Author Topic: WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO GAME TIME.  (Read 27296 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO GAME TIME.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:18 AM »
If every show on WFMU raised 40k in a 3 hour period, the station would make almost 4.5 million in two weeks.  In United States of American money, which is worth *slightly* more than Australian money.

The Best Show isn't just a tentpole show.  It's like a mighty sequoia with a dirty t-shirt stuck in its branches.  The shirt is the rest of the shows.  The Best Show is to the station what Ohio and Texas are to Hillary.  WFMU, however noble its intentions, without the Best Show is like the League of Nations was without the United States.  The money that the Société Générale guy was playing with is petty cash to the Best Show.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 06:36:12 AM »
Does anyone know how much the soaking of Andy Breckman was?

I looked at the SSD playlist and it was speculated to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7K. And that's before he threw in the extra $1000 so that Ken would be the one to get tasered.

There were some questions in the chat Tuesday night...is 40K a single-show record for FMU? I understand why they don't publicize how much each show pulls in, but I am a bit curious. I only listen to a few shows on FMU so I don't know what shows are most popular (and therefore most likely to pull the biggest pledges).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
Probably Best Show, Glen Jones, then SSD, I am thinking

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
Does anyone know how much the soaking of Andy Breckman was?

I looked at the SSD playlist and it was speculated to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7K. And that's before he threw in the extra $1000 so that Ken would be the one to get tasered.

There were some questions in the chat Tuesday night...is 40K a single-show record for FMU? I understand why they don't publicize how much each show pulls in, but I am a bit curious. I only listen to a few shows on FMU so I don't know what shows are most popular (and therefore most likely to pull the biggest pledges).

Yeah, in the chat I was wondering if there's any show that's like known for bringing in the big bucks - maybe one with lots of celebrity/rich people supporters, that kind of thing. The Best Show has everything it takes to be a frontrunner, but I was thinking that maybe there's some show that's been around for ages, with a lot of rock star fans or whatever.

(I think it's time for a certain Mr. C O'Brien to put his money where his mouth is - if he's such a fan of S&W he should poney up at least a couple of Y3K's...)

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »
they always talk about how much JM in the AM brings in, too.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 09:13:09 AM »
As I said in the chat, I'm pretty sure JM in the AM brings in the most, then Glen Jones, then Tom.  SSD doesn't bring in as much as it used to, and it's handicapped by being only an hour.

I wish I could have given $1000 to SSD last night.  I would have had Andy use my mother's name in an episode of Monk.  She's a big fan (just the age group for it).

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
Tasered?!?!

Sarah

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »
Forty-five volts.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

zzesp

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
I'm a nyc taxicab driver. Tuesday  and thursday I'm donating my tip money to the best show!!! i've put up a sign in the back of the cab about wfmu and the marathon. my hack # is 5106789 if you get in my cab during the marathon- mention you saw this post and i will donate the full fare you pay to the station.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
I'm a nyc taxicab driver. Tuesday  and thursday I'm donating my tip money to the best show!!! i've put up a sign in the back of the cab about wfmu and the marathon. my hack # is 5106789 if you get in my cab during the marathon- mention you saw this post and i will donate the full fare you pay to the station.

that's a great idea zzesp. way to go above and beyond!

One of these tuesday nights, you should do a remote with Tom riding shotgun in your cab. that'd be some great radio.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »
Awesome, zzesp.  Do you have any good stories of fares being mystified by or cracking up at Best Show zaniness?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Sarah

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »
Are you the cab driver who has called the show?

Laurie

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
GOOD NEWS: Doddy has agreed to donate $400 in lieu of giving me a gift certificate to Amazon or something. From $250 to $400 in 24 hours! Wow! I'll see if I can squeeze another $100 out of him.

:-* :-* :-*

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
Get ready people! I will be putting my personal copy of Stroszek on the chopping block next Tuesday! Now you, too, can laugh until you cry if you pledge to WFMU!
See God, Kai