Author Topic: Disputing the "L"  (Read 3992 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Disputing the "L"
« on: October 08, 2006, 11:34:39 PM »
If I had my druthers (which I do not), the "Win" and "Loss" grading structure would be done away with. There would only be "Win" "Shut Out" and "Perfect Game".  Even the most uneven installments of TBSOWFMU rout everything else on the airwaves. 

I was surprised when Tom declared last week's show an "L". I had been laughing uncontrollably through most of the night (starting from when Tom told me to challenge Weird Al to a "weird-off"). Tanks used as mobile weed pipes, Cramer callers ululating nonsensically ("BOO YIYIYIYIYIYI"), August falling asleep mid-call, Atlantic city explosions.  If that counts as an "L", then my sense of humor has thrown a rod.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Jason

Re: Disputing the "L"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 06:12:16 AM »
I have to agree.
The P.C. Richards' hold music was one of the funniest things ever.

Richard_From_CHI

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
I have to agree, the W and L system seems unjust and inaccurate, it makes me go into listening to a podcast with a bad attitude if it has already been declared an L.

But, it's Tom's party and he can cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, you might cry to if hosting a show that was floundering due to listeless callers happened to you. (da da dada-da da)

TheRockWentToMyHighSchool

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:46:49 PM »
Indeed!  Last week was a no hit-no run shut out.  I was actually on my way to Atlantic City while listening to the podcast.  I couldn't wait to seek out the Star Wars slot machine. 

Bryce: "Hey, Broheem" - classic! (And it was all uphill from there)

However, I did kinda skip through the 'cartoon team' segment.  Just didn't pique my interest, I guess.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »
I think it's part of Tom's ongoing campaign to get the funny off the chat and back on the show. If the proliferation of "self-esteem" education in the '70s taught us anything, it's that without the threat of disappointment and embarassment, people don't work as hard. If he gets a good string of W's, he'll probably forget the whole conceit.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:33:48 PM »
I listened to the Bryce call again.  Genius!  Nixon founded High Times.

TheAce

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
No question this past week was a W.
I could listen to the PC Richards segment over and over!
In fact, Im calling them right now.

Matt

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
I don't want to do away with the "L"s. However, I feel that they should be used WAY less often, like for shows when Tom plays music off of Agatha. That PC Richard music was genius that must be shared with my friends. Last show was a "W".

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:13:39 PM »
TOM'S version of the PC Richards (whatever that is) music was the best!

"slide a microwave into a box, claim I'm bringing it back, box with a false bottom..."
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

rabbit

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
last weeks show was terrific!  it was a W Tom!

Forest

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:21:23 PM »
yeah i laughed constantly from last weeks show.  and this weeks show had so much wurster i almost could not handle it.

Ynyr

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:21:27 PM »
Some shows are definitely an "L." 

If you'll recall "The Empire Strikes Back," the good guys didn't win.  Han Solo was taken by Boba Fett despite the best efforts of all the other players.  However, the next time around...you see!