Author Topic: Wu tang  (Read 13705 times)

Andy

• Space Champion!
Wu tang
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »
Tom-
Why is the new Wu tang album so great?

And who is your favorite member?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: Wu tang
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
IN MIAMI ON JAN. 25 GOT MY TIX TODAY
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
Tom (and every other board reader),

Have you gone over to www.loud.com to download the Wu-Tang endorsed and completely free Mix tape? I love it soooooo much. I can't wait for the new album.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »
Awesome - thanks for this, Gagneaux.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
you did it again,  you did it again...

Ghostface Killa did it again.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:42:58 PM »
you did it again,  you did it again...

Ghostface Killa did it again.

Do you like the new Wu more than the new Ghostface?  Ive decided to hold off on listening to Big Doe until I actually buy it.

BTW: Not sure how many Friends of Tom are friends of Scarface but his new album is pretty great too.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »
early on I like the new Ghostface a little better, but really, is any individual Wu Tang member's album really that different that an official Wu Tang album?

I need to check out Scarface.  I used to love him and didn't know he was still putting stuff out.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:23:40 AM »
early on I like the new Ghostface a little better, but really, is any individual Wu Tang member's album really that different that an official Wu Tang album?

With Ghostface as of late, I think he's definitely his own entity.  Though his sound is still Wu at its root, his albums are no longer overflowing with Wu guest appearances which is bad news for second/third string Clan affiliates (somewhere, Remedy is crying). 

I need to check out Scarface.  I used to love him and didn't know he was still putting stuff out.

Definitely get the new Scarface.  It's the same Scarface you loved from back in the day.  It's his first album since The Fix which had the song "Guess Who's Back" with Jay and Beans produced by Kanye aka "One of My Fav Hip Hop Songs Ever".  Id marry it if I though I had a chance with it.

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
The new Wu and the Ghostface both suck.

You indie rock people should be after more challenging fare if you're gonna listen to hiphop.
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »

You indie rock people should be after more challenging fare if you're gonna listen to hiphop.
what should we be listening to?
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »

what should we be listening to?
I'm glad you asked
http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank

Saul Williams has been doing some interesting stuff, K-OS out of Canada
Hell Razah just put out an album to zero fanfare.

Heck I don't even know I'm too busy listening to the older stuff to even pay too much attention to the scene. But I'm sure there is good stuff out there if you look. Anything but this same old rigmarole.

"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:07:06 AM »
This is a big problem with hip hop. I'm not looking to slam you, Ason, but there's some massive resistance to letting a hip hop artist develop over the long run and build a catalog and a career. What should Ghostface do, shoot himself because he's been around for more than five years? He's been in the game three years less than Jeff Tweedy, but nobody's asking for his retirement.

Most of the hip hop I buy is indie stuff, for the record, so it's not like I don't know that there's a whole world out there. (Unfortunately I don't have edited versions, so they are not a big part of the Best Show). But I don't dump on guys like Ghost or Jay-Z just because they're still doing it.

Let the guys in their 30's do their thing, son.

Tom.

Tim K in DC

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 04:39:18 AM »
Having worked security and stage management for a number of mid-level (high 500-capacity) hip hop shows over the past year and a half, these shows tend to be something to dread due to the crowds the artists draw (at least in the greater Boston area). The performers are usually cool, but the crowd... after a couple of bad ones, I ALWAYS go to work seriously wondering if I am going to make it home alive. Lest I be interpreted as racist, I should state upfront that a) I am white and b) so are the VAST majority of the genuine thugs and suburban wannabes who buy tickets for these shows. I enjoy real hip hop from a record, but the pervasive ugliness in a live context -- a bunch of dudes bragging about all the caine they've slang, women they've disrespected, guns they've shot, people they've maimed/killed, and, if it's a rap battle, how much of a homosexual their opponent is -- has ruined any appreciation I had of live renditions of the genre. It makes me sad in the same way hardcore did in the mid- to late-1990s when idiot, violence prone, gang-oriented fans (again, most of them white) couldn't control themselves and rendered a legitimate entertainment form illigitimate by leaving a bunch of forced-out-of-business live entertainment venues in their stupid fucking wake. It's only going to be a matter of months before something really bad happens and hip hop gets shut out of the legitimate live entertainment business for good. From what I have seen, it deserves nothing less. RIP, you fucks. You earned it.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 04:44:37 AM »
Boston ruins everything.

Tom.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »
He's been in the game three years less than Jeff Tweedy, but nobody's asking for his retirement.

Tom.

I hereby call for Jeff Tweedy to retire.

But then again, I'm a Jay Farrar Man myself.  Through and through.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!