Author Topic: Old time comedy that does hold up  (Read 7227 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Old time comedy that does hold up
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
I've been thinking about Tom's bashing of old time comedy.  I agree for the most part -- stuff like the Three Stooges is like the 1930s equivalent of Adam Sandler.  One nice thing about the weird transience of what people think is funny is that new comedy always feels revolutionary.

BUT:  Here are some old time laughs that I really do like.

(1) Marx Brothers
(2) P.G. Wodehouse
(3) Screwball comedies (His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, the Awful Truth, etc etc)
(4) Ambrose Bierce
(5) Mark Twain

and (6):  I like some old time things not because they are funny, but because they are just really strange to watch.  Buster Keaton (my avatar) stuff is like this.  Comedy that is no longer funny is weirdly alien.

Does anyone else have any old timey stuff that they think is funny?

DannyBoy

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Old time comedy that does hold up
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »
I agree, there are about seven quality Marx Brothers movies that are as good or better than anything that's come along since.

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
I think James Thurber is a riot.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »
I think Ring Lardner short stories can be pretty funny.

Mason

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
Most of the supporting comedy is cornball, but I liked the husband and wife interactions of the Thin Man movies. Most old timey movies portray marriage as a humorless inevitability of life. Here it seems like fun.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
I think the plays of George S. Kauffman hold up pretty well. He's was from around the depression -- a Dorothy Parker contemporary.

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:44:52 PM »
Old-timey things I find funny:

a lot of the so-called screwball comedies (Bringing Up Baby, It Happened One Night, etc.) 

the plays of George Bernard Shaw and some of the movie versions thereof (Pygmalion and Major Barbara spring to mind)

the plays of Oscar Wilde, especially, of course, The Importance of Being Earnest (and the original movie version of it)

Boulting Brothers and Ealing Brothers comedies (not all of them, but a lot of them)

W. C. Fields in small doses

I know there's more, but my brain has gone blank.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »
Most of mine have already been mentioned:

WC Fields short films
Marx Brothers
Laurel & Hardy's The Music Box
Buster Keaton
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »
laurel and hardy (watched just about every one of their flicks with my pop as a boy and they still make me chuckle)

the three stooges (i never, ever get tired of grabbing a cup of coffee on a sunday morn and watching moe, larry, and _______ bumble through whatever task is at hand.)

abbott and costello (for who's on third alone - never mind the genius that ensued when they teamed up with a morphine-happy bela lugosi and a stinkin' drunk lon chaney jr.)

do the old warner brothers cartoons count?

TremblingEagle

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Marx Bros. without doubt
The Unfunny Truth about Scientology
http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

Spoony

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
I think it's time to say that Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes qualify as Olde Time Comedee. Seriously, they are 50+ years old by now. But the great thing about them is how well they've aged. Wyle E. Coyote and the Roadrunner are as funny to a 10 yr old now as they were to my father when he was 10. 

It's universally humorous, and the amount of detail and love that went into the animation made it funny in it's own right.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
Yeah, Pepe Le Pew cartoons are funny in a totally manic way.  And what's weird is that, for all their stereotyping, by today's standards those are practically educational films about French cultural life.

Spoony

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Yeah, Pepe Le Pew cartoons are funny in a totally manic way.  And what's weird is that, for all their stereotyping, by today's standards those are practically educational films about French cultural life.

Or a Cautionary Tale about puberty.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

or sexual predators. dude was a total perv..

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »

or sexual predators. dude was a total perv..

Don't you mean "prev"?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.