Author Topic: Wacky George Carlin Is a Barrel of Laughs  (Read 2672 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Wacky George Carlin Is a Barrel of Laughs
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
I was listening to the show about unfunny funny men.  I was surprised that Carlin was on the list.  Not because I was actually familiar with his comedy, but because he was famous and so I assumed he must be funny.

Then I found this article, titled "Wacky George Carlin Is a Barrel of Laughs."

http://quotations.about.com/od/georgecarlin/a/carlin1.htm

This piece-- from Internet scam site "About.com"-- proves once and for all how unfunny George Carlin is.  *These* are the funniest things he ever said?  Not a single one of these statements is even remotely amusing.  Frankly, this is surprising.

Take any second rate comedian, and compile the funniest things he's ever said, and quite a number of those quips and japes will be very funny.  Not to mention the huge list of witty sayings you can compile from people like Tom Stoppard--- who aren't even comedians.

But Carlin?  Apparently, not a chuckler in his whole career.  His success must be based on his facial expressions and gravelly voice. 

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Wacky George Carlin Is a Barrel of Laughs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
I'm finding the little write-up paragraphs that start off these About comedy quotation articles kinda fascinating.  Wacky George Carlin's page warns us to: "Get prepared for a round of laughs as wacky George Carlin takes you through an uninterrupted journey of laughter."

"Rodney Dangerfield had captured the minds of his audience with his ribald, in-your-face humor." This is the first line of the Rodney Dangerfield Comedy Quotes article, but it would also be a good final line for an Orwell novel.

The entry for Dane Cook tackles some of the controversy surrounding him and has a bit of a hostile tone, but it does grudgingly admit that "His comments and ideas are a huge hit with the young generation."

The Cute Famous Funny Quotes page also has some interesting thoughts on the "humor gene", people falling into the "state of funny drunken madness" and appears to be an invaluable resource in finally telling the difference between amusing quotes, humorous quotes, witty quotes, funny quotes, really funny quotes and hilarious quotes.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:43:20 AM »
I'm finding the little write-up paragraphs that start off these About comedy quotation articles kinda fascinating.  Wacky George Carlin's page warns us to: "Get prepared for a round of laughs as wacky George Carlin takes you through an uninterrupted journey of laughter."

"Rodney Dangerfield had captured the minds of his audience with his ribald, in-your-face humor." This is the first line of the Rodney Dangerfield Comedy Quotes article, but it would also be a good final line for an Orwell novel.

The entry for Dane Cook tackles some of the controversy surrounding him and has a bit of a hostile tone, but it does grudgingly admit that "His comments and ideas are a huge hit with the young generation."

The Cute Famous Funny Quotes page also has some interesting thoughts on the "humor gene", people falling into the "state of funny drunken madness" and appears to be an invaluable resource in finally telling the difference between amusing quotes, humorous quotes, witty quotes, funny quotes, really funny quotes and hilarious quotes.

Wes, can you just list a bunch of those About intros and them comment on them a little bit?  Thanks.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:33:35 AM »
Yeah, these things read more like faux-Nietzshean aphorisms than jokes.

http://quotations.about.com/od/georgecarlin/a/carlin8.htm

Actually, doesn't get much more Nietzschean than this one:

"I'm not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »

Wes, can you just list a bunch of those About intros and them comment on them a little bit?  Thanks.

Second - I laughed a good bit at the Dangerfield-Orwell thing.  If Wes isn't already a comedy writer - and I have my suspicions about this - he can submit that one with his cv.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
I can't imagine why anyone would read reviews of comedians in any seriousness... humor is so subjective! And reviewers are notoriously bad writers.
from the land of pleasant living

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »
I frowned on this thread until I found out that its from Nov. 2007. Carry on.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
Oh jesus. I didn't even realize that.

Woops.
from the land of pleasant living