Author Topic: Best Show allusions in Cormac McCarthy's new book, The Road  (Read 12772 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Best Show allusions in Cormac McCarthy's new book, The Road
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »
Dave Barry = the poor man's Erma Bombeck

http://www.ermamuseum.org/home.asp
See God, Kai

bruce

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
Vollman has diarrhea of the word processor. the man needs ot learn to edit his own work. Also I knew someone who did have the never ending 9 volume set of Rising Up Rising Down not that little condensed version. His books always seemed like great things to drop off the overpass, instead of cinder blocks.

Jason

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 06:32:28 PM »
the man needs ot learn to edit his own work.

"Hello can I speak to the kettle please?"
"This is the kettle speaking."
"Oh, this is the pot. I just called to say you're black."

emilyrides

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »
Sadly, I have both the unedited and condensed version of Rising up and Rising down, but I have only read the abridged version. I worked at the Strand for 5 years when I was going to engineering school, so I see 'Limited Edition' and wet my pants. Sad. The text is the same, but the multi volume version contains a bunch of maps, illustrations and case studies, that aren't really necessary to get his point.  'Whores For Gloria' or 'The Afghanistan Picture Show' are both sub 300 page Vollman books that are great introductions to his work.

As for comedy, no man is funnier than Philip Roth in 'Portnoy's Complaint'.  That is funny stuff. That book makes my face hurt from laughing. This Dave Barry character I do not know.
'You Can't Win' by Jack Black (not that Jack Black) is also  very funny, he was the original drinkingm, drugging, gambling scumbag circa 1904.
Better a Fashion Show than no Show at all.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »
Well, I read The Road in two nights and it's fantastic.  In fact, it might be the definitive post-apocalpytic tale in any medium (except for that short-lived Fox sitcom, "Whoops!").  While the Best Show allusions don't extend to the man making the boy pick a switch from the woods and then beating him with it, I could picture "carrying the fire" as a potential show catchphrase. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:32 PM »
"Carrying the fire in a tube"?
See God, Kai