Author Topic: 18 Wheeler Book?  (Read 12113 times)

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
18 Wheeler Book?
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
If you want to get something on the shelves, this might be a nice way to prime the pump for your future literary carreer.

A best of 18 Wheeler compilation book? Has this been suggested before? Probably.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: 18 Wheeler Book?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
I'd buy this.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
Trust me, things like that are better off in the past. You're not missing anything - just four issues of a generic fanzine that could be mildly funny on occasion. Someday I'll scan some highlights and post them.

I will also step it up with my Actual Blog, which features writing about things that I'm interested in now. And trust me - I might not be that smart these days, but I'm brilliant compared to how I was back then.

Tom.

<<<<<

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:33:24 AM »
And trust me - I might not be that smart these days, but I'm brilliant compared to how I was back then.

Hoo boy, can I relate to that sentiment.

jane

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
It was also a record label, wasn't it?  An 18 wheeler band opened for a band I was in, in the mid 90's, and I had the pleasure of having breakfast with the cassettey Callaci brothers.
Maaaaaaaajor braggin' going on here. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
I miss zines.  People put a lot of work into them.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
I think a "Forgotten History of Rock" book would be one of the best things ever.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

<<<<<

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »
I miss zines.  People put a lot of work into them.

I had an itch to make one for quite awhile, but never actually took the leap because I knew I'd do two or three of them, only a handful of people would see/read it and then I'd lose interest or run out of ideas.

Which I guess was a pretty realistic outlook of what would have happened.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »
In the 90s I went as far as to solicit material for a planned zine which was to be called "The Modern Almanack of Limericks and Practical Wisdom."  But I never actually made the thing.

I think that the Internet has been much more democratizing and has in a lot of ways fulfilled the promise of zines.  But the barriers to entry are almost /too/ low.  I think people were a little more creative when what they were making was a magazine, and not just a blog or whatever.  If not in the actual writing (although the average BoingBoing zine was way more interesting than the random links of today's website), then at least in the design and presentation. 

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
I have a zine,  they're not that hard to make. It's pretty inexpensive, and it can be fun too.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
It's funny - recently I found my old 18 Wheeler zines, and they're not nearly as "generic" as Tom makes them sound.  You can definitely see the influence of Conflict, Forced Exposure and other period publications, but as early as issue #1 he's already toying with aliases and printing a Stewart Brodian dartboard (while graciously offering him a column next issue).  Issue #2 features the Embarrassment, of course an enduring fascination.  By issue #4 and the Dave Rick Celebrity Roast, you're definitely seeing Tom develop his own voice and sense of humor.  In short: a solid publication, one that I frequently underrated at the time.

The real missing link, however, is the Superchunk Gazette.  It might as well have been written by Linus, the Award-Winning Blogger; it's exactly the kind of humor and situation that fuels the Tom/Jon calls.  And let's not forget who Superchunk's drummer was...

But I can definitely relate to Tom's reticence to make the past public.  I sure wouldn't want people to see back issues of the zine I did in the '80s and very early '90s outside of a few interviews here and there.  I'm not much of a music critic now, but I'm Lester Bangs Reincarnated compared to virtually every WB back issue.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
I would, however, gladly buy an 18 Wheeler Records retrospective compilation.

noise.light

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
I would, however, gladly buy an 18 Wheeler Records retrospective compilation.

Seconded.

hatedeverysong

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
hello my name is carlos i am doing tons of research for a book we are doing about the diy cassette culture mainly on shrimper,car in car ,sonic enemy ect. i know some of these bands did put out stuff on ewr so if anyone has old fan zines tapes or any info on that it would rule i dont wont to leave any stone unturned .
 oh and i do have a bunch of ewr so if someone is looking for anything please let me know .
carlos

hatedeverysong@freakscene.net