Author Topic: TheWireTheWire etc. Season 5  (Read 34782 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
TheWireTheWire etc. Season 5
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
Since everyone is going to be watching this at different times I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone wants to discuss it.  Also, even though it's going up a week early On Demand again I think we should avoid spoilers at least until the episodes air Sunday night. 

That said, I watched the first episode and I think Odin, Jesus and Santa Claus must have banded together to create the most immaculate hour of television I've ever seen (actually I had a few problems with it, so maybe it was more like Greg Oden, Jesus from THE BIG LEBOWSKI and Fred Claus banding together). 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: TheWireTheWire etc. Season 5
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
I liked it. I'll be interested to see where the newspaper angle takes the show. I don't want to be too specific in case folks are reading who haven't had a chance to watch.

I posted this elsewhere, but it can't hurt to have it here - The Baltimore Sun doesn't like the new season:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/custom/altoday/bal-al.wire30dec30,0,3409351.story

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »
It was like they packed an entire season of plot into one episode using some futuristic form of narrative winrar.  I'm really worried for about every character on here (except for Marlo of course).  Losing this and Sopranos in the same 12 month period is really making me a very unhappy boy.

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »
besides all that this season got off to a bang

I'm going to miss it when it closes up for good
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
Really? All that journalistic jargon was killing me (and I even understood some of it). Is this supposed to be a drama or a Fred Wiseman documentary (btw, a bunch of his movies just became available on dvd)? I wish David Simon would make up his mind.

Also, I think he's painted himself into a corner by trying to juggle too many story lines at once. He ends up tossin in dead weight scenes just to keep us up to date on all the characters. Did we really need two scenes of Bubbles moping around in his sister's basement? Wouldn't one have sufficed to let us know what was up with Bubs?
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:21:27 AM »
OK, so much for waiting.  :P

At first I was most apprehensive about seeing the "Major Crimes is being shut down" and "McNulty's a drunk asshole" plotlines AGAIN but then it occured to me I should really have more faith in where the former storyline is going by now, and that McNulty is probably finally headed for the all-time, uncomfortable-to-watch fall of falls. 

After one episode, the only thing I'm sure about concerning the newspaper storyline is that I'm going to love watching Clark Johnson throughout.  But that Baltimore Sun article and another article I read somewhere about Simon's relationship with his former boss (Lt. Marimou [sic] from season 4 was named after him) does have me worried about the amount of axe grinding to come. 

A couple other things:
- Steve Earle's version of the theme really blows
- I notice that the actors that play Clay Davis (yay) and Maury Levy (boo) are in the featured cast credits this year, so looks like we'll be seeing plenty of them. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 06:25:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm kinda curious to see where McNulty ends up but I'm also a bit scared for him. If we're making guesses as to possible plot developments, I'm thinking McNulty's going to try applying pressure to the bosses to get Major Crimes back on the murders by leaking a story to the newspaper, and I'm thinking it's going to end badly for him.

Yes, Steve Earle's version of the song kinda sucks. I hope we don't see too much of him this season. I've already heard plenty of warnings that the newsroom stuff is packed with Simon's non-actor buddies, so less in other areas of the show would be good.

I also noticed Frankie Faison is not listed in the opening credits anymore, so I guess we're going to see less of Burrell. I can't remember if the actors playing Namond and Randy were listed. I'll have to check when Ep. 2 airs.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
I can't remember if the actors playing Namond and Randy were listed.

They aren't, although Michael and Dukie are, of course.  Not sure if Bunny or Prez are supposed to be back either, although Cutty is in the season 5 trailer. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »

Not sure if Bunny or Prez are supposed to be back   

There's footage of Bunny with a goatee in one of those specials currently on HBO on Demand, and since he's never sported facial hair in the other seasons, I've gotta assume that means he'll appear at least once this season.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
After half a year, I finally figured out what show ya'll were talking about, but down here we call it "The Wahr"

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
Edit:  I posted this in the wrong Wire thread.  The game is rigged.

I just wanted to say that Season Five Episode Two was absolutely stunning.
That opening monologue hit me in the gut, and the rest of the episode did not let me recover.
A++

Love,
The Boy Who Cried The WireTheWireTheWire

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »
Did you scalp an advance dvd of the series, Dorvid, or does HBO pipe in episodes of The Wire earlier to the Baltimore/D.C. area?

Speaking of the "McNulty's a drunk asshole" theme, I've got to ask can any of these cops hold their liquor? Every time they drink they get sloppy. It's embarrassing to drunken cops everywhere.
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Speaking of the "McNulty's a drunk asshole" theme, I've got to ask can any of these cops hold their liquor? Every time they drink they get sloppy. It's embarrassing to drunken cops everywhere.

Have you tapped into a bottomless well of Wire complaints or something?  At this point I have no choice but to salute you... you're like Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, except with David Simon critiques instead of oil. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
What can I say, Chris L., the show continues to rub me the wrong way. Maybe because I have been hearing for so long how great it is. I think it's a good show, not a great one.
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
I meant the above as encouragment, by the way.