Author Topic: The Movie Boy Reviews 'Juno'  (Read 14624 times)

TVD

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Movie Boy Reviews 'Juno'
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »
i saw this turd despite tom's warnings.  never again will i second guess the great mr. scharpling.
manintheceiling.com

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
i don't know. there were things i didn't like about it, but i still appreciate it as a lighthearted cute film.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:02:36 PM »
Do a lot of them want to be anchormen?  My father had a lot of students with that ambition--and he retired twenty years ago.

I would imagine that, if not for the Will Ferrell movie, most of my students would probably think "anchorman" was a nautical term.  Actually, we should pitch this thread as the next whoever-is-the-big-SNL-star-of-the-moment movie - a weirdo 19-year-old who wants to be a TV anchorperson.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Sarah

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
I used "anchormen" advisedly:  the students with that ambition were exclusively male (I don't know from what equivalent delusion the girls suffered).  They couldn't read, write, or speak clearly, but they were convinced their dreams would come true.  Because they wanted them to. 

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
Well, that certainly hasn't changed, this being America and all.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »
I used "anchormen" advisedly:  the students with that ambition were exclusively male (I don't know from what equivalent delusion the girls suffered).  They couldn't read, write, or speak clearly, but they were convinced their dreams would come true.  Because they wanted them to. 

"I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal."

-- Ron Burgundy

Dorvid Barnas

Movie Boy: Really?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »
Real

Daniel Radcliffe has no business being mentioned alongside such legends as Daniel Day Lewis and Denzel Whitaker.

Matt

• Space Champion!
Re: Movie Boy: Really?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »
Real

Daniel Radcliffe has no business being mentioned alongside such legends as Daniel Day Lewis and Denzel Whitaker.

Did you see his Top 10 of 2007? Bridge to Terabithia takes the top spot, trouncing other worthy entries Mr. Brooks (#10), The Invisible (#8) and Enchanted (#7).

I'll let others discover the joy of the Movie Boy's Top 10 of 2007 write-ups for themselves, but allow me to relate one choice quote: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a literal title that doesn't leave much room for interpretation, and that is why it was perfectly named." Huh?

Well, okay - one more: "A fascinating and thoroughly unsettling psychological exploration into the mind of a serial killer, Mr. Brooks could well be the smartest, most astute thriller of its kind in several years, ranking up there alongside 2003's Monster and 1999's The Talented Mr. Ripley." Ew, boy. Did he see the same Mr. Brooks that I saw? For that matter, did he see the same Monster that I saw?

And, because I'm a weak man, here's another - a strong contender for the Most Boring And Redundant Sentence Ever Written In The Name Of Film Criticism award: "No Country for Old Men was a brilliant potboiler, but what lingered long after was its searing exploration into the vulnerability of man."

Oh, Movie Boy, will you ever win?

It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »
Also - and this is just a pet peeve of mine - I hate it when film reviewers, when presenting their Top 10 lists of the year, include an "Honorable Mention" category that lists pretty much every other film released in that year. Needless to say, the Movie Boy is guilty of this charge.

What, you couldn't whittle it down to less than 25 movies? What is this, Mardi Gras?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
Yeah, what about that list of actors? He could've saved himself some time by doing this:

Best Actors
EVERYBODY

And Holy Moly, Denzel Whitaker...

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »
The Movie Boy and I agree on the year's worst film. I'm ashamed.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
Yeah, what about that list of actors? He could've saved himself some time by doing this:

Best Actors
EVERYBODY

And Holy Moly, Denzel Whitaker...

The Movie Boy sounds like he's from Newbridge
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »
Well, these guys liked it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPF7DdVrwI[/youtube]

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
I watched Juno tonight against Tom's admonitions, and I'm glad I did.  I tend to agree with Tom about most movies (yeah, I realize I'm obligated to do whatever he tells me to -- go ahead, excommunicate me, whatever) but didn't this time.  It greatly exceeded my (admittedly reduced) expectations.  So sue me.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »
I watched Juno tonight against Tom's admonitions, and I'm glad I did.  I tend to agree with Tom about most movies (yeah, I realize I'm obligated to do whatever he tells me to -- go ahead, excommunicate me, whatever) but didn't this time.  It greatly exceeded my (admittedly reduced) expectations.  So sue me.

You're officially kicked out of the Tombies.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.