Author Topic: WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO GAME TIME.  (Read 27311 times)

Sarah

Re: WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO GAME TIME.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
I'm not saying you should donate now, but Bryce and Fabio are really great together.  Bryce is especially funny.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »
GOOD NEWS: Doddy has agreed to donate $400 in lieu of giving me a gift certificate to Amazon or something. From $250 to $400 in 24 hours! Wow! I'll see if I can squeeze another $100 out of him.

:-* :-* :-*

CURSES! Laurie and her Doddy have knocked my pledge out of the water! How can I compete with that dynasty?

Jason

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
GOOD NEWS: Doddy has agreed to donate $400 in lieu of giving me a gift certificate to Amazon or something. From $250 to $400 in 24 hours! Wow! I'll see if I can squeeze another $100 out of him.

:-* :-* :-*

CURSES! Laurie and her Doddy have knocked my pledge out of the water! How can I compete with that dynasty?

Lavish your daughter with money instead of affection.

Laurie

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
Blums aren't so good at displays of affection.  :'(

Sarah

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »
Shit, I'd be grateful for the bucks.  Some of us get neither.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
Hey does anyone know if I can pledge specifically to the show after the fact online? I've never pledged online before, not really sure how that works.

I swear I have a really good excuse for not calling in!

John Junk

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
You can just donate and then ask for the Tom Fun Pack (if it's over $75) but I don't know if that "counts" as being part of the show's pull. 

Isn't Bill Kelly really popular too, or does he still have a show?  I don't even know!

There was a while when Glen Jones was top dog in terms of fundraising, but I'm wondering if possibly he's been surpassed by Tommy Tornado(??).  I guess it doesn't matter.  I don't wanna start a turf war here!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »
Hey does anyone know if I can pledge specifically to the show after the fact online? I've never pledged online before, not really sure how that works.

when i pledged online, i put comments with my pledge and hatch read it with my name and pledge amount.
chances are, if you comment with your intentions, it will be noted?

Sarah

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
You can just donate and then ask for the Tom Fun Pack (if it's over $75) but I don't know if that "counts" as being part of the show's pull. 

It does:  "Your individual DJ Premium choices will also result in that DJ's program being credited with part of your overall pledge" ("WFMU 50th Anniversary 2008 Marathon" mailer).

Isn't Bill Kelly really popular too, or does he still have a show?  I don't even know!

He does indeed, and, on SSD yesterday, Ken said he is still very popular.

There was a while when Glen Jones was top dog in terms of fundraising, but I'm wondering if possibly he's been surpassed by Tommy Tornado(??). 

I'm pretty sure Glen Jones beat the Kid last year.  This year?  Who knows?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

I've never heard the Glen Jones show before and the show's page on the WFMU site doesn't really give much info as to what it's about. So what's the deal? Why is it so popular? Is it primarily a music show?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »
I heard that Dave Emory raised $55k.  Pretty impressive for a 1 hour show.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Jason

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

Why not pledge online during the show?

Actually, if anyone wants to pledge to Tom's show and can't do it during show time, PM me and I will manually enter your details for you this tuesday as if you phoned in.

John Junk

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

I've never heard the Glen Jones show before and the show's page on the WFMU site doesn't really give much info as to what it's about. So what's the deal? Why is it so popular? Is it primarily a music show?

I haven't listened in years, but as I recall it it's like a lot of mainstream rock, some punk, and then somewhat marginal but not totally-mainstream stuff like Rufus Wainright, Tom Waits, etc. but there's also a lot of talk with Glen Jones and his co-host X-Ray burns.  X-Ray is like Mr. Ultimate Blue Collar Jersey and he's hilarious. Glen Jones holds it down and runs things and acts as the straight man and X-Ray is like an Insane-Clown-Posse-obsessed middle-aged punk guy and they both drink a lot of beer and smoke and they're enormously popular with WFMU regulars and a whole demographic that might not necessarily be tuning in to hear scratchy record music or someone gargle milk through Sousaphone or whatever else is on fmu.  It's a similar format to TBSOWFMU, but the vibe is more morning-zoo-ish, but sort of in a good way.

Also, yeah, Bill Kelly is like a legend in New York rock circles as far as I understand.

Sarah

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »
MoS, JJ has pretty much covered it all, so I'll just say Glen Jones and esp. X-Ray Burns are very funny indeed.  The music is all utterly familiar and mainstream--there's not even a playlist because it's all so hackneyed--but the talk is grand.  You may disagree from time to time, but so what?  It's entertaining and frequently hilarious.  You should check it out.  (And, by the way, Glen Jones has quit smoking.  But not X-Ray.) 

bruce

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »
I gave to my Neil Young bootleg trading pal Joe Belock trying to stir up trouble between him and Todd-o-phonic Todd. Listen to the first half hour you'll hear it.