Author Topic: someone forwarded me a racist joke  (Read 12470 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: someone forwarded me a racist joke
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
I got scolded in like 2004 when some Rutgers colleague - an ancient Jewish guy who was one of those lifelong-liberals-turned-neocon-by-9/11 - forwarded some pseudo-academic justification of torture the teachers' list.  An Arab-American teacher on the list politely said that he found this offensive and asked that the list not be used for such things, but OCD sucker that I am, I took the bait and actually picked apart the stupid email.

Of course, I work in the English department of a university, so even though I was convinced that the scolding meant I was going to be fired, I think it made my boss like me a little more.

The moral of the story, is: don't leave a paper trail!!!  Drive to Austin and punch her instead.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 10:56:28 PM »
post the "joke" already
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Jason

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
one of those lifelong-liberals-turned-neocon-by-9/11 -

That shit is the worst.  "I used to be a liberal, but then 9/11 showed me the error of my ways!  Or it actually just showed me that I have no willpower to back up my convictions when it becomes inconvenient and actually matters.  One of those two..."

joanna

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
fine!

An Amish farmer, walking through his field, notices a man kneeling down and drinking from his farm pond. 

The Amish farmer shouts: "Trink das wasser nicht.  Die Kuhen haben dahin gesheissen." (Which is German and means: "Don't drink the water, the cows have shit in it.")

The kneeling man shouts back: "I'm a Muslim, I don't understand you.  I speak Arabic and English.  If you can't speak in the sacred tongue of Islam, speak in English."

The Amish farmer yells: "Use two hands, you'll get more."

so, a) not even a funny joke, b) obviously is an old xenophobic joke and the "muslim" part was recently added, since it makes no sense for an amish person to randomly be anti-muslim, and c) NOT EVEN FUNNY.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
fine!

An Amish farmer, walking through his field, notices a man kneeling down and drinking from his farm pond. 

The Amish farmer shouts: "Trink das wasser nicht.  Die Kuhen haben dahin gesheissen." (Which is German and means: "Don't drink the water, the cows have shit in it.")

The kneeling man shouts back: "I'm a Muslim, I don't understand you.  I speak Arabic and English.  If you can't speak in the sacred tongue of Islam, speak in English."

The Amish farmer yells: "Use two hands, you'll get more."

so, a) not even a funny joke, b) obviously is an old xenophobic joke and the "muslim" part was recently added, since it makes no sense for an amish person to randomly be anti-muslim, and c) NOT EVEN FUNNY.

I barely see the humor in it.  Actually, this kind of disgusts me.  Can't you get someone fired for stupid shit like this?

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Sarah

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »
More offensive to the Amish than to Muslims, which took me by surprise.  In any case, I can't imagine anyone thinking it funny enough to bother forwarding. 

joanna

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »

Can't you get someone fired for stupid shit like this?

one of the people she sent it to was our boss, so i'm hoping that she was reprimanded.

Julie

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 08:47:10 AM »
It's not even a little bit funny. When I worked at Macy's, my boss's boss was a horrible racist. She thought it was okay and was pretty high on the food chain. Another girl who was being groomed to be an executive made comments about 'dirty mexicans' and not letting the immigration lawyer's clients use the same elevator as us in front of a lot of people, including her boss and two immigrants. Nothing was ever done about it, though, because I think her boss wanted to get in her pants.
I have a long history of booing

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
OK, I hate the moronic racist sentiment too, but I have to admit that I actually laff'd at weird way the joke got warped, and the fact that, evidently, a number of people were too stupid to realize how little sense it made.  Amish people hate Muslims?  Who knew?

That person should probably get in trouble, though.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

TL

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
Uh-oh, TL's stuck in his time machine again.

TL

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »
Uh-oh, TL's stuck in his time machine again.

Ha - no, that was a "joke" about the lack of a joke in the barely-even-racist "joke."

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »
I got it! (TL's)