Author Topic: Up and coming comedians  (Read 13639 times)

johnfgillson

Up and coming comedians
« on: July 12, 2006, 01:15:34 PM »
Anybody have any suggestions of comedians that we might not have heard?

I added "that we might not have heard" because everytime I ask someone about good comedians they obligatory answer is "Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, David Cross, Bill Hicks and Zach Gilifinakis". All pretty good, all pretty well-known. Are they the only good comedians out there? I refuse to believe that. But after watching some Last Comic Standing, maybe it's true....

nick

• Policemans heel
Re: Up and coming comedians
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:37:51 PM »
Eugene Mirman: He's got an absurdist style. He just put out a CD on subpop, so you can probably find sample tracks at subpop.com.

Demetri Martin: Probably going to be pretty huge soon. He has some sort of a cross promotional endorsement deal with Microsoft and Comedy Central. He's sorta like Steven Wright, except younger, hipper, and also he has hair.

Aziz Ansari: Another hip comedian. I heard he was shooting a pilot for MTV. His delivery reminds me of Mitch Hedberg, except faster and higher pitched. Like if you played a Mitch Hedberg record at the wrong speed. But some people disagree with that. And his jokes aren't really Mitch-like at all. But he's really good, especially considering that he's only about 23.

Andy Milonakis: He actually has his own sketch comedy show on MTV. He's going to be starring in a remake of Ferris Beuller's Day Off that will probably make his career. Also, I'm not sure if the deal has actually been signed yet, but he's supposed to be playing one of the two Michael Meyers roles in the next Halloween.

My favorite comic to see live is Paul F. Tompkins, but he's famous enough that you're likely to have heard of him. Same for Jim Gaffigan, Louis CK, Jimmy Pardo, Doug Benson and Andy Kindler.

Also, I live in Austin, and the best local comic by far is a guy named Brendon Walsh. I think he's started going on the road, and he's well worth seeing.

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:42:32 PM »
Andy Milonakis: He actually has his own sketch comedy show on MTV. He's going to be starring in a remake of Ferris Beuller's Day Off that will probably make his career. Also, I'm not sure if the deal has actually been signed yet, but he's supposed to be playing one of the two Michael Meyers roles in the next Halloween.

I'm uncertain if Andy Milonakis is unfunny because he's so creepy or unfunny simply because he's unfunny. Either way you slice it, he's not very funny. At all. We are not amused.

J W Buchanan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »
He's pretty funny in the trailer for Cannonball Run 3000, where he plays J.J.'s great-great-grandnephew, but I think the moustache is CGI.

bkopell

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 07:24:31 PM »
I'm a fan of Chelsea Peretti, who is a member of the female comedy troupe, Variety Shac.
"I'm desirous of a ride ... but not from Buttercup." -- Lady Wainsworth.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »
Mike Birbiglia http://www.birbigs.com/ is my new fav.

there's a cd/torrent of a show that Eugene Mirman hosted called "Invite them Up" that featured a bunch of great comedians that are new on the scene, like the above-mentioned Aziz Ansari, who is funny as all hell.

bkopell

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:11:58 AM »
Mike Birbiglia http://www.birbigs.com/ is my new fav.

there's a cd/torrent of a show that Eugene Mirman hosted called "Invite them Up" that featured a bunch of great comedians that are new on the scene, like the above-mentioned Aziz Ansari, who is funny as all hell.

AD Miles, who can currently be seen on Dog Bites Man, is also great.  His bit on the INVITE THEM UP 3-CD set is hilarious:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4191F9570DB18E33
"I'm desirous of a ride ... but not from Buttercup." -- Lady Wainsworth.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »
I like some of Todd Levin's stuff.

You can find some written stuff at
http://www.tremble.com/

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »
Already famous, still underrated:

Doug Stanhope

Yeah, he's humiliated himself in his TV work, but as a standup, he's smart, funny and generous. He could be the next Bill Hicks, if he'd hurry up and die.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

franks.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
Daniel Kitson is pretty funny. He did a show with Eugene Mirman, Aziz Ansari, and Todd Barry in New York recently.

http://www.danielkitson.com/

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 07:26:58 PM »
I don't think he qualifies as "up and coming" since I think he's a fairly established stand-up, but I recently discoverd a guy named Stewart Lee via the AST forum.  Here's a clip:

"Ang Lee, you've directed the Hulk film, you must be very excited and proud, but don't make me ang lee, you wouldn't like me when I'm ang lee."
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

johnfgillson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
Does anybody else agree with Doug Stanhope? I've never listened to or seen him because of the whole Man Show/Girls Gone Wild stuff. I just didn't think he would be good at all, or at least not my style. But, Bill Hicks is great. I was just surprised to see his name come up.

J W Buchanan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
Does anybody else agree with Doug Stanhope? I've never listened to or seen him because of the whole Man Show/Girls Gone Wild stuff. I just didn't think he would be good at all, or at least not my style. But, Bill Hicks is great. I was just surprised to see his name come up.
Whenever I tell someone that Doug Stanhope is funny, he has to go make a liar out of me with some horrible TV thing or a boobie-lady show. Proceed with extreme caution.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 07:16:38 PM »
When Stanhope played Chicago, he drew plenty of Maxim party-boys. A lot of them were horrified by his act - I've never seen a (good) comic get that number of walk-outs. On some level, I think he enjoys drawing in idiots and then alienating them. On another level, he'd probably take money with shit on it.

Try this, Hicks fans:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kllqs_SS-eM&mode=related&search=stanhope
"You said it. I didn't."

franks.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »
Orney Adams seemed so promising.