for me. I found it hard to believe that all those people would put up with her behaviour, its almost like they realised this too because halfway through the first series it really gets rammed home that they are all christians (and therefore tolerant and forgiving).

Julia Davis is the real life partner of Julian Barret from the Mighty Boosh and Nathan Barley. Sorry ladies.

Sarah

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
Julia Davis is the real life partner of Julian Barret from the Mighty Boosh and Nathan Barley. Sorry ladies.

I discovered that on IMDb only yesterday.  It gave me a slight pang, but my crush on Julian Barratt remains strong.

And, yes, of course it's utterly ridiculous to think that people would put up with Jill's behavior, although I have seen sociopaths get away with some pretty astonishing shenanigans just because no one can quite believe that they're actually doing what they're doing.  It's more the constant stream of oddness coming out of her mouth that is making me laugh.  And her gorgeous lack of guilt or, for that matter, mere embarrassment, even when she's caught (another characteristic of the sociopath, that).  It makes me wonder where Julia Davis acquired her expertise. 

Sarah

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »
Watching the latest season of The Mighty Boosh, I couldn't help noticing Noel Fielding's remarkable resemblance to Amy Winehouse in the brain receptionist scene in episode 2.  It's not just the beehive.

The show is reminding me a lot of The Young Ones.  For some reason the similarities didn't strike me before.

octopus volcano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 08:13:53 PM »
The Mighty Boosh are on the cover of the latest NME, they're the "guest editors" of the issue.  Worth a browse, I bought a copy for my lady.