Author Topic: The Radio Odyssey of Ronald Fuqua  (Read 21390 times)

myrna loy

Re: The Radio Odyssey of Ronald Fuqua
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
I had the chance to speak very briefly with Misters Scharpling and Wurster at the LA show. I mentioned that Hot Rockin' Ronnie was my favorite character - Jon said they had liked him, too, but there was just no place for him on the box set. Tom said they wouldn't have been able to get the music rights, either.

I understand that, and Omar and I had discussed that at the time they were putting the set together. I also know that they kind of felt the character had run his course, and there's some truth to that - how much lower is there to go than Urinal Cake Cradle repair? So my guess is that future mentions of HRR will continue to be as a remote nemesis for Tom. He seems to do better in his career that way, anyway.

I don't know, HRR has been pretty resourceful throughout his all-star career.  I'm sure if he wanted to snake his way into the new show in some form, he could.  He's like Tom's original stalker so I can see him checking in on Tom no matter where Tom is just to rub something in about his or Tom's career.

JRSly

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
I don't know, HRR has been pretty resourceful throughout his all-star career.  I'm sure if he wanted to snake his way into the new show in some form, he could.  He's like Tom's original stalker so I can see him checking in on Tom no matter where Tom is just to rub something in about his or Tom's career.
On that thought, they should bring back Todd Billups.

myrna loy

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »

Todd has the creepiest laugh ever

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »

Todd's first call, which was the first ever JW call to The Best Show on WFMU, was at one time a strong contender for the box, but it didn't make the cut.  The first three Billups calls were considered. #2 was plagued by very low volume on JW's end. The 2nd call is the debut of the transparent pants that display the buttocks and heat up with friction. The problem with Billups was the calls worked best as a trio or at least a duo to see the insane Tom worship build a bit, and there was certainly not room for a double- or triple-dose of Todd.

The third Billups call on 12/26/00 is probably the best -- it includes the first-ever fudge reference and first murder threat. "My fudge is telling you to kill me." In this call, Todd reveals he is making transparent pants for Tom. He has also launched a fansite in which Tom's head is placed on the bodies of "all kinds of boys and girls."  Todd discusses a New Year’s Eve retreat into the deep woods complete with rhinestone mask for Tom.

Would have been interesting to have Billups be the first character to call the relaunched Best Show in December '14.  I can only imagine the kinds of pants/masks/etc. Todd would want Tom to wear at this point ...
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

myrna loy

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »

Todd's first call, which was the first ever JW call to The Best Show on WFMU, was at one time a strong contender for the box, but it didn't make the cut.  The first three Billups calls were considered. #2 was plagued by very low volume on JW's end. The 2nd call is the debut of the transparent pants that display the buttocks and heat up with friction. The problem with Billups was the calls worked best as a trio or at least a duo to see the insane Tom worship build a bit, and there was certainly not room for a double- or triple-dose of Todd.

The third Billups call on 12/26/00 is probably the best -- it includes the first-ever fudge reference and first murder threat. "My fudge is telling you to kill me." In this call, Todd reveals he is making transparent pants for Tom. He has also launched a fansite in which Tom's head is placed on the bodies of "all kinds of boys and girls."  Todd discusses a New Year’s Eve retreat into the deep woods complete with rhinestone mask for Tom.

Would have been interesting to have Billups be the first character to call the relaunched Best Show in December '14.  I can only imagine the kinds of pants/masks/etc. Todd would want Tom to wear at this point ...

I wonder if the clear-able calls that didn't make it to the box could end up as a Best Show history podcast of sorts. 

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
All sorts of things told people to kill Tom in the early days: fudge, basketballs, shoes. The callers quit listening to inanimate objects so much as the show went on.

I think my favorite threat ever was from the Drunk Driver: "Get ready for the crane and the ice. Dress warm!"

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 11:06:18 PM »
These are my favorite calls of all time.

I frequent a flea market that I'm pretty positive is mixed by Hot Marchin' Ronnie. He must have gotten syndicated.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 05:32:38 AM »
Indomitable spirit + Extraordinary arrogance + Total hypocrisy = Comedy gold
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!