Author Topic: Your Favorite Movies from the Year 2007  (Read 10303 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Your Favorite Movies from the Year 2007
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
I have no choice but to be a brat and say that I just saw There Will Be Blood at the only screen in NYC that's showing it.

Spoiler alert: It was really good.

DAMMIT! Why would I go see it now?!

kray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
I have no choice but to be a brat and say that I just saw There Will Be Blood at the only screen in NYC that's showing it.

Same here, except I saw it at Tom's favorite LA establishment, the Arclight.

i'm really hoping they bring it over to the vista theatre jan 4th.

Forrest

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 02:30:21 AM »

DAMMIT! Why would I go see it now?!

There's still plenty of stuff I didn't give away, and it should be showing in Knoxville by March 2009.

Save youself the trouble: I'm an asshole, I know.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »
Crimestick, don't bother with Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I love Sidney Lumet but I thought it was unwatchable.  I did like Margot at the Wedding, though, but not as much as The Squid and the Whale

I still have yet to see a lot of '07 movies, but my favorites included Ratalouie and No Country for Old MenLives of Others was one of the best movies I've seen in years.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »
Crimestick, don't bother with before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I love Sidney Lumet but I thought it was unwatchable.  I did like Margot at the Wedding, though, but not as much as the Squid and the Whale

A big problem I had with Margot is that it just felt like too much of a retread of what Squid was. Hell, Margot and her husband were both writers, just like Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels. Also, there was the whole masturbation-as-sign-of-emotional-turmoil aspect that the youngest son in Squid already personified to a tee. It just seemed to me that, as a writer, Baumbach just doesn't have that big a toolkit at his disposal. He's smart, but not smart enough; I mean, could there have been a situation more embarrassingly on-the-nose as the whole tree-climbing incident?

I should point out that I love The Squid and the Whale, however. I'm glad you liked the film, Jason, and maybe I'll get something more out of it should I ever see it again.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
They closed the video store by my house which I used to drop by on the way to work. Now, it's really out of my way to rent a movie so I'm stuck with dropping by the Redbox and seeing if they have decent new releases. Of course, they don't most of the time. But, in truth there weren't many movies that were released this year that I really wanted to see anyways.

There's a bunch of stuff in the theaters the past couple months that looks really good (most of it has been mentioned) but if I don't have time to drive 20 minutes to a decent rental place obviously I don't have time to go to the theater.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
I'll have to see No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood a couple more times before I can decide which one I liked more, but as of right now, both are firmly in my all-time top 10.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:26 AM »
Crimestick, don't bother with Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I love Sidney Lumet but I thought it was unwatchable.

I have a screener of it, so it won't be that much of a bother to see it. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
Crimestick, don't bother with Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I love Sidney Lumet but I thought it was unwatchable.

You might like it - some people whose opinions I respect thought it was pretty good.  But I walked out of it, maybe the second movie I've ever done that with.
I have a screener of it, so it won't be that much of a bother to see it. Thanks for the heads-up though.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »
I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead yesterday - first film of 2008! - and it won't be making my top ten of 2007. Not awful, not great.

Biggest complaint: the completely unnecessary broken timeline. Also: a bit annoyed by (SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH) the loose ends - I'm not a plot wrap-up fanatic, but c'mon guys. However: I am a Philip Seymour Hoffman completists, and he certainly made the film memorable.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »
I gotta say, i just saw No Country for Old Men a few days ago, and would give it a B+ at best.

great acting: yes. some great scenes: yes. do I need to watch it again: not anytime soon

Maybe I would have liked it better if I had be paying attention during the last Tommy Lee Jones "dream" monologue. What was he talking about? his dad and a horse?

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »
Yeah, I remember getting really bored during that part.

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »
1.  There Will Be Blood

And in no particular order:

Michael Clayton (most underrated movie of the year)
Eastern Promises
Knocked Up/Superbad
Bourne Supremacy
No Country for Old Men

I still have yet to see Ratatatatatouille, Diving Bell and Sweeney Todd. And I know it's not a movie but Id like to throw the final season of the sopranos up there as well.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »
And I know it's not a movie but Id like to throw the final season of the sopranos up there as well.

Agreed. I've never seen anything like those last few episodes. It was like the apocalypse.

Allow me to go on the record as saying that The Sopranos only got stronger as it went on. Downhill after Season 3? Shame on you, Omar. In my opinion, Season 3 was the weakest overall season of The Sopranos, while Season 6 is my favorite. You put Part One and Part Two of Season 6 together, you're looking at one of the great seasons of any show, ever. There's never been anything on TV that even approaches the atmosphere of those final nine episodes.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »
My vote for worst season of The Sopranos goes for season 2.  Im not sure if you're fan of The Wire but the last episode of season 4 was pretty emotionally wrenching.  Between losing the wire and the sopranos, Im going to have a pretty large hole in my heart in 08 and all the World According To Jim's in the world won't be able to fill it.