Author Topic: Bob and Ray  (Read 9986 times)

pmart

• Policemans heel
Re: Bob and Ray
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »
Funny, Pop Matters just ran (yesterday) a pretty good article on the history and cultural context of Bob and Ray:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/55398/bob-ray-the-two-and-only/

-p-

Sarah

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 06:20:02 PM »
I just found this site that offers a lot of Bob and Ray downloads.

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 11:18:47 PM »

Sarah

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
What a treasure trove, Man Machine!  I'm going to download 'em all and burn two sets of CDs, one for me and one for my mummy.

Sarah

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »
I'm into my six or seventh hour of Bob and Ray.  Wonderful.  I'm posting, though, because I just started listening to a bit where Wally Ballou is interviewing a guy who hangs around a department store dressed like an official floor walker and spends his time misdirecting people.  So much like something that could be on the show, right down to the maniacal laughter of the perpetrator.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
Thanks everybody for these links.  I've listened to far fewer hours than Sarah, but I have heard quite a bit of this audio, and it's fun.  It's great to discover comedy antecedents from my parents' or grandparents' time when it doesn't suck.  Bob and Ray's material doesn't suck.  I'm having fun.

Sarah

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »
Aren't they great, Fido?  I'm having so much fun.  Only 197 shows to go, plus the rest of the contents of that other voluminous archive.

(Have you come across the title of the Fathers' Day song yet?  "You May Be a Jerk, but to Me You're My Old Man."  I've got to remember that come June.)

Mainiac FOT

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
Sarah, that bogus storewalker bit is one of their best. I think my absolute fav is a rather subtle piece that's an interview with a man who tests fingernail clippers, and you hear him slowly count off as he clips the nails on one hand "that's one...two...three...four...five...and, six."

Sarah

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »
I also like that in the various interviews with product testers, when the tester fails somehow, the interviewer invariably asks whether that particular item will tossed.  The kazoo interview is an example.

And I love, love, love Ray's irritable women.

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
One of my favorite bits is the "One Fella's Family" series. It's worth the search.

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
A very irritable woman indeed in that bit.  And no wonder--those rose bushes constantly getting pruned down the ground.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
I listened to a bunch of episodes today. Top quality comedy!

There's a short bit about a wrist-watch owner towards the end of 1973.03.16 episode that was so funny I had to listen to it over and over again. I can easily imagine a JW character saying "Well, the ticking is not really supposed to provide entertainment."

http://www.archive.org/download/otr_bobandray/bray.1973.03.16_WOR.mp3
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Fig Neutron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »
Awesome thread, guys!  I found very little on YouTube, but now I got some stuff to sink my fangs into!
Fresh fruit enriches everyone.  Takes the thirst out of everyday time.  A pure whiff of oxygen, painting over a monochrome world in primary colors.  We all know that.  It's why everyone loves fruit.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »
Awesome thread, guys!  I found very little on YouTube, but now I got some stuff to sink my fangs into!

agreed! between all the bob and ray, 'just a minute' and best show podcasts and rips, i have enough comedy to keep me sane at my mind numbing job for at least the next five years.

benadian

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
That's so crazy!  My mom/grandparents turned me on to Bob & Ray years ago and I'd listen to them on cassette every night... for some reason I never really made a strong connection between them and Scharpling & Wurster.  I've also heard they were a huge influence on Bob Odenkirk.

I also enjoy it when they present "classic literature" in radio play form, and it always ends up being the same scene of a sea captain continually getting pissed off at his first mate and punching him.  "Whyyyyy youuuuu...."