Author Topic: Wu tang  (Read 13708 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Wu tang
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
Boston ruins everything.

Tom.

It's true.  I don't want to jump on the anti-Boston bandwagon, as I've had a great time every time I've been there, and I largely resent NY these days anyway, but I just had a long conversation with a friend who is a lifelong Boston native and a columnist for the Globe about 7 Seconds' "The Crew."  I grew up loving that song and album for the feeling of belonging it gave me, however illusory, but to him it represented everything thuggish and evil about hardcore.  Eventually he conceded that growing up in Boston, where there were real crews who routinely beat people up, forever ruined the song and concept for him, while for me, growing up in Jersey (and moving to a different town every couple of years, which is the worst of all possible worlds), the whole idea helped me deal with all that suburban alienation stuff.

I would like it, however, if every single person featured on a 92.3 K-Rock poster or billboard would retire, effecitve immediately (for non NY/NJ-ers, these include The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, The Foo Fighters, Opie & Anthony, Pearl Jam, and probably some others I'm forgetting).
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
Boston ruins everything.

Tom.

It's true.  I don't want to jump on the anti-Boston bandwagon, as I've had a great time every time I've been there, and I largely resent NY these days anyway, but I just had a long conversation with a friend who is a lifelong Boston native and a columnist for the Globe about 7 Seconds' "The Crew."  I grew up loving that song and album for the feeling of belonging it gave me, however illusory, but to him it represented everything thuggish and evil about hardcore.  Eventually he conceded that growing up in Boston, where there were real crews who routinely beat people up, forever ruined the song and concept for him, while for me, growing up in Jersey (and moving to a different town every couple of years, which is the worst of all possible worlds), the whole idea helped me deal with all that suburban alienation stuff.

I would like it, however, if every single person featured on a 92.3 K-Rock poster or billboard would retire, effecitve immediately (for non NY/NJ-ers, these include The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, The Foo Fighters, Opie & Anthony, Pearl Jam, and probably some others I'm forgetting).

7 seconds is thuggish??

your friend better not come to Newbridge or he'll get barged by Hammerhead
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

kray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »
The new Wu and the Ghostface both suck.

You indie rock people should be after more challenging fare if you're gonna listen to hiphop.
what should we be listening to?
I'm glad you asked
http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank

Saul Williams has been doing some interesting stuff, K-OS out of Canada
Hell Razah just put out an album to zero fanfare.

Heck I don't even know I'm too busy listening to the older stuff to even pay too much attention to the scene. But I'm sure there is good stuff out there if you look. Anything but this same old rigmarole.

i'm glad you asked....your comment is so pompous i think it's probably a joke, so excuse me for seriously responding to it seriously if so. first of all, claiming that saul williams and k-os are doing more prolific work than wu tang, ghostface, jay z automatically disqualifies (or at least discredits) you from critiquing anything hip hop. saul williams has been floundering for years. k-os has done some nice work, but has done so little for hip hop in comparison to these other guys you seemingly slam, because they've taken more press. they're not even doing to same type of work first of all. sounds like you dig the posi stuff rather than street. if that's the issue, just say so.

i did a little college radio show ason. i've seen plenty of people who rep unknowns, sometimes it's justified, sometimes not. this time, your guys don't even count as unknowns, and its totally unjustified.

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 08:00:59 AM »
This is a big problem with hip hop. I'm not looking to slam you, Ason, but there's some massive resistance to letting a hip hop artist develop over the long run and build a catalog and a career. What should Ghostface do, shoot himself because he's been around for more than five years? He's been in the game three years less than Jeff Tweedy, but nobody's asking for his retirement.

Most of the hip hop I buy is indie stuff, for the record, so it's not like I don't know that there's a whole world out there. (Unfortunately I don't have edited versions, so they are not a big part of the Best Show). But I don't dump on guys like Ghost or Jay-Z just because they're still doing it.

Let the guys in their 30's do their thing, son.

Tom.

Oh no
trust me I'm getting older myself I want to hear the older voices. GFK album sucked specifically because I think he was trying to appeal to teenagers and the mainstream. At this point I expect Starks to be crazier than ever carving out a niche with his stream of consciousness flows, bizarre storytelling and witticisms. Not paint by the numbers crack rap. MF Doom seems to me to have the right idea. He's having more success and name recognition than ever in a long career his reaction? To become even more insular.

Music it seems to me is always advanced by the outsiders being so awesome
that mainstream is forced to acknowledge and adapt to them.

"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 08:24:09 AM »
i'm glad you asked....your comment is so pompous i think it's probably a joke, so excuse me for seriously responding to it seriously if so. first of all, claiming that saul williams and k-os are doing more prolific work than wu tang, ghostface, jay z automatically disqualifies (or at least discredits) you from critiquing anything hip hop. saul williams has been floundering for years. k-os has done some nice work, but has done so little for hip hop in comparison to these other guys you seemingly slam, because they've taken more press. they're not even doing to same type of work first of all. sounds like you dig the posi stuff rather than street. if that's the issue, just say so.

i did a little college radio show ason. i've seen plenty of people who rep unknowns, sometimes it's justified, sometimes not. this time, your guys don't even count as unknowns, and its totally unjustified.

Well I'm a pompous kind of guy. Saul Williams + K-Os aren't as prolific no, but they are working towards expanding the boundaries of the genre. I grew up in a age where there wasn't a distinction between street and whatever and I refuse to look at things that way. I think you're either advancing or standing still.

In context of TS and the Best Show we're talking about an audience that will listen to blazing rock like the Blood Brothers, Set Fire To The Face On Fire. I find it disappointing someone might think to follow that up with Jay-Z's mumbling soul less boasting.

Jay-Z is another one that guy has been a parasite on east coast rap, he just sticks around and sticks around
dude has as much soul as an accountant. He rode the trends out and has tremendous material wealth because of it...I guess that should be celebrated but not in a musical context give him a spread in the Wall Street Journal or something.
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
Pfft, that Saul Williams album is stupid poetry slam garbage. It's like somebody took a real rap album shopping for accessories at Hot Topic.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:03:38 AM »
Pfft, that Saul Williams album is stupid poetry slam garbage. It's like somebody took a real rap album shopping for accessories at Hot Topic.

I wasn't going to say anything because I am trying to judge less on stuff that is a matter of taste, but that Saul Williams album sounded like some HBO slam poetry over a bad NIN album.

Seriously, TR, does everything you touch have to sound like that?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 08:42:02 AM »
He's been in the game three years less than Jeff Tweedy, but nobody's asking for his retirement.

Tom.

I hereby call for Jeff Tweedy to retire.

But then again, I'm a Jay Farrar Man myself.  Through and through.

I'm a Ricky Fataar man myself.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm a Jamie Farr man. Or am I supposed to go more esoteric?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
Car Man, he's good.

"You know what else (Skillet Man) sprays that Pam on? 

"What?"

"Guess."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

John Junk

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »
My favorite new rap album is The Art of Storytelling by Slick Rick.   :-\

neilnumberman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »
My favorite new rap album is The Art of Storytelling by Slick Rick.   :-\
Absolutely! One of the best

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 03:19:40 AM »
8 Diagrams...best album of the year. Yeah, there are a few weak tracks. So many great ones though. RZA's production is always amazing and this album is RZA at his best.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »
stick me for my riches  is my current fav
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
 I'm pretty sure his name is Paul Williams.

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."