Author Topic: Today I am smoking my last pack of cigarettes  (Read 34764 times)

erika

• Space Champion!
Today I am smoking my last pack of cigarettes
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:17:01 PM »
I have smoked for 12 years, around 10-15 cigarettes a day. I'm not the sort of person who needs one as soon as I wake up in the morning, but I tend to smoke a lot more at night and in both social and stressful situations.

I'm going to try the Nicorette gum, as the patch scares me a little and I'm not sure I need it. I'm starting tomorrow morning. My boyfriend is quitting at the same time but he's using the patch. He's got a 1.5-2 pack a day habit. (That's right. You heard me...)

Any words from anyone who has quit before would be helpful.

:-\
from the land of pleasant living

Jason

Re: Today I am smoking my last pack of cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »
I gave up about 10 years ago. I used this -

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/n/nicorette/nicorette_inhalator_starter_pack.htm

which helped a lot but I credit my success with just making an absolute decision to stop. I had said so many times that I was going to stop, it was always my last pack or my last weekend, and in the back of mind I knew it wasn't going to happen. Its easy to fall into a trap where you reward yourself for not smoking by just having one and before you know it you're somking again.  In the end I stopped mid-pack.

So that's my real advice, you have to make an absolute firm decision in your mind.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »
I'm not a smoker, but I can start whenever I want.

(Good luck!)

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Thanks guys.

I got the lozenges instead of the gum.

I can do this...

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:00:22 PM »
Good luck, Erika!  I was up to about 25 American Spirits (a lot stronger than the Camel Lights I had switched from) a day when I quit in 1999.  I used the patch, but my success at quitting puts me in the statistical minority - a year or two later I met a public health grad student who was doing a study on it and told me that most people just rip the thing off and start smoking.  For me, it was a kind of aversion therapy - when I was around secondhand smoke I would get physically ill, so I had to change my habits.  I didn't resume drinking in earnest until Bloomberg banned smoking in bars, and I've never taken up smoking pot again, which has probably helped my relative career success.  My big test was last winter in Ljubljana, where everyone chainsmoked everywhere, and I wasn't tempted in the least. 

But anyway, Jason is right, if you want to quit you will.  I was the most compulsive smoker ever, and now I'm still compulsive but in other ways, including this board.  A couple of other details:

-I gained almost 80 pounds after I quit, but lost most of it (I'm still not as skinny as I was an never will be).  This isn't inevitable - I just developed a sweet tooth and indulged like crazy, telling myself that I deserved it because I was quitting smoking - this for like 5 years.  I'm more careful now.

-I had excellent, long, cinematic dreams while on the patch.

-I did the step-down thing and was a total dick every time I stepped down the nicotine dosage.  My temperament is pretty much what it appears to be on the boards (aside from the occasional stupid sidewalk rage freakout that anyone in the NY metro area is going to have now and then), and I almost got into a fistfight over nothing at a Beck concert at Radio City Music Hall.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Sarah

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »
I wish you all luck, erika.  Maybe you and especially your boyfriend will find some encouragement in me: I was up to two packs plus a day, sober--more, with alcohol (I could easily go through two packs during a night out)--and it's been three months for me (cold turkey). 

I have had relapses, though:  whenever I go to the bar, I smoke (four times so far).  If I could limit myself to indulging only when I'm boozing, I'd never stop (for that matter, if I smoked only ten cigarettes a day, I'd never stop).  But I know I can't trust myself, so I have to work harder to resist temptation when I'm out.  Still, my disinclination to leave my house means I'm barely smoking now, which is pretty damn good.

In other words, there is hope!  (Of course, just so I don't seem too Pollyannaish, I also quit in 1989 and started up again eleven years later.)

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
First of all: Good Luck No-Smoking-Erika!

I quit a few times for very short periods using patches and/or gums. What worked in the long run (4 years now) for me was going cold turkey and then constantly reminding myself that there's no reason to smoke. I analysed it using the purest logic I could. "I'm having a craving...if I live with it,  I may never have a craving again...if I give in and smoke, I'm just going to have another intense craving. After two weeks I had almost forgotten that I was a smoker at all.

Also, it's like Hopkins says: "What one man can do, another can do!"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
Erika,

You absolutely CAN DO this. You're a SUPERCALLER, baby! You can do ANYTHING.

When I was 16, I announced to my parents that if they did not both stop smoking, I would move out. They sort of laughed me off, then one day they came home from work, and my room was cleared out; I stored all of my stuff at my sister's house, and I went from friend's house to friend's house, sleeping here a night, there 2 nights. After 3 weeks of this, they had both quit, and I moved back in.

Hey Erika, put your boyfriend on the line.

dfk

congolia

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
First and foremost, good for you and your boyfriend.  Quitting together will be frustrating at first, but ultimately, it’s the best way to do it.

I quit a 10-year, pack-a-day (American Spirits) habit over a slow, two-year period.  I tried the patch at first, but it would make my heart race.

I cannot recommend the weaning approach either.  I was down to two cigarettes a day before I quit and my whole day began to revolve around having those two cigarettes.  If something interfered with those smokes --- I became an instant asshole.  I finally quit for good when I realized that my two a day was sneaking back up to four or five a day, after my wife and I bought a house (hooray stress!)

The only suggestion that anyone ever made to me that helped was to take lots of slow, deep breaths when you get that the little “itch” in your lungs (well, that’s what it felt like to me) telling you that you “need” to smoke. 

I also felt the need to keep a few cigarettes around in a hiding place.  I tended to stress about running out when I was a smoker and just knowing that they were available if I really needed them,  helped me stay calm ( I only cheated once, and it tasted so bad).

The rest, as Jason and Jason G said, is willpower.  You guys can do this.

Forrest

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
Who knew there were so many ex-smokers in the FOT? ???

Sarah

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
There may well be a lot more smokers and former smokers in your daily life than you realize, Forrest.  People are made to feel such shame for smoking these days, I have no doubt many surreptitiously indulge their habit on the sly and then brush, gargle, shower, and put on fresh clothes before proceeding to pass in the nonsmoking world.  My sister--an ex-doctor--has been doing that for years.

Funnily enough, if I lived someplace where people were violently antismoking, I'd be far more likely to hold on to the habit, out of sheer cussedness.  Thank god I live in Lubec where people are tolerant, so I don't fell obliged to smoke just to spite the self-righteous.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
GOOD LUCK ERIKA
STAY STRONG SUPERCALLER
(and Greg too)
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »
There may well be a lot more smokers Christians and former smokers Christians in your daily life than you realize, Forrest.  People are made to feel such shame for smoking being Christian these days, I have no doubt many surreptitiously indulge their habit on the sly and then brush smoke, gargle drink, shower blaspheme, and put on fresh clothes have indiscrminant sex with strangers before proceeding to pass in the nonsmoking non-Christian world. 

Fixed!

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »
Erika -

This might sound rough, but your SuperCaller status is contingent upon you sticking with this.

You are free to call every week and have people cheer you on. We're all behind you and we want you to stop smoking! You know it's the right thing to do, so do it for 2008!

Tom.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »
I will do it.

Thanks everybody!

:)