Author Topic: TheWireTheWire etc. Season 5  (Read 34786 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: TheWireTheWire etc. Season 5
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »
Have you tapped into a bottomless well of Wire complaints or something?  At this point I have no choice but to salute you... you're like Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, except with David Simon critiques instead of oil. 

There Will Be Crabcakes.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
just watched the season 5 premiere. it was an enjoyable hour of tv. I think the rest of the season may be enjoyable hours of tv as well.

for you eggheads, here's some discussion: David Simon and the Audacity of Despair

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »
for you eggheads, here's some discussion: David Simon and the Audacity of Despair

Make sure you find David Simon's response in the comments section.  Mike, you'll be pleased to note he quotes Camus in there!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
Wow. And he throws in Toynbee and Chomsky to boot! Color me impressed!
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »
"Hey guys, did I tell you the one about the copy machine yet?"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/SHhxZ4BWeBQ[/youtube]

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 06:21:22 AM »
Yeah, I remembered that Homicide episode as soon as they started into that routine. I think it's another of those things that really happened that Simon put in the Homicide book. It does seem a little less likely that someone in 2007 would be completely unfamiliar with a copy machine, but what do I know?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 07:18:22 AM »
It does seem a little less likely that someone in 2007 would be completely unfamiliar with a copy machine, but what do I know?

As a former copy shop owner, Stringer Bell must have rolled in his grave.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »
Also, I watched episode 2 last night.  So much for worrying about McNulty's storyline being more of the same. 

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
Yeah, I remembered that Homicide episode as soon as they started into that routine. I think it's another of those things that really happened that Simon put in the Homicide book. It does seem a little less likely that someone in 2007 would be completely unfamiliar with a copy machine, but what do I know?

Not for me
I met someone who didn't know what a ATM was before.

"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 10:04:28 PM »
Also, I watched episode 2 last night.  So much for worrying about McNulty's storyline being more of the same. 

Nooo kidding. I can't say I saw that coming.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 04:47:33 PM »
I gotta admit, the McNulty storyline could be good (although I question why he would pull that stunt right in front of Bunk except to set up Bunk's moral dilemma).
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 02:02:50 AM »
Stayed up late to watch episode 3.  We'll see how it settles in, but for now let's just say I'm warming up my Comic Book Guy impression.

On another note: Wow @ the continuity - the girl who spoke at Bubbles' meeting is the one who doesn't feel like making small talk while buying drugs from her car in Hamsterdam in season 3.   Apparently she was also tricking outside of Andre's store in season 4, which I don't remember as well.  The actress is Richard Price's daughter, so I guess it wasn't hard for them to remember her. 

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 02:33:58 AM »
The actress is Richard Price's daughter, so I guess it wasn't hard for them to remember her. 
Well I'm glad they gave her that monologue because she hit it out of the park, ectoplasm or not.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »
On another note: Wow @ the continuity - the girl who spoke at Bubbles' meeting is the one who doesn't feel like making small talk while buying drugs from her car in Hamsterdam in season 3.   Apparently she was also tricking outside of Andre's store in season 4, which I don't remember as well.  The actress is Richard Price's daughter, so I guess it wasn't hard for them to remember her. 

Another long-forgotten character that has reappeared this season - the homicide detective who McNulty wants to overhear his conversations about the red ribbon was, I believe, the guy who arrested D'Angelo Barksdale. He appeared in the very first episode of the series. After McNulty witnessed the security guard change her story in the courtroom, he went and found that guy and told him his case had just hit the wall.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 07:52:29 AM »

Another long-forgotten character that has reappeared this season - the homicide detective who McNulty wants to overhear his conversations about the red ribbon was, I believe, the guy who arrested D'Angelo Barksdale. He appeared in the very first episode of the series. After McNulty witnessed the security guard change her story in the courtroom, he went and found that guy and told him his case had just hit the wall.

I believe you are correct.  Nice catch.  Also nice to see Ray Cole return via his old file.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies