Author Topic: Unfair Record Review Request  (Read 29609 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Unfair Record Review Request
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:48:13 AM »
I would love to hear Tom doing real-time commentary on Harry Shearer's new CD. I believe that he would give language to the feelings that I experience that my abject terror will not allow me to articulate.

Also, as is so often the case, I thought of the answer to the question "Which commercial would be better suited as a TV series", two days after the show ran. I believe the answer is "Apply directly to the forehead."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Unfair Record Review Request
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »
I'd like to hear Unfair Record Reviews of any or all of the following:

Iron & Wine
Calexico
PJ Harvey
Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »
Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek

aw, this would just break my heart.
Tom can do the Modest Mouse covers cd. other than that, leave Kozelek alone!

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:03:54 AM »
From my first impression, Tom could do a fair record review of the new Levon Helm CD and it would probably be hilarious.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
I love Red House Painters. I also love Calexico and Iron & Wine. Mr. Sam Beam is from Miami. Also, Mike McGonigal was the first person to put out his music.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
Just to clarify, I kinda like Sun Kil Moon and I like some of Kozelek's solo stuff (specifically the AC/DC covers album). I just think it'd be funny to hear Tom take the stuff apart because, let's face it, Kozelek kinda makes himself an easy target for mockery.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:33 PM »
Battles, Babyshambles, Kings Of Leon, whatever is the newest Mars Volta/Coheed and Cambria pothead garbage.

Forrest

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
Battles, Babyshambles, Kings Of Leon, whatever is the newest Mars Volta/Coheed and Cambria pothead garbage.

Okay, clearly you're not down with prog-leaning bands, but Battles has no rightful place on your list. That record is the jam.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 01:30:02 AM »

Okay, clearly you're not down with prog-leaning bands, but Battles has no rightful place on your list. That record is the jam.

Au contraire, I own and will listen to the Battles albums and EPs. I just think, like most proggy bands, that they take themselves way too seriously, and that they tend to drop the ball and meander into noodly wankery.

They're also the band that perfectly bridges the gap between decent, respectable hard working rock and the Mike Patton/Zappa/Zorn/Buckethead world personified by the Angry Mr. Bungle Fan. It's a connection that should be noted.

It's always especially neat to hear Tom tear into something you actually like, in my experience.

I've tried to like Tom Waits before.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »

Tom Waits just needs an editor.  He's one of these guys that has some good songs, some bad, and he can't seem to tell the difference.  Stephin Merritt is the same way. But Rain Dogs is one of my favorite albums. 

Tom S. has said that he likes Radiohead, who are the worst band ever.  Except when they invented electronic music.  Them and Bjork.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »

Tom Waits just needs an editor.  He's one of these guys that has some good songs, some bad, and he can't seem to tell the difference.  Stephin Merritt is the same way. But Rain Dogs is one of my favorite albums. 

Tom S. has said that he likes Radiohead, who are the worst band ever.  Except when they invented electronic music.  Them and Bjork.

Robert Pollard needs an editor, Tom Waits needs a new singer and some decent clothes.

Your Radiohead comments elude me.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

Robert Pollard needs an editor, Tom Waits needs a new singer and some decent clothes.

Tom Waits also needs some face cream. 

Spot on about Robert Pollard.  I am always suspicious of the quality control of the overly prolific.

My particular animus against Radiohead is in part caused by the fact that nearly every person on the Internet loves them.  Meanwhile, their music is boring and unoriginal.  Remember when Perry Farrell released a drum and bass album?  Radiohead are a slightly more successful version of that.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »

Spot on about Robert Pollard.  I am always suspicious of the quality control of the overly prolific.

My particular animus against Radiohead is in part caused by the fact that nearly every person on the Internet loves them.  Meanwhile, their music is boring and unoriginal.  Remember when Perry Farrell released a drum and bass album?  Radiohead are a slightly more successful version of that.

Pretty much everybody in reality likes Radiohead. It's not like they're the Ron Paul of current music. Listen to OK Computer or Amnesiac a little more closely and tell me it's unoriginal.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »

Pretty much everybody in reality likes Radiohead. It's not like they're the Ron Paul of current music. Listen to OK Computer or Amnesiac a little more closely and tell me it's unoriginal.

I've listened to every Radiohead album relatively closely, including the new one.  They're just awful.  Boring, indie prog rock with uninteresting IDM touches.

At least Bjork just went and *hired* people from the electronic music world to create her albums for her.  Radiohead just copies.  No that there's anything wrong with copying.  But it's just that they're not particularly good at it.  Their music is so lifeless sounding.

Unlike Perry Farrell's flirtation with drum and bass, choosing to copy sounds from Aphex Twin and so on at least exhibits better taste in music.  What I hear in Radiohead is not good music, but the result of a good music collection.

Edit:  Dr. Thorpe says it best, as usual: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/radiohead-sucks.php

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:19 PM »

I've listened to every Radiohead album relatively closely, including the new one.  They're just awful.  Boring, indie prog rock with uninteresting IDM touches.

At least Bjork just went and *hired* people from the electronic music world to create her albums for her.  Radiohead just copies.  No that there's anything wrong with copying.  But it's just that they're not particularly good at it.  Their music is so lifeless sounding.

Unlike Perry Farrell's flirtation with drum and bass, choosing to copy sounds from Aphex Twin and so on at least exhibits better taste in music.  What I hear in Radiohead is not good music, but the result of a good music collection.

Yeah, Radiohead's real proggy, the way they don't even have a song over five and a half minutes long and everything is verse-chorus-verse. Why do you keep bringing up Bjork and Perry Farrell? neither of them sound like eachother or Radiohead at all.

Feud over on my end, ok?