Author Topic: Beach Boys singles  (Read 2904 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Beach Boys singles
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:48:26 AM »
So, what's the canonical way to get 60s Beach Boys singles or other worthwhile non-album tracks nowadays?

Some good songs like "The Little Girl I Once Knew" never made it to a regular album.  And there's like a million cruddy Beach Boys compilations.  I have no idea which one to get.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Beach Boys singles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »
That single is included on the Good Vibrations box set which is fantastic. You can probably get it pretty cheap through the BMG Music Club.

Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of the Beach Boys is a great single disc comp.
See God, Kai

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
I put together my own comp using Rhapsody and searched for all of my favorite tracks in mono. Suprisingly, it was kind of hard to do even with 40-50 albums to pick through. I think 20 Good Vibrations and 20 More Good Vibrations gave me a good portion of them (although they aren't original mono I don't think. They're digital remasters of the original mono songs).

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Well, I already have all of the good Beach Boys LPs-- basically everything up to Holland (although calling Holland, So Tough, and Surf's Up "good" is a bit of a stretch).  So I was looking to see a way to get rarities and non-album tracks from their good period without duplicating a lot of what I already have.

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
hope this helps you out!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/50138-beach-boys-box-classic-singles-brian-wilson-tours

With digital music files fast taking over the audio marketplace, the time for compact disc nostalgia is nigh! (No really, just play along with me here.) And few acts know how to milk nostalgia for all it's worth more than the Beach Boys.

Hence we have The Beach Boys: U.S. Singles Collection - The Capitol Years (1962-1965), weighing down a record store shelf near you on June 10. The limited edition Capitol/EMI box set contains an absurd sixteen compact discs, each standing in for a classic Beach Boys single (plus one bonus disc) that sure as hell wasn't originally released on an iridescent piece of plastic.

Not only do these CD singles contain A-sides and B-sides, but most also boast alternate versions, different mixes, and live cuts, making for 66 tracks in all. You'll also get reproductions of the original single artwork and a 48-page photo book, all "housed in a striking 1960s hotrod and surfboard-inspired red and yellow box with wood inlay." If all this sounds a tad excessive, know that you can also opt for a digital version of the U.S. Singles Collection.

In related news, the mighty Brian Wilson returns to the road this summer. He'll bring a ten-piece band to Great Britain as June turns to July, then hop the pond for some U.S. shows a few days later. He'll also rock a Rainforest Foundation benefit in May alongside Feist, Sting, Billy Joel, James Taylor, and others. You might say Wilson gets around, gets around...oh nevermind.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »
pretty awesome. Thanks for spotting that. I'll certainly opt for the digital version.

It's also kind of weird that there's been no beatles singles collection. It's a cinch to get everything they've ever done on cd (past masters) but that whole artwork thing seems like a cash cow.

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »
Thanks.  Do you know what this comp is?  It appears to be missing "The Little Girl I Once Knew"/"There's No Other (Like My Baby)".

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
(although calling Surf's Up "good" is a bit of a stretch). 

How dare you besmirch "Take a Load Off Your Feet" and "Student Demonstration Time."
I'll probably go into the wee hours.