Author Topic: Robert Pollard  (Read 14417 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Robert Pollard
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
The GBVDB lists a 7" version of "I Am A Scientist", so it's possible that is the version used for the video.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »
The GBVDB lists a 7" version of "I Am A Scientist", so it's possible that is the version used for the video.

The 7" version was re-recorded by Adny Shernoff from the Dictators. I remember it sounding very slightly different, but it's been a while since I listened...

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »

It's definitely not the 7" version, which is pretty hi-fi (in Bee Thousand-era GBV terms, anyway).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

John Junk

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
I'll bet  you dollars to donuts it's the Bee Thousand version either compressed for t.v., compressed for youtube, or slightly remixed for the single.  If anything I suppose it could be the I Am A Scientist single mix (sometimes singles are mixed slightly different than the album version I've found).  I'm almost positive it's not a different recording. Maybe you could just mess with the EQ on the album version and get a similar effect. 

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
he was like "Neil Young does FARM AID (said in Tom's angry word repetition tone).  Fuck Neil Young!  I'm not a FARMER!  Nobody's a farmer!!" 
I heard a Best Show once where Tom played "Auditorium" followed by "Motor Away" which made me feel cool because I made a mix tape a number of years ago with those two songs in the same progression.  Best song follow-up ever?  I think yes. 

[youtube]rN3gmKltn88[/youtube]
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »

Robert Pollard and Jon Wurster.

Richard_From_CHI

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »
He has an art book coming out soon.

thecramedog

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »
Does the track in this video version of "I Am a Scientist" exist on an EP?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9x6zckn18

I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. (iTunes)

It is definitely the Bee Thousand recording that Banks Tarver used for the video. 

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
i can't recommend the keene brothers BLUES AND BOOGIE SHOES enough, here's a taste

but it's "island of lost lucys" that might be the most heartbreaking song pollard has ever done

i've already ranted on how much i love EARTHQUAKE GLUE on here

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/15783-in-a-circle/

The new Bob Pollard album Lord of the Birdcage will be out sometime next week. Heres a song from it. Great stuff.

You can also get it off gbvdigital if you are so inclined

edit: huh. didnt realize this was in the dear tom section. either way, this song is worth a listen!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/15783-in-a-circle/

The new Bob Pollard album Lord of the Birdcage will be out sometime next week. Heres a song from it. Great stuff.

You can also get it off gbvdigital if you are so inclined

edit: huh. didnt realize this was in the dear tom section. either way, this song is worth a listen!

Since I pre-ordered this recording, I received it last week.  It's pretty good!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

sporkman

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
I think one of my favorite GBV albums is not really a GBV album.   "Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department", which is Pollard and Doug Gillard is absolutely amazing.  It's so good you'll be angry and sad that there are not more Pollard/Gillard albums (well, hell maybe there are, the discography is just too damn huge).

Robert Pollard With Doug Gillard - Larger Massachusetts

Now I will be listening to this album for the next two weeks.

As for live shows, I saw them at the Stone Pony for Universal Truths and Cycles.  It was truly amazing.  As for those that might complain about the "quality" of the live shows, I'm sure it varies due to the tremendous amount of alcohol ingested during most shows.  So it's probably a bit of a luck of the draw thing.  The one guitarist that I just call "Drunky" (Nate) was plastered, but the rest of the band was damn solid.  If I'd have missed that show I'd be a real chump. 

Also for an alternate sort of "Greatest Hits" take, grab their appearance on Austin City Limits.  It's bizarre.