Author Topic: Today I am smoking my last pack of cigarettes  (Read 34761 times)

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: Today I am smoking my last pack of cigarettes
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
Erika,

You absolutely CAN DO this. You're a SUPERCALLER, baby! You can do ANYTHING.

When I was 16, I announced to my parents that if they did not both stop smoking, I would move out. They sort of laughed me off, then one day they came home from work, and my room was cleared out; I stored all of my stuff at my sister's house, and I went from friend's house to friend's house, sleeping here a night, there 2 nights. After 3 weeks of this, they had both quit, and I moved back in.

Hey Erika, put your boyfriend on the line.

dfk

Wow, very impressive DFK.  Supercaller!

Seriously, Erika, keep up the fight!!   Don't forget to splash cold water on your face whenever necessary.  We're behind you all the way. 

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
Oh, yeah, what one person can do, another can do.  Forgot to say that.

Sarah

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
I report that I had a relapse last night, as usual prompted by demon alcohol.  On the bright side, I feel quite sick because of it today--and, yes, I do know it's the cigarettes that are responsible--and my throat is killing me.  When I quit in 1989, what happened was that each time I backslid, I'd get sicker because of it, till finally I just couldn't touch the things anymore.  Though I would prefer never to smoke a cigarette again, I would settle happily for a repeat of this pattern this time around.  Since the circumstances that caused me to start smoking again after suffering no inclination to touch the things for eleven years are unlikely to recur, I could even hope that this quitting will be my last.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »
Hang in there Sarah!

On Monday night, after not having any form of nicotine all day, I got off work and did my regular errands. Once I got back to my apartment, I entered that time of day when I would sometimes have my first cig of the day. (I wasn't much of a smoker at work) I was also hungry and it's my most sleepy part of the day... all these things combined equalled a nic fit that came on like a tidal wave and made me act like a complete bitch for about an hour. It was like PMS x5.

Needless to say, I slapped a patch on my arm and I haven't taken one off.

But my endurance was tested last night at the deli counter when I had to stand behind a lady ordering all of her deli "paper thin" and requiring that the man serving her give her a sample of everything behind the counter. She only bought one thing, but lectured the man the entire time he was putting it together about how many pieces of tissue paper she wanted between each slice of her fucking cheese. I swear it took her 20 minutes to order some pepperjack.

Usually, at that time of day, I would have been flipping out about this. (It's a pet peeve cuz I worked in lots of deli's and bagel shops) But I didn't even feel the need for a cigarette -- nor did I want to rip the woman's head off with my teeth!

Yay patch!
from the land of pleasant living

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
you guys should just smoke a cigar to take the edge off.  give your lungs a break and let your jaw do some of the heavy lifting for once (cancer-wise, that is)
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
I was thinking of switching to a Hitchcock-style pipe.*

I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes popular with the bearded hipster boys sometime in the near future. A pipe revival.

*Not really.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes popular with the bearded hipster boys sometime in the near future. A pipe revival.

RTC tried to jumpstart the revival last March, and it gained no traction:

"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »

*Not really.

My roommate and I did this in college.  Like many of our affectations, it was fucking ridiculous, but at least it was original.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

John Junk

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

Beards and pipes are hot.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
I had a pipe in college. It tastes really good and the smell isn't bad either. Nobody really cared if I lit it up in their living room at parties.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 11:39:43 PM »
When I was living in NYC, and when in college, I knew a bunch of hipster people who smoked pipes. I think the revival happened.

I have no idea where those people are now, or if they're still smoking pipes. Maybe a second revival could happen. A new-wave of pipe fancy.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 07:18:21 AM »
Nobody really cared if I lit it up in their living room at parties.

That's what I tell myself about farting in business meetings! It's fun to believe things.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
Trying to stop my nephew Hector from smoking the pipe.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
It's fun to believe that I will feel better in a few weeks time.

Kids, don't smoke. Because in addition to the obvious health risks, quitting makes you want to kill people. Or cry. Or eat loads of fried food and chocolate.

Or all of the above.

>:(

Sarah

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
Ah, poor erika.  I hope you and Greg survive this ordeal.

It really will get better.  And, yeah, I know I'm not the best example, but I really can assure you of this.