Author Topic: The Newbridgctionary  (Read 39427 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Newbridgctionary
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »
Updated all the way through to the penultimate episode, and poised to finish the project.

Forgot to mention that I finished this last night.

Final entry:

December 17, 2013: Officer Harrups [Flagrant 2132 on the Streets of Newbridge], Philly Boy Roy [In Studio], Jon Wurster [In Studio]

A nice way to go out for this incarnation of Newbridge.

As for the Newbridgctionary, I got to invent a word, and I got to turn my slapdash personal listing of all the JW calls (I listened to just the Tom and Jon calls for years before I got into listening to whole Best Shows) into an as-permanent-as-the-Internet-will-let-it-be cataloging of the greatness of Best Show-era Newbridge. My work (t)here is done.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2013, 05:04:26 AM »
Your work is immensely appreciated, buff.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2013, 06:22:56 AM »
It's been a big help for me, who got into the show the same way over the last year and a half. Thanks so much.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
Thanks, guys. By the way, I looked back over the calls from the 2013 shows, and by far my favorite of them all was Count Rockula. Nobody was hugely into that at the time, but for JW to keep that voice up for 5 minutes, only to drop it in such utter defeat, was one of the greats.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
Thanks, guys. By the way, I looked back over the calls from the 2013 shows, and by far my favorite of them all was Count Rockula. Nobody was hugely into that at the time, but for JW to keep that voice up for 5 minutes, only to drop it in such utter defeat, was one of the greats.

We are on the same page yet again. One of the best one-off characters ever imo.

• Saying "bastard" and "diddling my wife" in the Count Rockula voice
  • Believing Tom Cruise sucks the blood out of Craig T. Nelson's neck in All the Right Moves
  • A son named Mellor Eno who goes to Newbridge Vampire Day School
  • "I asked her if daddy was still in the picture." "And I was also touching Dr. Winkle when I said it."
  • Pod Locker, a Foot Locker for podcasters
  • A 50-song concept album about saving the environment, featuring members of the Gas Station Dogs, that literally had every style of music in every song. It was so poorly received that 50,000 unsold records were dumped into a landfill, killing 245 baby raccoons
  • Tom, Jon, and Jon Daly losing it over the effects of receiving a lifetime supply of Wacky Packages
  • THAT SONG, which pops into my head at least once a week
  • "Pubic domain . . . it means nobody owns it . . . like 'Campdown Razors'"
  • The box set
  • "Ew, why did you fling that at me?" <click>
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work. Amazing resource, especially for my own silly little obsession of figuring out all the family trees.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
Josh - I had forgotten how good that song was. Such poetry.

Also: "my vife" and "pubic domain."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
Thanks to Scratchbomb's Best Show logs from 2001 (http://scratchbomb.com/best_show_logs/best_show_logs_2001/), I found a 10-second Hot Rockin' Ronny call from 2001 that I had missed!

December 11, 2001: Ronny's Comin' Back (1:59)

It's possible that there are a few more of these in the early days of the show. The way I found the calls is to go through and listen to a couple of seconds of every minute of the shows. As I work my way back through the archives over the next, uh, couple of years, I may find some I missed. Still, I had found 35 of his 36 appearances of any type in 2001, and this one was less than 10-seconds long in a show he did not appear in otherwise, so I'm pretty sure it's almost complete.

JON IN PHL

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »

We are on the same page yet again. One of the best one-off characters ever imo.

• Saying "bastard" and "diddling my wife" in the Count Rockula voice
  • Believing Tom Cruise sucks the blood out of Craig T. Nelson's neck in All the Right Moves
  • A son named Mellor Eno who goes to Newbridge Vampire Day School
  • "I asked her if daddy was still in the picture." "And I was also touching Dr. Winkle when I said it."
  • Pod Locker, a Foot Locker for podcasters
  • A 50-song concept album about saving the environment, featuring members of the Gas Station Dogs, that literally had every style of music in every song. It was so poorly received that 50,000 unsold records were dumped into a landfill, killing 245 baby raccoons
  • Tom, Jon, and Jon Daly losing it over the effects of receiving a lifetime supply of Wacky Packages
  • THAT SONG, which pops into my head at least once a week
  • "Pubic domain . . . it means nobody owns it . . . like 'Campdown Razors'"
  • The box set
  • "Ew, why did you fling that at me?" <click>

Also love that call. And if I recall correctly, it turns out that he has been in a headlock for the duration of the call.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Was listening to the episode from February 5, 2013 and it's listed as "No appearance" on the site, however there is a call to prankster Brad Pembroke that should be included. Tom gives the backstory starting at 1:08:13 (time according to official WFMU archive, not the podcast) but the call begins at 1:16:45 and lasts until 1:37:41.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Was listening to the episode from February 5, 2013 and it's listed as "No appearance" on the site, however there is a call to prankster Brad Pembroke that should be included. Tom gives the backstory starting at 1:08:13 (time according to official WFMU archive, not the podcast) but the call begins at 1:16:45 and lasts until 1:37:41.

You are right! I listened to those shows while walking around - I forgot to note that one. It's updated now.

Thanks, andrewryanfetter!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
Now updated with for the New Era of the Best Show!

Bridgey

• Policemans heel
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »
Now updated with for the New Era of the Best Show!

You've put in Philly Boy Roy instead of Chad the prolific session drummer for the 20th.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
Thanks - PBR was my placeholder and I forgot to change it for that one.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
Can anyone confirm Chad's last name?
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies