Author Topic: Old time comedy that does hold up  (Read 7228 times)

Laurie

Re: Old time comedy that does hold up
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »
The Women has always been a favorite of mine.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:42:19 AM »
I still find "A Confederacy of Dunces" funny. Is that old time?

It seems that old cartoons are "in-bounds", so I would also like to throw Foghorn Leghorn out there.  I showed it to my daughter a while back, and she asked me, "Who's the good guy?" I thought, "Oh my God, the child is right! This is like a Neil Labute play!"  Everyone in the whole fucking thing is miserable...from the dog to the chickenhawk to Foghorn himself.

I never cease to laugh when Foghorn sees the pointdexter chicken putting together a Rube-Goldberg contraption for hurling a pumpkin, tells the chicken he's doing it wrong, and fixes the contraption for him. Shortly thereafter, Foghorn gets a look of confusion on his face. He turns back to ask the chicken why he's hurling a pumpkin, but before Foghorn can get the question out (as we all know, he stammers), a pumpkin slams him in the face.  OBJECTIVELY FUNNY!

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 01:21:53 AM »
I pretty much agree with everything mentioned so far, and would add Moss Hart, who co-wrote a lot of George S. Kaufman's stuff.  Occasionally some of those Algonquin Round Table zingers will also make me chuckle, though they're mostly witty rather than funny.

I'm probably opening myself up to ridicule here, but Plautus, the ancient Roman comedy writer, is actually still funny, and in fact most of the gags in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum are lifted from it whole.  Old Italian comedies (including those by Machiavelli) are still pretty funny if they're staged right - ditto with Shakespeare - though that's rare.  I have to say, though, that the comic relief in serious Shakespeare (think Falstaff) is usually funnier than the straight-up comedies.

While I'm giving a theater history lesson here, I have yet to encounter a funny Noel Coward play, and Aristophanes (credited with writing the first recorded comedy) makes zero fucking sense to me.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

God Stewart

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:33:41 AM »
I don't know if this old-timey enough but I think Jack Lemon is hilarious in Some Like It Hot.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 08:46:57 AM »
I pretty much agree with everything mentioned so far, and would add Moss Hart, who co-wrote a lot of George S. Kaufman's stuff.  Occasionally some of those Algonquin Round Table zingers will also make me chuckle, though they're mostly witty rather than funny.

I'm probably opening myself up to ridicule here, but Plautus, the ancient Roman comedy writer, is actually still funny, and in fact most of the gags in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum are lifted from it whole.  Old Italian comedies (including those by Machiavelli) are still pretty funny if they're staged right - ditto with Shakespeare - though that's rare.  I have to say, though, that the comic relief in serious Shakespeare (think Falstaff) is usually funnier than the straight-up comedies.

While I'm giving a theater history lesson here, I have yet to encounter a funny Noel Coward play, and Aristophanes (credited with writing the first recorded comedy) makes zero fucking sense to me.

I love the sudden shift from my Foghorn Leghorn post to your Aristophanes post, Jason.  I think my ears popped on the way up.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »
It seems that old cartoons are "in-bounds", so I would also like to throw Foghorn Leghorn out there.  I showed it to my daughter a while back, and she asked me, "Who's the good guy?" I thought, "Oh my God, the child is right! This is like a Neil Labute play!" 

Comparison of the Month!
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
That is great, Jon.  Though I actually think Foghorn Leghorn is better than anything LaBute has ever written.  Or Aristophanes, for that matter. 
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

emma

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Aristophanes
Most Boring Old Greek Playwright Ever. We had to read The Clouds for philosophy--it's like a super-unfunny piece of philosophy fan fiction, or something the guy you know who is always doing awful Monty Python impressions would write and then read out loud ALL THE TIME. Without being asked. With hilarious Comedy Voices for each character. Yeeeeesh.

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:40 PM »
Harold Lloyd is still hilarious.
I have a long history of booing

super unison

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »
Aristophanes
Most Boring Old Greek Playwright Ever. We had to read The Clouds for philosophy--it's like a super-unfunny piece of philosophy fan fiction, or something the guy you know who is always doing awful Monty Python impressions would write and then read out loud ALL THE TIME. Without being asked. With hilarious Comedy Voices for each character. Yeeeeesh.

It's kind of like what Tom says about satire.  The ideas are important but the jokes themselves aren't funny.  Some of Aristophanes' ideas still hold up now but to me his actual comedy pretty much boils down to fart jokes and jabs at 5th century politicians who faded into obscurity.  The Greek Lenny Bruce?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
He told it like it was, man!  Why can't it be more like the 420 B.C.'s, when comedy actually meant something.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »
Don Rickles, Jacki Gleason, Peter Cook

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
Don Rickles, Jackee Gleason, Peter Cook

Peter Cook may be old by now (and arguably, dead) but I don't consider him "old timey." 

Has anyone seen The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer?  Should I buy the R2 dvd?

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 01:05:57 AM »
Don Rickles, Jackee Gleason, Peter Cook

Peter Cook may be old by now (and arguably, dead) but I don't consider him "old timey." 

Has anyone seen The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer?  Should I buy the R2 dvd?

I thought that was pushing it

Sarah

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
Peter Cook may be . . . arguably, dead

You have doubts?