Author Topic: The Music Tapes - 2nd Imaginary Symphony for Cloudmaking (Self-Released/2002)  (Read 2683 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I am posting this because it is impossible to find online and was never truly released.  Julian Koster used to send out personalized CD-Rs of this album (for free) to people if they requested it.

The Music Tapes are a musical groupe involving a singing saw and one Julian Koster, who participated in other bands (NMH) and spends his time in a house surrounded on all sides by the sea.  They also have a first album released on Merge in 1999 called 1st Imaginary Symphony For Nomad.

2nd Imaginary Symphony for Cloudmaking, though, is a 65 minute Music Tapes story album on the subject of the factory that harbors secrets of widgets and clouds, as well as the child-boy, Nigh, that sees it.  I like it very, very much.  The first album is also great.

Click the image to download and let me know what you think.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
Music Tapes played at my friend's farm years ago.  It was really unforgettable.  He has a video of the performance, and of a guy named Eight Track Gorilla, who was touring with them.  You guessed it, he sang karaoke over 8 track tapes while wearing a gorilla suit.  I also remember banging on a metal dust pan as part of some audience participation, a Santa Claus lawn ornament microphone holder, Betty Boop movie reels, and all sorts of wonderful weirdness.   come to think of it, I have a picture of a Julian playing the saw while a horse scratches it's butt on a metal gate.

Anyway, this brought back some great memories, so thank you for passing this along, NU!